+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17
    How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

Re: 2020 Gary Sanchez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I will cop to having a mostly irrational distate for Sanchez' game (for years). Frankly, I think his game represents a significant handicap to the Yankee pitching staff. And the idea you have to fix a catcher so that he's passable behind the plate should be setting off alarm bells.
    Gary can't block pitches, but he's ok at framing.
    Let's get him better at blocking pitches. Ok, a bit of improvement, now he sucks at framing.
    Let's teach him to frame better, but now he can't block pitches. Let's bring in another new guy to teach him how to catch, we'll concentrate on framing.

Now he can't do anything and he can't hit.

So it occurs to me that part of Gary's problem is that UMPIRES are awful. They fall victim to good framing catchers. On top of that, they each have their own little special view of the strike zone and what it should be. Plus, you know they're human and miss things once (or a lot) in a while.

GET THE Stinkin' COMPUTERIZED strike zone. Please.

Manfred - you suck.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

NYYF Legend

IMO Sanchez either needs to squat up on his toes all the time, or learn another position. The leg thing this year messed him up totally.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    IMO Sanchez either needs to squat up on his toes all the time, or learn another position. The leg thing this year messed him up totally.
    He could do the leg down with nobody on base, he'd just need to adjust with runners on when a passed ball is worse than not optimally framing a pitch.

That said I think more than anything he just needs to hit. I'd love to see him adapt his defense, but if we really want a defensive catcher moving on is the only answer. Gary is not a good defensive catcher he just has varying degrees of bad that are amplified when he's not hitting. At this point focus almost all of his efforts on hitting and let him do whatever he is more comfortable doing defensively in a given situation. And ideally take him out of the game in situations where his defense has a high probability of losing the game.

Better at hitting. But just not the catcher that the team needs.
    Happy Halloween!

Thread Information