+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: 2020 DJ LeMahieu Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I have a hunch that DJL has a very different attitude and mindset when it comes to this. He wanted to come here in 2019. Cano didnít appreciate what he had while he had it.

But he is a good example of a dipass.
    It's possible, but I think "sweetheart deals" are really rare. Players may have cities/teams they rather play for, but the money generally needs to be very close. And with DJL, although it seemed to some like on overpay when signed, his expiring two year deal with the Yankees delivered so much surplus value he may feel that he already gave the team their sweetheart deal. And for him to feel respected (a la Cano) he may expect them to pay market value.

I guess I just wouldn't expect him to leave significant guaranteed money on the table to sign with the Yankees.

I have a hunch that DJL has a very different attitude and mindset when it comes to this. He wanted to come here in 2019. Cano didnít appreciate what he had while he had it.

But he is a good example of a dipass.

Would love to hear what you are basing this all on.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He smiled too much.
    I agree this was mostly the problem with Cano. Smiling back then was frowned upon IIRC.

"Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I remember Mo criticizing Canoís heart. Imagine the greatest Closer of all time ever criticizing you for your work ethic, thatís saying a whole lot. Thatís like Babe Ruth questioning your drive. Thatís gotta hurt, and he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    It was reported a number of times that DJL wanted to come to NY and was thrilled about being offered a deal. And he took the deal with the understanding he’d be a backup/utility player so that solidifies my hunch. He could have gotten a guaranteed full time gig somewhere else. Thankfully he accepted the offer and then popped and he’s what he is right now.

As for Cano, he turned down a very reasonable deal by the Yankees. More money per year but for less years. He chose to go for the final number with the longer contract. He went there and sucked for a bit. Then crept up to be a very good player, but not close to the stud he was here. Then he waived his NTC to get traded to the Mets. I think he regretted it and that makes him a dipass. If I were him I would have regretted that decision so my saying that was just putting together the situation and forming an opinion.

NYYF Legend

It was reported a number of times that DJL wanted to come to NY and was thrilled about being offered a deal. And he took the deal with the understanding heíd be a backup/utility player so that solidifies my hunch. He could have gotten a guaranteed full time gig somewhere else. Thankfully he accepted the offer and then popped and heís what he is right now.

As for Cano, he turned down a very reasonable deal by the Yankees. More money per year but for less years. He chose to go for the final number with the longer contract. He went there and sucked for a bit. Then crept up to be a very good player, but not close to the stud he was here. Then he waived his NTC to get traded to the Mets. I think he regretted it and that makes him a dipass. If I were him I would have regretted that decision so my saying that was just putting together the situation and forming an opinion.
    Nice post, I'm with you on both counts.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I remember Mo criticizing Canoís heart. Imagine the greatest Closer of all time ever criticizing you for your work ethic, thatís saying a whole lot. Thatís like Babe Ruth questioning your drive. Thatís gotta hurt, and he deserves it.
    You know, I vaguely remember this. Is it in print anywhere?

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    You know, I vaguely remember this. Is it in print anywhere?
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...506-story.html

ďThis guy has so much talent I donít know where to start. There is no doubt that he is a Hall-of-Fame caliber player. Itís just a question of whether he finds the drive you need to get there. I donít think Robby burns to be the best. You donít see that red-hot passion in him that you see in most elite players.Ē

It was reported a number of times that DJL wanted to come to NY and was thrilled about being offered a deal. And he took the deal with the understanding heíd be a backup/utility player so that solidifies my hunch. He could have gotten a guaranteed full time gig somewhere else. Thankfully he accepted the offer and then popped and heís what he is right now.

Still seems like a lot of assumptions are being made, as evidenced by "I think he regretted it" and "If I were him I would have regretted that decision..." The fact is, Cano took the highest offer, as many free agents do. Was there a higher offer out there for DJL that he turned down to come to NY?

As far as the assertion that Cano "sucked for a bit" after he signed, that is simply not substantiated by the numbers. In his 4 years with Seattle he played in an average of 156 games per year, averaged 24 homers, had a .295 batting average, with a .351 OBP, an .823 OPS, and a 128 OPS+. By contrast, in his last four years with the Yankees he played in an average of 160 games per year, averaged 29 homers, had a .312 batting average, with a .373 OBP, a .906 OPS, and a 142 OPS+. I don't think anyone is going to say an .823 OPS second baseman "sucked."

Finally, Cano was traded to the Mets after he was in Seattle for 5 years. In none of those 5 years did the Mariners play in the postseason. Who knows what his motivations were at that point or if he regretted anything? I certainly don't.

You seem a little more concerned about this than I am. I really don’t care. I was judging the situation from the outside. None of us know what goes through these dudes’ minds. I explained my reasons. You’re free to disagree.

You seem a little more concerned about this than I am. I really donít care. I was judging the situation from the outside. None of us know what goes through these dudesí minds. I explained my reasons. Youíre free to disagree.

It isn't just that I disagree with your opinion. I also disagree with how you presented it. I took exception to your portrayal of Cano and how you counterposed this to your version of DJL. You are now saying that "I was judging the situation from the outside. None of us know what goes through these dudesí minds." But that isn't how you presented it. You said, "Cano didnít appreciate what he had while he had it." You didn't use any qualifiers. You could have said, "In my opinion, Cano didnít appreciate what he had while he had it." That still would be wildly unfounded, but at least it wouldn't have been presented as a fact.

NYYF Legend

Thanks. Very telling. Mo's not the type to criticize a teammate unless said player deserves to be criticized. I agree with you.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    It's not like Babe Ruth's and Mantleís heart were always at the game either.

DJ is the American League Player of the Week.
    Also: ďLeMahieu, who is currently pacing the AL in batting average (.361), is attempting to become the Yankees' first batting champion since Bernie Williams in 1998, and the second in MLB history to win the title in both leagues, joining Hall of Famer Ed Delahanty

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/09/y...-the-week.html
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    It's not like Babe Ruth's and Mantleís heart were always at the game either.
    Are we really going to compare Robinson Cano to Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    The point is that drawing an analogy between Rivera and Ruth was silly. Rivera had an elite work ethic, so he's in a position to question the work ethic of another player. Ruth was in no position to question anybody's work ethic.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    The point is that drawing an analogy between Rivera and Ruth was silly. Rivera had an elite work ethic, so he's in a position to question the work ethic of another player. Ruth was in no position to question anybody's work ethic.
    I think he took his beer-and-hooker workouts very seriously.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I remember that issue being reported on! Plus, he was getting railed for being “lazy”. The press killed him on it. It was a total misrepresentation I believe. He played the game relaxed and at a certain pace which made him as good as he was. To change that could have been extremely detrimental to his defense and his offense. I would have had him run a little harder to first, but overall I wanted them to back down on this because even if it looks lazy it doesn’t mean he’s not in a lane that works.
    I got to know him a little bit, personally. Even his mom said he's just a relaxed person, and it's very true. He's just a very chill dude. He didn't just become one of the games best players because of some magical talent. Sure, he had talent, but no amount of talent is going to make a you an MLB all star without an incredible amount of hard work. I think some of you really miss how much work needs to be put in to be an average MLB player.

When I screw something up, I don't take it nearly as hard as my GF does. It's not because I'm any less hard working than her (I work way more hours) or I care less. Different people just react to stuff differently.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

It looks like he will have the highest average in either league since Josh Hamilton's .359 in 2010 or Joe Mauer's .365 in 2009. Mauer, Magglio Ordonez, Ichiro, Chipper Jones, and Barry Bonds are the only players to bat at least .360 in at least one year from 2001 to 2019. If he has 1 hit in 1 to 3 at-bats or 2 hits in 4 or 5 at-bats, he will finish higher than Paul O'Neill's .359 in 1994 and have the highest batting average by a Yankee who won the batting title since DiMaggio in 1939. It will be the fifth consecutive Yankee batting title that was in an even year. A Yankee hasn't won a batting batting title in an odd year since Snuffy Stirnweiss in 1945.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Only two of the three were alcoholics but only one of the three were suspended for PEDs.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    It looks like he will have the highest average in either league since Josh Hamilton's .359 in 2010 or Joe Mauer's .365 in 2009. Mauer, Magglio Ordonez, Ichiro, Chipper Jones, and Barry Bonds are the only players to bat at least .360 in at least one year from 2001 to 2019. If he has 1 hit in 1 to 3 at-bats or 2 hits in 4 or 5 at-bats, he will finish higher than Paul O'Neill's .359 in 1994 and have the highest batting average by a Yankee who won the batting title since DiMaggio in 1939. It will be the fifth consecutive Yankee batting title that was in an even year. A Yankee hasn't won a batting batting title in an odd year since Snuffy Stirnweiss in 1945.
    Not sure I understand this one. How would him going 1 for 3 raise his current .359 average? He'd need to go 1-2, or 2 for 4/5, no?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Not sure I understand this one. How would him going 1 for 3 raise his current .359 average? He'd need to go 1-2, or 2 for 4/5, no?
    If he goes 1/3 or better he won’t drop below O’Neal with rounding is how I take it since he’s currently above 359

I haven’t checked his actual numbers, that’s just my best guess.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I wonder what it will take to resign him, but the Yankees definitely need to. This is a no brainer.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    I wonder what it will take to resign him, but the Yankees definitely need to. This is a no brainer.
    I'm thinking a good starting offer could be 3yrs for $66M and 4yrs for $84M. I'm assuming the penalty-free payroll ceiling for 2022 will be higher after the new CBA takes effect.

I'm going to start looking to see what other contending teams will need or want to pay for DJ.
    I'm guessing he won't go where postseason chances are slimmer than in NY. My guess/hope is the list will be small, and that the Red Sox, Rays and Jays aren't on it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I'm thinking a good starting offer could be 3yrs for $66M and 4yrs for $84M. I'm assuming the penalty-free payroll ceiling for 2022 will be higher after the new CBA takes effect.

I'm going to start looking to see what other contending teams will need or want to pay for DJ.
    I'm guessing he won't go where postseason chances are slimmer than in NY. My guess/hope is the list will be small, and that the Red Sox, Rays and Jays aren't on it.
    Why wouldnít BOS be interested? Heíd hit .500 in Fenway Park.
    ďNobody teaches life anything.Ē - Gabriel GarcŪa MŠrquez

Thread Information