+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 437
  1. #1
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Michael Rizzuto
    @RyanFlo98077565

    Replying to @Yankees
    Since June 23rd of last year Gary Sanchez:
    61 games
    .173 batting average
    .275 OBP
    22 walks
    80 strikeouts
    208 at bats

  2. #2
    The King dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    He is an embarrassing player. He doesnt seem to be smart enough or care enough to even try to make adjustments either. Its "swing for the fences" every single AB.

    I just dont understand what happened after 2017, but that Gary is long gone.

  3. #3
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    He might get hot, but we needed less of his batting profile type. Add in the defense. We should have moved on in the offseason.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  4. #4
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    (yesterday) I thought DFAing Iannetta was a mistake. Now it looks like he is leaving (opting out). Look this guy did fine and a filler - like David Hale he can start and relief. I would sign him as insurance. It's a short season and we don't have time to wait. To the other poster about playing Tauch (Yankee chip) in LF and promoting him from 4th to starting - a good move.

    Yankees placed C Chris Iannetta on the restricted list.
    Iannetta had been designated for assignment earlier in the week -- then sent outright to the team's alternate training site. While there has been no official word on the reason behind the move to the restricted list, it's possible that the veteran backstop has decided to opt out of the 2020 season.

    Aug 7, 2020, 11:05 PM ET

    https://www.mlb.com/yankees/stats/spring-training

  5. #5

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    I feel bad for Sanchez and wonder if the organization in a way has ruined or at least hurt his development. Every year they seem to completely change what he is doing defensively and fans call him lazy all the time, but he works his tail off to adapt to new coaching and try to make improvements. He dramatically improves his passed balls last year, but then the Yankees decide you know what pitch framing is more important so we're going to live with the passed balls even though the fans are going to eat you alive for them that's not going to do anything to your confidence though.

    Offensively he's done nothing but regress since making it to the majors. He's bought into the organizational philosophy of launch angle and exit velocity and he's doing what the team wants, but again is getting murdered publicly for it.

    If I were him I'd look for outside help in the offseason on his swing getting back to fundamental aspects that will lead to more consistent higher quality ABs especially against tougher pitching. Defensively I guess he has to do what the Yankees tell him and just drown out the noise, but I do truly feel for him because he's trying. A lot of his struggles are not his fault and the lazy moniker is really unfair.

  6. #6
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I feel bad for Sanchez and wonder if the organization in a way has ruined or at least hurt his development. Every year they seem to completely change what he is doing defensively and fans call him lazy all the time, but he works his tail off to adapt to new coaching and try to make improvements. He dramatically improves his passed balls last year, but then the Yankees decide you know what pitch framing is more important so we're going to live with the passed balls even though the fans are going to eat you alive for them that's not going to do anything to your confidence though.

    Offensively he's done nothing but regress since making it to the majors. He's bought into the organizational philosophy of launch angle and exit velocity and he's doing what the team wants, but again is getting murdered publicly for it.

    If I were him I'd look for outside help in the offseason on his swing getting back to fundamental aspects that will lead to more consistent higher quality ABs especially against tougher pitching. Defensively I guess he has to do what the Yankees tell him and just drown out the noise, but I do truly feel for him because he's trying. A lot of his struggles are not his fault and the lazy moniker is really unfair.
    His technique is lazy. That wild pitch gets caught by 75% of MLB catchers because they get off their butt and square the pitch instead of simply crossing their body with their glove to make the catch. Some catchers simply do not have a goalie instinct. Sanchez is one of them.

    I guess that’s OK, so long as you’re not garbage at the plate.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

  7. #7

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    His technique is lazy. That wild pitch gets caught by 75% of MLB catchers because they get off their butt and square the pitch instead of simply crossing their body with their glove to make the catch. Some catchers simply do not have a goalie instinct. Sanchez is one of them.

    I guess that’s OK, so long as you’re not garbage at the plate.
    How is it lazy when you say it is instincts that he just doesn't have? Lazy implies he just doesn't want to put in the effort to do it which feels unfair. If you want to knock his instincts, reaction time and overall defensive talent I'll agree with that, but I don't think it makes him lazy especially when he is doing everything the organization is asking him to do.

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    At the end of the day, can’t or won’t is perhaps looking for a distinction where none exists. If he’s not getting the job done, they need to move on.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

  9. #9

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    At the end of the day, can’t or won’t is perhaps looking for a distinction where none exists. If he’s not getting the job done, they need to move on.
    Well my point wasn't about his performance which is obviously not cutting it right now, but was about where blame should be placed and I think the organization deserves a bit especially for his offensive declines. His defense was always going to be spotty because as you mentioned he doesn't have the talent to be both a good pitch framer and a decent pitch blocker. He can maybe do one or the other and they've spent a lot of time tugging him back and forth between the two. That said IMO (you may disagree) that level of defense would have been fine if his offense hadn't declined so much and he was able to give more consistent higher quality ABs giving the Yankees a distinct offensive advantage at catcher to offset the defensive limitations. The Yankees should've picked a lane with him, stuck to it, said so publicly and taken the pressure off of Gary's defense and focused on getting the best of him offensively and not just from a exit velo boom or bust type of approach. His offense is where the focus needs to be, his K rate is consistently increasing year over year, his BB rate is on the decline, and obviously his contact rate has become abysmal. He was not always this player and maybe the demands of catching are the cause even though he's not even 28, but maybe it was also at least partially because the Yankees have not just recognized what we've all known for a while is that Gary Sanchez is a mediocre defender on his best days, let him focus on hitting and use defensive replacements in key moments in games where a PB could be the difference.

    At this point though there's a very good chance that you are right and he is just too far gone to take that approach and the team just needs to cut bait, but I think its wrong to put all of that blame on him and that was my big point. And I think we have to be mindful for the next guy that the organization may lead them towards the same offensive mindset (boom or bust) hopefully with better results though.

  10. #10
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    It's Katz and not Iannetti (mistake?). It's the K% and Kratz is low. Blame has to go around. I don't think he is lazy and he was hurt or not 100% of last year. Sanchez is another great prospect (for me top 10 catcher even with the pass balls?) that I feel we just can't improve and develop. I don't know the details (Joe and Pena was good and new trainer) but I hate his swing. Last year he had difficulty with off speed now like Andujar he's a mess. Last year: it was HR or bust - this Brian team and he does the roster (no I don't have a link).

    Clint is another example who did everything and can't catch a break. I can help but think Torres is next.

    I do feel bad for him because he isn't happy either.

  11. #11
    The King dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I feel bad for Sanchez and wonder if the organization in a way has ruined or at least hurt his development. Every year they seem to completely change what he is doing defensively and fans call him lazy all the time, but he works his tail off to adapt to new coaching and try to make improvements. He dramatically improves his passed balls last year, but then the Yankees decide you know what pitch framing is more important so we're going to live with the passed balls even though the fans are going to eat you alive for them that's not going to do anything to your confidence though.

    Offensively he's done nothing but regress since making it to the majors. He's bought into the organizational philosophy of launch angle and exit velocity and he's doing what the team wants, but again is getting murdered publicly for it.

    If I were him I'd look for outside help in the offseason on his swing getting back to fundamental aspects that will lead to more consistent higher quality ABs especially against tougher pitching. Defensively I guess he has to do what the Yankees tell him and just drown out the noise, but I do truly feel for him because he's trying. A lot of his struggles are not his fault and the lazy moniker is really unfair.
    I do think its interesting that his best two seasons were with Girardi, who supposedly Gary didnt like because he was "too hard on him" and wasnt brought back after 2017 because of his lack of warm relationship with younger players and supposedly being too stern with them. You can infer what you want with that, but I think Girardi riding Gary was a big issue. Maybe Girardi recognized though that Gary needed that type of management? Some guys just do. Not everyone responds to the hands off "lets always be nice" approach. Some guys need that constant riding. Perhaps Girardi saw that, and frankly it worked because Gary hit at an elite level.

    Girardi leaves, they bring in Boone and talk about how great his relationship is with everyone, and we're all best friends and all that other fluff. Sanchez has been mostly terrible since.

    Maybe this is just a coincidence. I dont think it is though.

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Clint is another example who did everything and can't catch a break. I can help but think Torres is next.
    Next at what?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  13. #13
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    yes, Gary needs to tap into his talent.
    Last edited by hardrain; 08-09-20 at 12:41 PM.
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

  14. #14
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Next at what?
    I was wrong to use Torres as next in line of my disappointments.

    (I worry too much about how our development program, pitching, hitting, and fielding just doesn't improve our young players into stars. We seem to trade for weakness rather than develop our players that we have. I believe in Torres can be a 5-7 WAR player with his fielding improvement (doing a great job). A star. I don't understand his slow start so I just worry he is next. With Andujar probably being DH for Stanton - I would have/hope Torres -Andujar, back to back in the lineup. They seem to feed off each other)

  15. #15
    All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I feel bad for Sanchez and wonder if the organization in a way has ruined or at least hurt his development. Every year they seem to completely change what he is doing defensively and fans call him lazy all the time, but he works his tail off to adapt to new coaching and try to make improvements. He dramatically improves his passed balls last year, but then the Yankees decide you know what pitch framing is more important so we're going to live with the passed balls even though the fans are going to eat you alive for them that's not going to do anything to your confidence though.

    Offensively he's done nothing but regress since making it to the majors. He's bought into the organizational philosophy of launch angle and exit velocity and he's doing what the team wants, but again is getting murdered publicly for it.

    If I were him I'd look for outside help in the offseason on his swing getting back to fundamental aspects that will lead to more consistent higher quality ABs especially against tougher pitching. Defensively I guess he has to do what the Yankees tell him and just drown out the noise, but I do truly feel for him because he's trying. A lot of his struggles are not his fault and the lazy moniker is really unfair.
    $20 says he becomes an absolute beast the moment the Yankees move him to another team.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  16. #16

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    $20 says he becomes an absolute beast the moment the Yankees move him to another team.
    I think if they moved him now he would definitely thrive elsewhere at least offensively or if nothing else would be more appreciated in a lineup that doesn't have so many similar profile hitters and in an organization that's used to getting little to no offensive production from catcher. It certainly wouldn't hurt his confidence to be in that type of environment. But the criticism here is warranted because we don't need what he is bringing to the plate, we need someone that can put up good PAs against great pitching.

    That said right or wrong I fully expect them to hold Gary through arbitration years unless his skills deteriorate to the point of a non-tender. Hopefully they at least try something with his swing and approach, but it doesn't seem like the organization feels there is a problem there which frankly is the problem. But maybe Gary himself will get fed up and find outside help himself. The Yankees also need to do him some favors late in close games by using a defensive replacement when a PB can change the game especially if this pitching staff especially the late inning relievers which can be wild with nasty heat and breaking pitches. Even if we risk the emergency catcher situation I think its worth the risk.

  17. #17

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    $20 says he becomes an absolute beast the moment the Yankees move him to another team.

    I would take that bet. I'm thinking the only reason he's any "good" at all now is because he's got the prestigious NYY to play for. I think if he goes to a more mundane team, he'd lose all motivation and fade into nothingness.

  18. #18
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Gary wouldn't be starting on most other teams. His D is spotty-at-best and he's hitting the weight of a 10 year old child.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

  19. #19

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Gary wouldn't be starting on most other teams. His D is spotty-at-best and he's hitting the weight of a 10 year old child.
    Oh totally. Without his past numbers, it would be laughable to think a team would start a defensively inept catcher that's batting .100.

  20. #20
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Gary wouldn't be starting on most other teams. His D is spotty-at-best and he's hitting the weight of a 10 year old child.
    He absolutely would be. Have you seen how bad the catching position is around baseball?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  21. #21
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    As absurd as it may be, The team is at the point where it will need to carry three catchers, one to replace Gary in the late innings of games where they are ahead by 1 or 2 runs - since his defense is so horrific, inept and uninspired.



    When one couples this with the fact that he is rocking a .100 BA with astonishing amount of strikeouts, it really makes one wonder how long this will continue.



    I have never cringed so much about a Yankee catcher when a runner was on base. Give me Jake Gibbs. Give me Brad Gulden. Give me Juan Espino. Give me Barry Foote. Give me Butch Wynegar. Give me Bob Geren. Give me Ron Hassey.
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

  22. #22
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    ^^^^^I liked Ron Hassey!
    Let the kids play.

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Jake Gibbs was pretty good. And he could actually catch the ball.

  24. #24
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Jake Gibbs was pretty good. And he could actually catch the ball.
    Gibbs, Hassey...I would take any and all those guys.
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

  25. #25
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Jake Gibbs was pretty good. And he could actually catch the ball.
    I have a deep fondness for the teams of my childhood, but Jake Gibbs was not good.

    Guys I would not take over Sánchez include Joel Skinner.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts