+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Importer-exporter

Re: HelloNewman's Occasional Question #15

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    For second choice, do Diana Ross and The Supremes qualify? The four members were all female, but there were certainly male backup musicians.
    I would say they do. I mean, the Beatles had American Billy Preston playing keyboards on parts of "Let It Be," but they still should be considered a British band, right?
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Importer-exporter

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Heart was not an all-female band. Obviously the Wilson sisters were the headliners but other members of the band were male.

I'll go with the Bangles. Sue me.
    Not suing you at all. Bangles are my pick as well. I think you could pitch their debut album "All Over the Place" as one of the 10 best albums of the 1980s, I like it better than the follow-up "Different Light" which had most of their hits. "Hero Takes the Fall" from "All Over the Place" is a flat-out brilliant pop song.

Plus hey, they got Spock to do a video with them

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I would say they do. I mean, the Beatles had American Billy Preston playing keyboards on parts of "Let It Be," but they still should be considered a British band, right?
    I’d suggest that this was a little more than Billy Preston.

NYYF Legend

Not suing you at all. Bangles are my pick as well. I think you could pitch their debut album "All Over the Place" as one of the 10 best albums of the 1980s, I like it better than the follow-up "Different Light" which had most of their hits. "Hero Takes the Fall" from "All Over the Place" is a flat-out brilliant pop song.

Plus hey, they got Spock to do a video with them

Not bad. I never heard that before. Then again, I spent the 80s in Brazil.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Importer-exporter

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I’d suggest that this was a little more than Billy Preston.
    Not sure what you're saying. Billy Preston backed up the Beatles on a few songs. Male musicians backed up the Supremes. I don't think the presence of male backup musicians disqualifies the Supremes as an all-female band. Do you disagree? The backups don't count.

Not sure what you're saying. Billy Preston backed up the Beatles on a few songs. Male musicians backed up the Supremes. I don't think the presence of male backup musicians disqualifies the Supremes as an all-female band. Do you disagree? The backups don't count.
    Yes, I disagree. The entire band was male except for the vocalists. They were more than backup musicians; they were the musicians.

Yes, I disagree. The entire band was male except for the vocalists. They were more than backup musicians; they were the musicians.
    Same. Question was “all-female”, not female-led.

I figured this thread would get tangled in this, which is why I didn't answer. I don't think there's anything defined, but in my own opinion there is a distinction between a band who are comprised of instrumentalists (and possibly singers) and vocal or singing groups who are not instrumentalists. The Supremes would therefore be a vocal group, not a band.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I figured this thread would get tangled in this, which is why I didn't answer. I don't think there's anything defined, but in my own opinion there is a distinction between a band who are comprised of instrumentalists (and possibly singers) and vocal or singing groups who are not instrumentalists. The Supremes would therefore be a vocal group, not a band.
    I concur with your assessment.

The Andrew Sisters were a vocal group. Not a band.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Importer-exporter

a) Interesting take that the Supremes weren't musicians because they didn't play instruments. Sinatra, Crosby not musicians I guess? b) Come on man, tell me anyone who bought Supremes records back in the day did it to hear the backing musicians. Of course they had studio help. Bangles, Go-Gos et al had indispensable male roadie help and extensive male help in the studio, although more from the production end. Not an all-female band now?

Find a better hill. Supremes are an all-female band, it's just common sense.

Edit: You know what? Sorry I ever did this series. See y'all. Enjoy Buzzard's Bay. Out.

a) Interesting take that the Supremes weren't musicians because they didn't play instruments. Sinatra, Crosby not musicians I guess? b) Come on man, tell me anyone who bought Supremes records back in the day to hear the backing musicians. Of course they had studio help. Bangles, Go-Gos et al had indispensable male roadie help. Not an all-female band now?

Find a better hill.
    Yes, of course they were musicians, but I still say they fronted a mostly male band. No, not an all-female band.

I’m not dying on this hill. I’m just sayin'.

Yes, of course they were musicians, but I still say they fronted a mostly male band. No, not an all-female band.

I’m not dying on this hill. I’m just sayin'.
    Everybody dies. You could die on worse hills.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

once more unto the breach Texsahara's Avatar

Well if we are still going to talk about girl bands (which I fully support), might as well post this here.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-zero-1037409/

Ahead of the Friday premiere of a documentary celebrating the Go-Go’s, the band has released “Club Zero,” their first new song in 19 years.

The self-produced song was created via email exchanges between band members and recorded at studios in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

In the closing scene of the Showtime doc The Go-Go’s — premiering tonight, July 31st — the reunited band is shown working on the track, as well as performing “Club Zero” at Los Angeles’ Whisky a Go Go, a one-time stomping ground of the trailblazing all-female rock group.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Everybody dies. You could die on worse hills.
    I've already chosen my hill: Wal-Mart's war on Christmas.

a) Interesting take that the Supremes weren't musicians because they didn't play instruments. Sinatra, Crosby not musicians I guess? b) Come on man, tell me anyone who bought Supremes records back in the day did it to hear the backing musicians. Of course they had studio help. Bangles, Go-Gos et al had indispensable male roadie help and extensive male help in the studio, although more from the production end. Not an all-female band now?

Find a better hill. Supremes are an all-female band, it's just common sense.

Edit: You know what? Sorry I ever did this series. See y'all. Enjoy Buzzard's Bay. Out.
    I like the series. Wasn’t looking for hill, just more clarity. There was definitely ambiguity here.

Ronettes under new terms.

I mostly listen to metal and most female metal bands suck. Otep is pretty cool.
    Make Orwell Fiction Again
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Thread Information