+ Reply to Thread
Page 172 of 195 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 182 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 4854
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2020 Regular Season Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    In a lineup like this one, it's inexcusable that a .218 BA and .395 SLG% gets you the #3 spot - repeatedly.
    I agree Hicks should be lower but is there a reason to leave out his .382 OPB that trails only DJL, Fraizer & Stanton?
    Seems having high OBP guys near the top of the line up can be a good thing. No?
    With the 9 they have I'd probably flip Fraizer and Hicks, but honestly I don't mind Hicks and his 38 walks getting on in front of Luke/Gley/Gio/Clint.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I agree Hicks should be lower but is there a reason to leave out his .382 OPB that trails only DJL, Fraizer & Stanton?
    Seems having high OBP guys near the top of the line up can be a good thing. No?
    With the 9 they have I'd probably flip Fraizer and Hicks, but honestly I don't mind Hicks and his 38 walks getting on in front of Luke/Gley/Gio/Clint.
    While I agree that OBP is important, he's rather one-dimensional as a hitter. Takes alot more than just a good OBP to warrant the #3 spot - especially when the rest of his metrics are trash.

Traditionally, your best hitter bats 3rd, and either Frazier (better OBP + better all-around batting stats than Hicks) or Voit should be in the spot right now when Stanton and Judge aren't in the lineup.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

While I agree that OBP is important, he's rather one-dimensional as a hitter. Takes alot more than just a good OBP to warrant the #3 spot - especially when the rest of his metrics are trash.

Traditionally, your best hitter bats 3rd, and either Frazier (better OBP + better all-around hitting stats than Hicks) or Voit should be in the spot right now when Stanton isn't in the lineup.
    Yeah I totally agree with you he should be lower for the reasons you give and even said I'd flip him and Fraizer.

But I think where we differ is I'm not that upset if Boone decides to bat him there because of his high OBP and the power potential behind him
    Baseball is life;

Yeah I totally agree with you he should be lower for the reasons you give and even said I'd flip him and Fraizer.

But I think where we differ is I'm not that upset if Boone decides to bat him there because of his high OBP and the power potential behind him
    Problem is, when Hicks is not taking a walk, he's not going to hurt opposing pitchers the way someone like Frazier or Voit will.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is Boone may be hoping Hicks will get better pitches to hit batting in from of Voit/Stanton.

NYYF Legend

I'm looking at the division record tiebreaker between us and Minnesota. Minnesota is 21-17 with 2 games hosting Detroit to make no more than 23 division wins, and they end with 3 hosting Cincinnati. If the Yankees win 2 of the remaining 3 with Toronto, the Yankees will have 24 division wins and clinch the tiebreaker. The tiebreaker will be clinched by Thursday unless the tiebreaker is tied. If the Yankees win 2 of the next 3 and 1 more than Minnesota wins in their next 2, the Yankees will enter the final series 1 game behind with the tiebreaker so they would need to gain 1 game on Minnesota from Friday to Sunday.

NYYF Legend

Problem is, when Hicks is not taking a walk, he's not going to hurt opposing pitchers the way someone like Frazier or Voit will.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is Boone may be hoping Hicks will get better pitches to hit batting in from of Voit/Stanton.
    Possibly.

Another one could be Hicks sees a lot of pitches per AB. Could be giving the rest of the lineup a look at what he's throwing and drive up opposing P count?

Also might figure the walks Hicks does draw are better in front of the middle of the order that is hitting, instead of bottom of order that isn't.

But yeah either way bit of a head scratcher I agree.

And on queue he triples in the 1st gotta admit though when it was 3-0 I thought for sure walk 39 was coming up.
    Baseball is life;

Possibly.

Another one could be Hicks sees a lot of pitches per AB. Could be giving the rest of the lineup a look at what he's throwing and drive up opposing P count?

Also might figure the walks Hicks does draw are better in front of the middle of the order that is hitting, instead of bottom of order that isn't.

But yeah either way bit of a head scratcher I agree.

And on queue he triples in the 1st gotta admit though when it was 3-0 I thought for sure walk 39 was coming up.
    Never fails. Ha

NYYF Legend

All Judge is doing is hitting groundballs. They better keep playing him until his stroke is right. Otherwise, who cares if he's healthy for the playoffs.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF MVP

Given that Frazier is probably going to play left field in playoffs with Judge in right why not flip Frazier andGardner in the field? Frazier has the better atm but wouldnít you want to get Frazier as much time I. Left as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    Given that Frazier is probably going to play left field in playoffs with Judge in right why not flip Frazier andGardner in the field? Frazier has the better atm but wouldnít you want to get Frazier as much time I. Left as possible?
    Gardner's arm is too weak for RF...they'd go first and third all game long. Better off letting Tauchman play right if they want Frazier to get more time in left.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Target field HR rate is close to half that of Yankee stadium this season. If our offense isn't hitting HRs, this is going to be a problem.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfa.../sort/HRFactor
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Target field HR rate is close to half that of Yankee stadium this season. If our offense isn't hitting HRs, this is going to be a problem.

Yep. I know itís the Twins and weíve owned them this century but I like our chances much better at home.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

It wasn't a problem for them last season and the Yankees have the same offense. Besides, that probably means the Twins will hit less homers too and that's a good thing seeing as how they led the majors last season.

NYYF Legend

Higgy has outplayed Gary this season. He should be the starter for all games in the postseason. He makes the team better. There is no time for feelings in the playoffs. Field the best team.
    Calmer than you are

Genius Joe and the Phil's are currently the 10th seed after being swept away by the Nationals.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Genius Joe and the Phil's are currently the 10th seed after being swept away by the Nationals.
    I'll say this a lot. Moving on from Girardi who lost the clubhouse was never an issue, moving to a puppet in Boone was.
    Calmer than you are

I'll say this a lot. Moving on from Girardi who lost the clubhouse was never an issue, moving to a puppet in Boone was.
    Agreed. It would have been cheaper to put a laptop attached to a printer in the dugout and label it Yankee manager.

NYYF MVP

In a lineup like this one, it's inexcusable that a .218 BA and .395 SLG% gets you the #3 spot - repeatedly.
    SO did you like what you saw today?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post
    SO did you like what you saw today?
    I did, and if Hicks could perform more like that, and less like the .220 hitter we've seen all season, I wouldn't have questioned it in the first place.

Fact is, there are other hitters in this lineup who should be batting 3rd instead of Hicks.
    While it worked out tonight, that's not typically going to be the case with his slash line.

Didnít he hit 30 dingers a couple of years ago?

NYYF Legend

Tigers get 1 in the 10th. Twins score 2 to win the game. Does it seem like any team the Yankees are chasing will always win in the most annoying ways possible.

NYYF Legend

I did, and if Hicks could perform more like that, and less like the .220 hitter we've seen all season, I wouldn't have questioned it in the first place.

Fact is, there are other hitters in this lineup who should be batting 3rd instead of Hicks.
    While it worked out tonight, that's not typically going to be the case with his slash line.
    Yeah you donít need to defend the position of Hicks batting 3rd isnít optimal despite his nice night tonight.

That said, while itís not optimal, there a couple arguments for batting him 3rd. Not that I necessarily agree with them, I can see some value in it, especially if they go DJL 1, Judge 2 which seems locked in in the post season
    Baseball is life;

Death Star Fully Operational

Yeah you donít need to defend the position of Hicks batting 3rd isnít optimal despite his nice night tonight.

That said, while itís not optimal, there a couple arguments for batting him 3rd. Not that I necessarily agree with them, I can see some value in it, especially if they go DJL 1, Judge 2 which seems locked in in the post season
    I don't necessarily agree with them either, but I can see why the Yankees want to split up their right-handed bats and that Hicks sees a lot of pitches.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    I'm looking at the division record tiebreaker between us and Minnesota. Minnesota is 21-17 with 2 games hosting Detroit to make no more than 23 division wins, and they end with 3 hosting Cincinnati. If the Yankees win 2 of the remaining 3 with Toronto, the Yankees will have 24 division wins and clinch the tiebreaker. The tiebreaker will be clinched by Thursday unless the tiebreaker is tied. If the Yankees win 2 of the next 3 and 1 more than Minnesota wins in their next 2, the Yankees will enter the final series 1 game behind with the tiebreaker so they would need to gain 1 game on Minnesota from Friday to Sunday.
    Oakland, Chicago and Minnesota. So many moving parts. Yankees could end up from the 2 seed to the 5 seed.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Tigers get 1 in the 10th. Twins score 2 to win the game. Does it seem like any team the Yankees are chasing will always win in the most annoying ways possible.
    yep - we are heading to 3 road games in Minnesota and they are prime for finally taking on the Yanks. Expect NO urgency for these remaining games - and some psycho babble from Cashman.
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Thread Information