+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 21 22 23 24
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2020 Regular Season Notes

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Bryan Hoch

@BryanHoch

5m
    With a bad forecast tomorrow, Boone said itís possible the Yankees could play a doubleheader this week at Philadelphia, with the Yanks being the home team in one of the games.
    With a doubleheader already scheduled for Saturday they should have played the doubleheader today. They knew days ago that tomorrow would be rained out.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Tuesday's Yankee game officially cancelled due to Hurricane.

Doubleheader on Wednesday! in Philly

George A. King III

@GeorgeAKingIII

7m

Tuesday night's Phillies-Yankees game at Yankee Stadium has been postponed due to an incoming storm. Game will be made up as part of a double-header on Wednesday in Philadelphia. Yankees will be the home team in one and the visitors in the other. First game will start at 4:05 p.m
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Yanks will now have 2 doubleheaders in 4 days.
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

NYYF Legend

Yanks will now have 2 doubleheaders in 4 days.
    Which is why the doubleheader should have been tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The order is irrelevant. You can play matchups and play who is hot. It's more about the player selection and positions.
    The batting order is irrelevant? Please elaborate before I respond. On the surface I disagree quite strongly!
    Make Orwell Fiction Again
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Which is why the doubleheader should have been tonight.
    That would require advanced, pro-active creative thinking!

NYYF Legend

That would require advanced, pro-active creative thinking!
    Yes. Because they had no knowledge of the Tropical Storm coming up the coast that was predicted to hit NY tomorrow as long a 5 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yes. Because they had no knowledge of the Tropical Storm coming up the coast that was predicted to hit NY tomorrow as long a 5 days ago.

Exactly!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    The batting order is irrelevant? Please elaborate before I respond. On the surface I disagree quite strongly!
    Batting order construction has very little impact over a large sample for the same 9 batters in different orders. Yes there are ways to maximize lineup construction and they should be used but they generally amount to a handful of runs over 162 game season.

I think all 3 links are based of Tom Tango's works but if you want further reading...

https://venomstrikes.com/2015/01/05/...an-score-runs/
    https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...your-lineup-by
    https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2012/...on-part-1-of-2
    Fair warning:

These differences are for the most part approximately 0.02 runs per plate appearance at most. Over the course of an entire season, or around 700 PA, that equates to 1.4 runs gained. Over the course of a season, with proper lineup optimization, a team has the chance to gain approximately 10 to 15 runs.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I'm perfectly content with the way Boone weaves players and pitchers in and out of a rotation, and I tend to just relax and watch all this talent contribute to the club's overall success. IMO it's tough to play the "woulda-coulda-shoulda" game when the club has won 7 out of 8. Perhaps I'll critique more when they lose 2 out of 3 or worse. In the meantime, I'm just having a blast watching a team that gives me lots of hope.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Batting order construction has very little impact over a large sample for the same 9 batters in different orders. Yes there are ways to maximize lineup construction and they should be used but they generally amount to a handful of runs over 162 game season.

I think all 3 links are based of Tom Tango's works but if you want further reading...

Twain talks about lies, damn lies, and statistics:
    If batting order doesn't matter, bat Judge 9th, DJ 8th and Higgy or Gary 1st.

I prefer Pickle's order.

NYYF Legend

Twain talks about lies, damn lies, and statistics:
    If batting order doesn't matter, bat Judge 9th, DJ 8th and Higgy or Gary 1st.

I prefer Pickle's order.
    The gist is that batting order doesn't matter much outside of putting your better hitters near the top of the lineup to ensure they get the most ABs. As long as you are doing that, the rest has very little impact statistically. Mentally on players, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    The gist is that batting order doesn't matter much outside of putting your better hitters near the top of the lineup to ensure they get the most ABs. As long as you are doing that, the rest has very little impact statistically. Mentally on players, who knows.
    Oh I know....That is why Pickle had the hot hitters up top

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    So is this a conscious thing from Judge? Was there an effort to increase contact, or decrease violence as mentioned in response to my initial post? It's only interesting to me because Judge was an absolute monster with regards to exit velo in his rookie season, maybe the best we've ever seen, and then he hasn't been since. I'm curious if it's a concerted effort to get better. I know the man has retooled after success previously, and I'm wondering if this is part of such an effort...
    I doubt it - he's leading the league in avg exit velo yet again, and his exit velo is the highest its ever been (tiny sample).

I think extreme high batted ball events are just statistical oddities. Maybe he's not swinging quite as insanely hard and is just going 95% now (although he never looks like a crazy violent swinger), but he's clearly still hitting the ball extremely hard with regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

I don't know man. So there's no impact to having a great base-runner who gets on base leading off and maximizing the amount of times he gets up to the plate? Then giving your next best a chance to move him over into scoring position for the number 3 guy (who should probably be the best hitter on the team)? And then having your power hitting cleanup guy protecting your number 3 hitter so he gets pitches to hit?

I'll look into the links you cited but it seems kind of silly on the surface. I mean the only way to figure out that run differential has to be in a simulation. Because I don't think anyone has done it for real.

I can see how in a lineup the Yankees have you could probably switch the first 5 batters that Boone has been using around and it won't matter. But for a team who wants to maximize scoring and scoring opportunities, there has to be something to it.
    Make Orwell Fiction Again
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

I don't know man. So there's no impact to having a great base-runner who gets on base leading off and maximizing the amount of times he gets up to the plate? Then giving your next best a chance to move him over into scoring position for the number 3 guy (who should probably be the best hitter on the team)? And then having your power hitting cleanup guy protecting your number 3 hitter so he gets pitches to hit?

I'll look into the links you cited but it seems kind of silly on the surface. I mean the only way to figure out that run differential has to be in a simulation. Because I don't think anyone has done it for real.

I can see how in a lineup the Yankees have you could probably switch the first 5 batters that Boone has been using around and it won't matter. But for a team who wants to maximize scoring and scoring opportunities, there has to be something to it.

Oh you absolutely want to maximize it by putting your best hitters at the top of the order and from the links it works out kind of like this but over the course of the season it will still have small impact on overall runs scored.

Another way to look at things is to order the batting slots by the leveraged value of the out. In plain English (sort of), we want to know how costly making an out is by each lineup position, based on the base-out situations they most often find themselves in, and then weighted by how often each lineup spot comes to the plate. Here's how the lineup spots rank in the importance of avoiding outs:

#1, #4, #2, #5, #3, #6, #7, #8, #9

So, you want your best three hitters to hit in the #1, #4, and #2 spots. Distribute them so OBP is higher in the order and SLG is lower. Then place your fourth and fifth best hitters, with the #5 spot usually seeing the better hitter, unless he's a high-homerun guy. Then place your four remaining hitters in decreasing order of overall hitting ability, with basestealers ahead of singles hitters. Finally, stop talking like the lineup is a make-or-break decision.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I might be in the minority with this, but how about no rain delays in games over 5 innings and not a tie. If it rains, just call the game at that point.

Iím with you mentally.
    But I saw a stat that said your 3 hitter is the most likely to bat with two outs and no one on base.
    (Obviously skewed because he will bat in the first inning)
    But that seems to be counter to putting your best hitter in the three spot. The three spot is most likely to bat without the runners on.

Iím gonna need a bigger abacus.

Thread Information