+ Reply to Thread

New Audio of Lou Gehrig Discussing the Babe's Called Shot

First of all, let me just say that any audio of Lou Gehrig is simply incredible. He was such a brilliant, well-spoken man. If you've never heard it, I strongly recommend you give a listen to this radio interview from August 1939, after his retirement and famous speech. By prior agreement he did not discuss his health, but hearing him talk about the game is a rare and precious treat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX5eoiQzXwQ

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I just stumbled across this article from yesterday:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/babe-ruth-c...rig-audio-clip

Apparently this just-unearthed interview from 1932 is the only contemporaneous audio reference to Babe Ruth's famous called shot. As the man in the on-deck circle, Gehrig would be a highly valuable and credible witness -- and here he is saying on the record that the Babe really did call his shot!

It's really fun to believe this legendary event really happened, and as a Yankee fan I really want to. As the article indicates, the Gehrig biographer who discovered the audio argues that since Gehrig was such an upright and honest guy, he couldn't be stretching the truth here. But listening to the two audio samples, it's pretty clear that the 1939 interview is a genuine conversation while the 1932 interview sounds like Gehrig is reading prepared remarks. My sense is that he was having some fun with it and playing up the myth of the Babe, not testifying like someone on a witness stand.

Anyway, it's a really fun listen. Curious to know what everyone thinks.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Re: New Audio of Lou Gehrig Discussing the Babe's Called Shot

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    First of all, let me just say that any audio of Lou Gehrig is simply incredible. He was such a brilliant, well-spoken man. If you've never heard it, I strongly recommend you give a listen to this radio interview from August 1939, after his retirement and famous speech. By prior agreement he did not discuss his health, but hearing him talk about the game is a rare and precious treat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX5eoiQzXwQ

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I just stumbled across this article from yesterday:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/babe-ruth-c...rig-audio-clip

Apparently this just-unearthed interview from 1932 is the only contemporaneous audio reference to Babe Ruth's famous called shot. As the man in the on-deck circle, Gehrig would be a highly valuable and credible witness -- and here he is saying on the record that the Babe really did call his shot!

It's really fun to believe this legendary event really happened, and as a Yankee fan I really want to. As the article indicates, the Gehrig biographer who discovered the audio argues that since Gehrig was such an upright and honest guy, he couldn't be stretching the truth here. But listening to the two audio samples, it's pretty clear that the 1939 interview is a genuine conversation while the 1932 interview sounds like Gehrig is reading prepared remarks. My sense is that he was having some fun with it and playing up the myth of the Babe, not testifying like someone on a witness stand.

Anyway, it's a really fun listen. Curious to know what everyone thinks.

Thank you. I truly enjoyed your post and links. I'd believe Gehrig because of his renowned class and honesty. However the argument that the Babe was simply indicating strike two, always seemed to make more sense to me. Again, thank you for the links. I'll be saving them in my collection of Yankee videos.
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

First time I hear the 1939 interview - a hidden gem. Thank you for sharing this. Amazing to hear his insights in such detail!
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

Terrific find Lou. Thanks for sharing.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

Thatís a revelation, Lou. Iíve heard Ruth plenty of times, and it always sound like he was playing Babe Ruth. Gehrig was just being himself.

Thread Information