+ Reply to Thread
Page 179 of 195 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 189 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 4854

Re: 2020 Regular Season Notes

DJ is a gold glove 2B and hate to move him off that spot.

I have a feeling some team will massively overpay him this offseason.

Gleyber is far better at 2B than SS.

NYYF Legend

New GM and new manager please. So much of this was preventable. Cashman has done nothing but watch and tell us how hard he is trying for 2 seasons.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

You guys are panicking a bit too much, IMO. I still believe they are capable of turning it on for the playoffs. The talent on this roster is certainly capable of beating anybody. ANYBODY.

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

Since 2010 this team has played for tomorrow and tomorrow has never come. Perhaps worry about today. Of course that ship has sailed for this year since home field in the dopey best of three series is out the window.

But you know... rest.
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    You guys are panicking a bit too much, IMO. I still believe they are capable of turning it on for the playoffs. The talent on this roster is certainly capable of beating anybody. ANYBODY.
    OK. But if there is a burden of plausibility doesn't it fall more heavily on the optimist than the pessimist?

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    New GM and new manager please. So much of this was preventable. Cashman has done nothing but watch and tell us how hard he is trying for 2 seasons.
    When do their contracts expire?

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Since 2010 this team has played for tomorrow and tomorrow has never come. Perhaps worry about today. Of course that ship has sailed for this year since home field in the dopey best of three series is out the window.

But you know... rest.
    exactly, exactly, exactly
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    They seriously played on a hill? Is that why they were called the Highlanders?
    Not so much a hill but their park was located at one of the highest points in Manhattan. Some dispute on the name Highlanders. Some think the team was named for a famous military unit of the time. "Gordon's Highlanders".

NYYF Legend

But you know... rest.
    Actually I still think the Yankees can win the best of three with Cole and Tanaka pitching the first two games. Of course pitching Cole on two extra day's rest could be a problem. He seems to.be a pitcher that thrives on a regular routine.

NYYF Legend

Marlins starting pitcher today has an ERA of 6.84. Maybe the Yankees can get some runs off of him.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Guy with an 11 career with a 144 OPS+ and never below 118 which was his rookie year - I'd call that elite.
    I think an elite hitter has to come through in the clutch. Stanton rarely does

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Not so much a hill but their park was located at one of the highest points in Manhattan. Some dispute on the name Highlanders. Some think the team was named for a famous military unit of the time. "Gordon's Highlanders".
    That is true

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    The Yankees have let another winnable game slip away. They look awful.

Magic number for the #5 seed is 2 with two games left to play. Not sure if seeding even matters at this point -- the Yankees look like the worst of the field and should be underdogs against any possible opponent, especially considering they will be on the road.

They have become a kind of team they've never been in my lifetime -- one that is only dangerous for one reason, they have a true ace starting Game 1. And in a three-game series, that advantage is much less than it would be in a longer series.
    Seeding does matter the Yankees will be #5 Vs WSox or #8 Vs Rays. Only options at this point. I'll take the WSox ( I know be careful what you wish for)
    But the Rays in their park I want no part of ( even if Cole pitched all 3 games)

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Defense is putrid. The best way to impact the defense is to acquire a real SS, move Gleyber to second and DJ to first if they resign him. Problem is that would force Voit into the DH spot which thanks to Cashman will be occupied by Stanton for the next 7 years at a cost of 218 million. I would also move away from Sanchez. Of course winning it all this year would change the narrative but I just don't see it. This team is built to pummel bad pitching, it does nothing else well. Do they even work on fundamentals?
    If you’re going to move Gleyber off SS, why not just move him to first? Why waste DJ's exceptional defense?

I'm not going to get upright re: play in last week of the season. There have been many Yankee teams that coasted at the end of the season & yet played great post-season ball.

However, the warning signs are there since this year the team has only beaten up on weak competition and has failed against higher quality teams.

FWIW: I've never felt that GT was SS material and have noted that I wanted Didi to be resigned. As it turns out, Didi has had a great post injury year and his clubhouse presence is unquestionably a plus.

Unfortunately, as has been noted on here, the roster complied by Cashman is poor defensively (and outside of LeMahieu is really weak up the middle) and has too many DH's. Despite spending big bucks on the relief corps, clearly there are holes in the staff.

Whether Cashman stays or a new GM comes on board, his roster mismanagement has put next year's Yankees in a precarious luxury tax situation (and we all know Hal's view on paying high luxury tax).

Th only pathway out is to get someone in the marketplace to take Stanton. Then, I'd sign LeMahieu for 1B (tough call since he is superb defensively but GT is too small to play 1B), find a quality SS and move GT to 2B and keep Gio at 3rd. I'd also dump Sanchez and find a quality C to handle the staff.

I wish to God someone would take Stanton off our hands, but his value is sub-zero. You'd have to pay someone to take him.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

I have no idea why people are suggesting we move the best defensive second baseman in all the land to first base. None. No idea.
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    He did have the big PH grand slam earlier this month. But yeah seemed odd they'd have more faith in Gary in that spot than Higgy. Though I wouldn't expect either to succeed
    Nah you knew it when he went to the bat rack--no change he comes through

NYYF Legend

I have no idea why people are suggesting we move the best defensive second baseman in all the land to first base. None. No idea.
    Makes no sense at all. Of course there is no guarantee that DJ will even still be here next season. If that happens then sign Didi, move Gleyber back to 2B.

Today vs Marlins, 1pm
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

NYYF Legend

Day off for Gleyber. Everyone's favorite Wade at SS.

Gleyber to the time out chair today

So the Marlins are locked into their seed - so they do not really need either game, but the Yanks DO for better seeding....maybe someday we could be the Marlins.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Gleyber to the time out chair today
    Soon the entire team will be on a time out. For about 4 1/2 months.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    So the Marlins are locked into their seed - so they do not really need either game, but the Yanks DO for better seeding....maybe someday we could be the Marlins.
    Both Marlins starting pitchers for the final 2 games have high ERAs.

Thread Information