+ Reply to Thread
    Importer-exporter

Jordan Montgomery 2020 thread

Let's get it going. Very encouraging. Looked great in innings 1 and 2, scuffled in 3 and 4 but was able to make the pitches to minimize damage, breezed through inning 5, probably could have gotten through 6 but I have no kick with Boone bringing in Green with 2 outs.

Just a hunch but I have a feeling he's going to turn out to be important. Maybe not Pettitte 1996 important, but important.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

NYYF Legend

Re: Jordan Montgomery 2020 thread

If Montgomery stays healthy and effective, my guess is the Yanks might let Paxson walk after the season and try and re-sign Tanaka for 3 years.

If they can keep Haap's vesting options from kicking in, potentially we're looking at a pretty good rotation of Cole-Severino-Tanaka-Montgomery-German. Backing them up is King, Schmidt, Loaisiga and more on the way.

The money saved on the rotation could be used to extend/obtain some position players or add to the bullpen, as Kahnle will probably not be able to contribute in 2021.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    If Montgomery stays healthy and effective, my guess is the Yanks might let Paxson walk after the season and try and re-sign Tanaka for 3 years.

If they can keep Haap's vesting options from kicking in, potentially we're looking at a pretty good rotation of Cole-Severino-Tanaka-Montgomery-German. Backing them up is King, Schmidt, Loaisiga and more on the way.

The money saved on the rotation could be used to extend/obtain some position players or add to the bullpen, as Kahnle will probably not be able to contribute in 2021.
    I think there is no way the Yankees allow Happ's vesting option kick in, especially if he is going to pitch the way he is.

Agree on Tanaka vs Paxton.

NYYF Legend

Can Montgomery be the next great Yankee lefty if he stays healthy? He seems to have all the tools to be great and he is young!

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

"Great"? Probably not.

A solid part of the rotation? Sure.

I really like him.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Can Montgomery be the next great Yankee lefty if he stays healthy? He seems to have all the tools to be great and he is young!

I don't see great. Just being good and not getting injured would be nice.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I don't see great. Just being good and not getting injured would be nice.
    Yes, definitely would sign off on that.

NYYF Triple Crown

I've been a fan of his since the rookie year. What I want to add is his composure. I don't have the details. When he made that error (off the glove he was turning to throw to second) for the double play to get out of the inning (one out and 2 on), like 50 pitches, resulted in loading the bases with one out. He was dominant and got out of it. No Larry to the mound, No breakdown, Boone let him pitch (like a nice manager). I am impressed with Monty.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

It's hard to home grow an ace, but if the Yankees can home a few solid, middle of the rotation pitchers, they can go out and buy TOR type pitchers while leaving plenty for the bullpen and position players.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I’ve always considered Montgomery to be a guy that can be a Mike Mussina type pitcher. I’m glad he has a chance with Severino and German out. And with the way Paxton is going he may wind up being our number three. I know that’s a lot to put on him but I just have this gut feeling that I can’t shake. If I’m right he’ll be a huge asset.

I feel like many here are undervaluing his potential. He’s not going to be a flame flower but the dude is solid, he can strike guys out and get out of trouble, and is rarely hit really hard.
    Make Orwell Fiction Again
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Iíve always considered Montgomery to be a guy that can be a Mike Mussina type pitcher. Iím glad he has a chance with Severino and German out. And with the way Paxton is going he may wind up being our number three. I know thatís a lot to put on him but I just have this gut feeling that I canít shake. If Iím right heíll be a huge asset.

I feel like many here are undervaluing his potential. Heís not going to be a flame flower but the dude is solid, he can strike guys out and get out of trouble, and is rarely hit really hard.
    Mussina was an ace during a solid stretch in his career. I don't think that'll ever be Monty. However, I can definitely see him as a solid #3. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Mussina was an ace during a solid stretch in his career. I don't think that'll ever be Monty. However, I can definitely see him as a solid #3. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Montgomery certainly isnít overpowering. But heís quite smart and has a lot of control. Plus he knows how to strike guys out without the high 90s stuff. I think he will wind up being very good assuming he stays healthy. I think he could top out at Mussina-type stuff.
    Make Orwell Fiction Again
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Monty reminds me of Pettitte. Both lefties, low 90s fastball, both throw cutters, curveballs and change ups.

Thread Information