+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

2020 Post-Season Notes and Discussion

It seems proper to start a new thread since it is now the Post-Season.
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Re: 2020 Post-Season Notes and Discussion

Since Blake used to be the Bieber's pitching coach, maybe he can help the offense out a bit.
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

NYYF Legend

Sure hope this thread lasts more than 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Sure hope this thread lasts more than 4 days.
    Well, it dawned on me that it's no longer the Regular Season - so why not this new thread?

I am hoping for the best and expecting the worst. Pitching and defense are so important in the playoffs.

It's eerily quiet in here. What a weird calm-before-the-storm feeling.

If I'm going to be honest, I have no expectations that this Yankee team has what it takes to go all the way. They just seem wildly inconsistent and they have too many holes in their lineup, guys who are utterly helpless in the face of any pitcher who knows their weaknesses and can execute his pitches. They destroy mistakes, but that's about it. I don't even think they know how to drive up pitch counts and get into the bullpen like the good old Yankee teams used to do.

And yet, they have a true ace going in Game 1 and a playoff warrior going in Game 2. These guys are both capable of matching zeroes, especially against a weak offense. They just need to keep the ball in the park.

If they find a way to win tomorrow night, it changes everything. Get through this first round, and they will always have a puncher's chance because when their punches land, they hit hard.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

I don't buy the Matt Blake angle. Bieber is too good of a pitcher. He has 4 plus pitches. Three of his offspeed pitches had a +50% whiff rate. That is iNSANE. 51.5% (curve), 53.7% (changeup), and 61.2 % (slider).

Hopefully he's nervous in his first career postseason start, and you can maybe get an early run or two off him, or run up his pitch count and try to score against his pen.

I don't want to see Gary in this series, but we all know we will. I despise the notion we can be a stronger team and choose not to due to feelings.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

I suspect by this time tomorrow night there will be some commentary!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Well, it dawned on me that it's no longer the Regular Season - so why not this new thread?

I am hoping for the best and expecting the worst. Pitching and defense are so important in the playoffs.
    Oh I agree with you about this thread.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I suspect by this time tomorrow night there will be some commentary!
    Once we know the lineup I am sure there could be a lot of commentary.

NYYF Legend

Let’s hope this is a really long thread.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I’ll guess
    DJL 2B
    Judge RF
    Voit 1B
    Stanton DH
    Gio 3B
    Gleyber SS
    Hicks CF
    Frazier LF
    Higgy C
    Cole on the bump.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Hicks will be higher.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Just read an interesting NY TIMES article re Matt Blake:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/25/s...e-yankees.html
    The article is quite complimentary of him.

Yet, I can't help but wonder why Cleveland would let him go if he was so good there or why he would leave after being so well liked and supposedly so successful.

Did the Yankees just "make him an offer he couldn't refuse" or did he just tire of bein' in Cleveland and figured he'd jump at the chance to get with the Yankees? Just wonderin'...
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock Ada Shot View Post
    Just read an interesting NY TIMES article re Matt Blake:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/25/s...e-yankees.html
    The article is quite complimentary of him.

Yet, I can't help but wonder why Cleveland would let him go if he was so good there or why he would leave after being so well liked and supposedly so successful.

Did the Yankees just "make him an offer he couldn't refuse" or did he just tire of bein' in Cleveland and figured he'd jump at the chance to get with the Yankees? Just wonderin'...
    The Yankees offered him a promotion over his job with the Cleveland Baseball Team.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The Yankees offered him a promotion over his job with the Cleveland Baseball Team.

Thanks for the info. So, as good as he was in Cleveland, they wouldn't match the offer so they wouldn't lose him? Seems strange.
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYYF Legend

Thanks for the info. So, as good as he was in Cleveland, they wouldn't match the offer so they wouldn't lose him? Seems strange.
    Well that would have involved terminating their current pitching coach whom the seem to like quite a bit.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Why’s that? Blake was one of the pitching coordinators for the Indians. The Indians like their pitching developmental staff. When a sports team’s coaching staff is really good at what it sets out to do, the downside is the risk of teams syphoning away members of said staff. The Yankees were willing to give him a promotion to a MLB pitching coach job.

It’s not about matching dollar for dollar. It’s about promotion.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

NYYF Legend

An example of this is how the Rays’ front office staff gets hired away (Aaron Click, Chaim Bloom, Andrew Friedman - the latter wasn’t technically a promotion, just left for greener pastures)..

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Why’s that? Blake was one of the pitching coordinators for the Indians. The Indians like their pitching developmental staff. When a sports team’s coaching staff is really good at what it sets out to do, the downside is the risk of teams syphoning away members of said staff. The Yankees were willing to give him a promotion to a MLB pitching coach job.

It’s not about matching dollar for dollar. It’s about promotion.

Got it. Thanks. I just hope he's as effective for the Yankees as he was for Cleveland.

I do not expect the Yankees to win the Cleveland series. The bats will fall silent once again. You have to have some players hitting on all cylinders to win a short series where you face the best pitching an opponent has. Other than DJ who is hitting? Maybe Urshella but no one else.
    I hope I am wrong but I expect to see failures with men on base from the usual suspects. I am talking about Hicks, Sanchez, Torres, Stanton and even Judge and Voit. That is the whole lineup. The pitching will have to limit Cleveland to three or less runs per game for the Yankees to have a chance unless I am completely wrong and I hope I am.

After the series is over we can go back to who does or does not get fired, who stays and who goes and who will be claimed from the scrap heap.

NYYF Legend

Got it. Thanks. I just hope he's as effective for the Yankees as he was for Cleveland.
    He’ll have a few years to build the system he wants to implement!

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I’ll guess
    DJL 2B
    Judge RF
    Voit 1B
    Stanton DH
    Gio 3B
    Gleyber SS
    Hicks CF
    Frazier LF
    Higgy C
    Cole on the bump.
    They’ll have Gardner in there over Frazier.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    They’ll have Gardner in there over Frazier.
    I had heard that Gardner over Frazier would be a "who's hot decision", but looking at their respective recent performances, there isn't that much difference - their last 14 days numbers:

Frazier .237/.408/.500/.908
    Gardner .385/.500/.538/1.038

Neither batter has that much history against Bieber - Frazier is 1 for 1, while Gardner is 1 for 3 with a three run HR.

I don't know if you can go wrong either way here - however, it will be a test of the "Frazier has earned his ABs" attitude recently.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I had heard that Gardner over Frazier would be a "who's hot decision", but looking at their respective recent performances, there isn't that much difference - their last 14 days numbers:

Frazier .237/.408/.500/.908
    Gardner .385/.500/.538/1.038

Neither batter has that much history against Bieber - Frazier is 1 for 1, while Gardner is 1 for 3 with a three run HR.

I don't know if you can go wrong either way here - however, it will be a test of the "Frazier has earned his ABs" attitude recently.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, if it were my call to make, Frazier should be a no brainer - his 2020 performance has earned it. He helped carry this team while Judge and Staton were out, but we know how Cashman and Boone love their veterans...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

They better not be importing midges to the Stadium. That seems like so long ago, like 13 years.

Thread Information