+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2020 Masahiro Tanaka Performance Thread

In honor of his fantastic 2nd start of 2020, I figured now would be a good time to start his own thread. Looks like he picked up left right where he left off after last years post-season. I have to think his new wind up might be helping. He's high on my "must re-sign" list right now.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2020 Masahiro Tanaka Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RyRy89 View Post
    In honor of his fantastic 2nd start of 2020, I figured now would be a good time to start his own thread. Looks like he picked up left right where he left off after last years post-season. I have to think his new wind up might be helping. He's high on my "must re-sign" list right now.
    Damn right considering the other options are Paxton and Happ.

Tanaka does not have it tonight. This team can't beat good pitching and struggles against good teams . Same story different year.

Aside from the one bad pitch tonight, he was very solid

NYYF Legend

Very happy for Tanaka tonight. I'd like to see him start building a case to be re-signed this offseason.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

His in-game adjustment is always impressive.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    His in-game adjustment is always impressive.
    I understand that from time to time Tanaka doesn't have that pinpoint command & location, and will get hit hard if he doesn't have it. But I think he's a strong #2 behind Cole and would really baffle hitters after a Cole start.

I'm pretty confident he'll be able to summon up his "ace" qualities over these next 6 or 7 weeks. As an upcoming FA, I think Masa will be making a case for getting a new contract from the Yankees.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Very happy for Tanaka tonight. I'd like to see him start building a case to be re-signed this offseason.
    It's going to be interesting to see how much of an effort they make to retain him.
    I say this because it's contract length, and not money, that I can see being an issue.

He's at an age (32 in November) where anything more that 2-3 years is extremely risky.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

I understand that from time to time Tanaka doesn't have that pinpoint command & location, and will get hit hard if he doesn't have it. But I think he's a strong #2 behind Cole and would really baffle hitters after a Cole start.

I'm pretty confident he'll be able to summon up his "ace" qualities over these next 6 or 7 weeks. As an upcoming FA, I think Masa will be making a case for getting a new contract from the Yankees.
    I would think with Paxton and Happ gone next season the only hold up with Tanaka would be how many years he would want.

NYYF Legend

Yes I agree that the length is what'll be negotiated. I can see the Yanks only wanting to go 3 years, possibly open to a 4th, but balk at a 5th.

For some reason I imagine Tanaka will be loyal to the organization kind of like Matsui was.

3yrs/$75M or 4yrs/$88M ??

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how much of an effort they make to retain him.
    I say this because it's contract length, and not money, that I can see being an issue.

He's at an age (32 in November) where anything more that 2-3 years is extremely risky.
    I agree that too long a contract is very risky, but this is true for pitchers at every age. Some of the best pitchers in MLB are in their mid/upper 30s (Scherzer, Verlander, Morton, Darvish). And yes, some of these guys are coming back from injury, but that is true for pitchers of all ages. So I would be comfortable with a 4 or even 5 year contract for Tanaka with maybe a buyout in year 5.

Yes I agree that the length is what'll be negotiated. I can see the Yanks only wanting to go 3 years, possibly open to a 4th, but balk at a 5th.

For some reason I imagine Tanaka will be loyal to the organization kind of like Matsui was.

3yrs/$75M or 4yrs/$88M ??
    I can't see Tanaka getting that much. After COVID I think contracts will suffer. I'd expect closer to 2yr/40 or 3yr/50. Wouldn't be unheard of for him to take the Qualifying offer if the market if he's worried the market is going to be really bad.

NYYF Legend

Cashman was willing to offer a 36 years old Happ 2 years contract with a conditional option. I doubt Cashman is only willing to offer a 32 years old Tanaka 3 years contract.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I can't see Tanaka getting that much. After COVID I think contracts will suffer. I'd expect closer to 2yr/40 or 3yr/50. Wouldn't be unheard of for him to take the Qualifying offer if the market if he's worried the market is going to be really bad.
    That would be a sweet deal for the Yanks, IMO. Not so much for Tanaka.

Yeah, the QO might be a good negotiating tool for both sides.

Overall, though, I think he should be wined & dined. I hope the Yankee strategy isn't to play hard-to-get. This guy likes transparency, I believe.

NYYF Legend

Another thing re: Masa's AAV - you have to pay a little extra for his reputation as a Big Game pitcher in October.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ing_postseason

Death Star Fully Operational

The effect of this pandemic is going to be interesting this winter when it comes to free agent contracts. There are a lot of questions regarding how much teams are willing to spend for next season and beyond.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Cashman was willing to offer a 36 years old Happ 2 years contract with a conditional option. I doubt Cashman is only willing to offer a 32 years old Tanaka 3 years contract.
    Not comparable because:

1) Happ's elbow wasn't a ticking time bomb
    2) Pre-COVID - economic landscape is vastly different now

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The effect of this pandemic is going to be interesting this winter when it comes to free agent contracts. There are a lot of questions regarding how much teams are willing to spend for next season and beyond.
    Agreed 100%. My gut tells me things may get messy this winter, with some agents (I'm looking at you, Scott Boras), claiming owners are leveraging the pandemic as an excuse to lowball players.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Agreed 100%. My gut tells me things may get messy this winter, with some agents (I'm looking at you, Scott Boras), claiming owners are leveraging the pandemic as an excuse to lowball players.
    lol playing hardball isn't just done on the field

Tanaka is the 2nd best starter available this off season behind Bauer. He's going to get paid. Zach Wheeler turned a 3.96 ERA last season into 118 million dollars. Covid or not, he's gettinga contract for 3-4 years at over 20 million a year.

NYYF Legend

What if it comes down to either signing Tanaka or DJ. Who do they sign?

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    What if it comes down to either signing Tanaka or DJ. Who do they sign?
    If it comes down to one or the other, you sign both.
    Let the kids play.

I think it is entirely possible that resigning Tanaka and DJ are the only moves we make in the offseason. Paxton, Gardner, Ellsbury, and Happ will all be off the books. That money will be used to resign Tanaka, resign DJ, and pay for the bumps in arbitration because we have A LOT of guys in arbitration next year. Kahnle, Judge, Sanchez, Green, Urshela, Cessa, Montgomery, Holder, Andujar, Voit, and Gleyber will all be getting raises through arbitration. It will be interesting to see the arbitration estimates from mlbtraderumors because that will be a lot more money than people think.

NYYF Legend

If they don't re-sign Tanaka, the rotation would be Cole, Severino, Monty, Garcia and maybe Schmidt. Don't see it happening. Paxton could be an option but the risk of re-signing him is even higher. Some teams would overpay Paxton's stuff just like Wheeler.

Most importantly about Tanaka, he doesn't speak English well enough to get ruined by the pitching staff- or is somehow otherwise immune to their "help."

As far as Covid, teams won't have as much money to pay. That's a reality and they're also looking at what the global economy will look like in 2-3 years when we're done printing money and borrowing like crazy.

Thread Information