+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

2020 Nick Nelson Performance Thread

The Yankees tweeted that they called up starter Nick Nelson. https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=nelson003nic has his statistics. He's 24, and he made his minor league debut in 2016. Last year he had a 0.00 ERA in 1 start for Tampa, a 2.35 ERA in 12 starts and 1 relief appearance for Trenton, and a 4.71 ERA in 4 starts for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Forum Regular

Re: 2020 Nick Nelson Performance Thread

Nelson did a good job for 3 innings of work today. I do not know anything about his potential though and any updates would be nice,

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

he was filthy! loved to see that outing. I hope he keeps it up!
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

NYYF Legend

He won his MLB debut, and he has as many MLB wins as Triple-A wins.

NYYF Legend

Any relation to Jeff?

NYYF Legend

Looked real good. Hope he gets some more chances up here.

Velocity and changeup/slider is really impressive.

But he'll only go as far as his FB command. He looked amazing but still walked two over 3IP with fastballs that were all over the place. That was his issue in the minors and will be his nemesis moving forward. Can't have a bb/9 of 4.5+ in the bigs, especially if he ends up converting to a full-time relief role. The changeup was filth though and that tight slider to neutralize RHH's is no joke either.

NYYF Legend

I missed game 1 yesterday. What the heck happened to Nick?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Hard to tell exactly, but the Phillies were on everything he threw. Looked like a totally different guy than his debut where he was actually missing bats and pumping it in there to hitters that did not look comfortable. The Phillies couldn't have been more comfortable with his stuff.

Optioned to the Alternate Site.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Hard to tell exactly, but the Phillies were on everything he threw. Looked like a totally different guy than his debut where he was actually missing bats and pumping it in there to hitters that did not look comfortable. The Phillies couldn't have been more comfortable with his stuff.
    Thanks. I wonder if he was tipping his pitches.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

see Tollbooth, Sonny.
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Thanks. I wonder if he was tipping his pitches.
    In fairness other than Harper's home run the hits weren't crushed and there were a few double plays that could've been turned that weren't. I think they said his exit velocity given up was 89 mph or something like that, so the line was probably worse than performance. Still the Phillies seemed ready for him.

Well, to be fair, he also suffered from a handful of well-placed bloops and softly-hit groundballs. He deserved to give up a couple runs but he had some terrible luck, too.

One pitch to Hoskins (IIRC) was 96 with sink placed perfectly at the knees on the corner that was lined for a single. It was 0-2, so ideally he should've gone off the plate a bit more to see if he'd chase behind in the count, but it was still an excellent pitch in terms of velo/location/movement.

These are the types of moments that make or break a young pitcher. Just kinda have to tip your hat and say it's one of those "Welcome to the Bigs" moments. Because I guarantee he gets a strikeout or weak out on that pitch in the minors. Guys up here are different. We'll be interesting to see how he bounces back when he gets another opportunity. Hopefully, it's not too long before that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Well, to be fair, he also suffered from a handful of well-placed bloops and softly-hit groundballs. He deserved to give up a couple runs but he had some terrible luck, too.

One pitch to Hoskins (IIRC) was 96 with sink placed perfectly at the knees on the corner that was lined for a single. It was 0-2, so ideally he should've gone off the plate a bit more to see if he'd chase behind in the count, but it was still an excellent pitch in terms of velo/location/movement.

These are the types of moments that make or break a young pitcher. Just kinda have to tip your hat and say it's one of those "Welcome to the Bigs" moments. Because I guarantee he gets a strikeout or weak out on that pitch in the minors. Guys up here are different. We'll be interesting to see how he bounces back when he gets another opportunity. Hopefully, it's not too long before that happens.
    Yea, as I said in my last post they weren't exactly crushing his pitches and he was definitely a victim of some bad luck. Still as you allude to the stuff just didn't play as well against this lineup. They were ready to swing up there and nothing was getting blown by them, the FB in particular did not play up as well with only 1 whiff against the Phillies vs 5 against the Sox (plus more called strikes). It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here if that was just a random blip on the radar where he was just a little off and unlucky or if he's just more of a middle relief type that is going to give you some good with the bad. It certainly wasn't a damning performance for him just one that raises questions and as you say is hopefully that welcome to the majors moment that kicks start a promising career. I did like that he didn't lose his composure out there and start walking a lot of guys. He trusted his stuff and still attacked.

Yea, as I said in my last post they weren't exactly crushing his pitches and he was definitely a victim of some bad luck. Still as you allude to the stuff just didn't play as well against this lineup. They were ready to swing up there and nothing was getting blown by them, the FB in particular did not play up as well with only 1 whiff against the Phillies vs 5 against the Sox (plus more called strikes). It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here if that was just a random blip on the radar where he was just a little off and unlucky or if he's just more of a middle relief type that is going to give you some good with the bad. It certainly wasn't a damning performance for him just one that raises questions and as you say is hopefully that welcome to the majors moment that kicks start a promising career. I did like that he didn't lose his composure out there and start walking a lot of guys. He trusted his stuff and still attacked.
    Great post. Agree with everything, especially the last bit about him maintaining his composure. A very good point I noticed as well but forgot to mention.

Thread Information