+ Reply to Thread
Page 171 of 195 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 181 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 4854

Re: 2020 Regular Season Notes

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Tyler Wade has the same OPS+ as Altuve.

If you would have told me this last season (or quite frankly, even the beginning of this season), I would have been ecstatic.

Truth be told, I'm still pretty happy about it. Ahh, sweet, sweet schadenfreude.

Also, could we say that Wade would have had the same offensive stats as Altuve the last 5 or so years if he knew what pitch was coming half of the time.......

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post
    If this is the final standings then Yankees play As in ALDS (second round). If they win Vs As then the ALCS could be Vs Rays or White Sox. Not an easy road.

Division Series (best-of-five, with traditional 2-2-1 home team/road team format at neutral sites): Winner of 1-8 vs. Winner of 4-5; Winner of 2-7 vs. Winner of 3-6. Home-field advantage goes to the higher seed.

League Championship Series (best-of-seven, with traditional 2-3-2 home team/road team format at neutral sites): Winner of 1-4-5-8 vs. Winner of 2-3-6-7. Home-field advantage goes to the higher seed.

We've lost last two games 21-7.....we will be resting/positioning line-ups for rest of this week...meaning a home wildcard series won't happen.....to speculate about who we would play in the Division or League series may be just that.....unless we turn that switch on again, we may not make it to October baseball......the other 7 teams in the hunt seem to still be trying to win games......while we position.......

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I get rest, but at a certain point, it hurts more than it helps. You get rusty and out of the swing of things. Just play them all like you would, while being a little conservative on pitch counts, back to back relief appearances, and use the occasional day off and late game substitutes more.

Give Sanchez a lot of time off and have him work in the cage to fix whatever is broken. That's the only guy who should be rested.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

I get rest, but at a certain point, it hurts more than it helps. You get rusty and out of the swing of things. Just play them all like you would, while being a little conservative on pitch counts, back to back relief appearances, and use the occasional day off and late game substitutes more.

Give Sanchez a lot of time off and have him work in the cage to fix whatever is broken. That's the only guy who should be rested.
    Agreed. It's really frustrating that they are still treating this season like it is 162 games.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    It is absolutely essential that the Yanks get home field against the Twins - yet we know there will be no urgency this week; men will be rested to the max. Then next week rolls around and the Yanks find themselves in Minnesota for three. Absurd. Frustrating. Ridiculous. Insane.
    I know it's the Twins so the tendency is to poo poo them but eventually they are going to beat us in the playoffs. I mean we beat the Red Sox for 85 years but they finally got us in 2004. HFA is important for both of these teams.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agreed. It's really frustrating that they are still treating this season like it is 162 games.
    It's pretty frustrating how they treat 162 game seasons like they're 365 game seasons to begin with.

I love analytics and think they should be relied on them heavily, but the Yankees have gone full blown analytics without any recognition that it's not a computer simulation.

It's pretty frustrating how they treat 162 game seasons like they're 365 game seasons to begin with.

I love analytics and think they should be relied on them heavily, but the Yankees have gone full blown analytics without any recognition that it's not a computer simulation.
    Yep. Drives me nuts that they don't believe a player can be "hot". I get that perspective from a guy like Cashman and his nerds, but Boone has actually played this game and knows better.

These aren't robots playing. They are human beings. Rhythm and timing are key to this game. There's an emotional & psychological component, too. You have to balance the data with those things.

NYYF Legend

I don't like the resting either but to be fair other than Frazier they played the entire regular lineup against an opener by Toronto and only managed to score 2 runs until the 9th inning. I think a bigger issue right now is they are looking simply terrible in road games right now.

NYYF Legend

When Gary finally had a good game on Friday he was immediately rested on Saturday.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    When Gary finally had a good game on Friday he was immediately rested on Saturday.
    He was going to sit one of Saturday or Sunday regardless. Made sense to sit him Saturday after catching a 5.5 hours 12 inning game the day before.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by yesteryearman View Post
    Also, could we say that Wade would have had the same offensive stats as Altuve the last 5 or so years if he knew what pitch was coming half of the time.......
    I have a different theory on why some hitters who have put up huge numbers in the past are struggling. My theory assumes PEDs are still prevalent in baseball (I do believe this). Given the Covid restriction I theorize that some players are having difficulty obtaining their supply.

Please note, this is just a theory and I have no facts to support it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I have a different theory on why some hitters who have put up huge numbers in the past are struggling. My theory assumes PEDs are still prevalent in baseball (I do believe this). Given the Covid restriction I theorize that some players are having difficulty obtaining their supply.

I would not at all be surprised if your theory had some merit.

And I'm not making accusations and also like you I have no evidence but it's a plausible hypothesis.

I haven't checked to see if HRs per game are down this year, if they are I'd assume they "fixed some of the problems with the balls from last year"
    Baseball is life;

I find it interesting that entire teams are collapsing. The Rangers for example, while they weren't good last year, have completely collapsed.They have exactly one starter above 100 OPS+ - Ronald Guzman. 5/9 hitters are below 220 BA! That's a special kind of awful. Team OPS+ is 74. That's like having Sanchez bat every single time.

Their current catcher has an OPS+ of 39. Elvis Andrus is rocking a 58 OPS+ and their DH, Willie Calhoun, has an OPS+ of 19. Nine-freaking-teen. Slugging .213

JD Martin is pretty ugly with his .205/.287/.373/.660 76 OPS+ too.

Red face Re: 2020 Regular Season Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I would not at all be surprised if your theory had some merit.

And I'm not making accusations and also like you I have no evidence but it's a plausible hypothesis.

I haven't checked to see if HRs per game are down this year, if they are I'd assume they "fixed some of the problems with the balls from last year"
    The ball still seems to be jumping but as we've seen in the past PED usage has helped some players boost batting average and other numbers. Not naming any names but some of the players around the game who are struggling I have long suspected of PED usage.

NYYF Legend

The ball still seems to be jumping but as we've seen in the past PED usage has helped some players boost batting average and other numbers. Not naming any names but some of the players around the game who are struggling I have long suspected of PED usage.
    I agree it's plausible.
    I mean there are a lot of factors involved but there are a great many "stars" who have awful numbers this year. OPS of some of folks who were expected to do much, much better
    Mondesi .557
    Escobar .569
    Baez .604
    Altuve .613

Robles .635
    Martinez .660
    Bell .664
    Eaton .669
    Moncada .693
    Correa .700
    Guriel .701
    Semien .703

And that's just some folks with enough PAs to qualify for batting title. Doesn't include guys like Sanchez, Rizzo, Bryant and a few other who have down years.
    Baseball is life;

I agree it's plausible.
    I mean there are a lot of factors involved but there are a great many "stars" who have awful numbers this year. OPS of some of folks who were expected to do much, much better
    Mondesi .557
    Escobar .569
    Baez .604
    Altuve .613

Robles .635
    Martinez .660
    Bell .664
    Eaton .669
    Moncada .693
    Correa .700
    Guriel .701
    Semien .703

And that's just some folks with enough PAs to qualify for batting title. Doesn't include guys like Sanchez, Rizzo, Bryant and a few other who have down years.
    Of course we know some guys are using stuff. We see positive tests practically every year. I think the crazy season is causing the bad play. Baseball players have their routines. Now they have to get tested all the time, can't leave their hotels, etc. It's hard to judge them under these circumstances.

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

DJ
    Judge DH
    Hix
    Luke
    Gleyber
    Gio
    Clint
    Everyday Brett
    Higgy
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

NYYF Legend

I agree it's plausible.
    Mondesi .557
    Escobar .569
    Baez .604
    Altuve .613

Robles .635
    Martinez .660
    Bell .664
    Eaton .669
    Moncada .693
    Correa .700
    Guriel .701
    Semien .703

While it doesn't completely exonerate him, Moncada has been documented as a long-hauler following his bout with COVID.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...9-aftereffects

Moncada said when he returned from his stay on the injured list that the only symptoms he experienced were a loss of his senses of smell and taste. He answered questions about whether he'd be able to be physically ready for the start of the season, making the Opening Day roster, starting at third base in the season-opener and getting off to a nice start at the plate.

But all along, he admitted, he has not felt like the same elite athlete who blossomed into one of the game's young stars last season.

"Definitely my body hasnít felt the same after the virus," he said Thursday through team interpreter Billy Russo. "I feel a lack of energy, strength, itís just a weird feeling. Itís different.

"When I got to Chicago, before I tested positive, I was feeling strong and with energy. Now, itís like a daily battle to try to find that strength, that energy to go through the day."
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    While it doesn't completely exonerate him, Moncada has been documented as a long-hauler following his bout with COVID.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...9-aftereffects
    My list isn't meant to be an accusation of anyone, if it felt that way I do apologize

I'm sure there could be many reasons why those players have bad years. Kris Bryant for example I believe has played through a number of injuries. But there is no denying that every player on that list has vastly under performed their 2020 projections.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    DJ
    Judge DH
    Hix
    Luke
    Gleyber
    Gio
    Clint
    Everyday Brett
    Higgy
    Hicks batting third. Wonder how many DPs we see tonight.

NYYF Legend

Disagree. Enough money will always be able to provide supply. If hitters are struggling, and you think it's due to steroids, it's more because the timing of their cycles got messed up (ie do steroids/cycle in the offseason, and then stop when the testing ramps at the start of season). The start of the season was delayed, and when it actually was going to start was all up in the air.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

My list isn't meant to be an accusation of anyone, if it felt that way I do apologize

I'm sure there could be many reasons why those players have bad years. Kris Bryant for example I believe has played through a number of injuries. But there is no denying that every player on that list has vastly under performed their 2020 projections.
    That's on me, I read the thread quickly and replied without really looking.

The idea of JD Martinez being completely unable to hit without video assistance so far, whether because he actually needs it or because it has him messed up mentally, is still delicious.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    That's on me, I read the thread quickly and replied without really looking.

The idea of JD Martinez being completely unable to hit without video assistance so far, whether because he actually needs it or because it has him messed up mentally, is still delicious.
    Well it was part of a discussion Art and were saying "No PEDS" "might play a part.

But yeah not being able to watch video of your ABs in game is why you can't hit? That's nutty. I mean how many ABs do you usually get off the same pitcher which is where the adjustments would help first and it would never help with your first AB.
    Baseball is life;

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Hicks batting third. Wonder how many DPs we see tonight.
    In a lineup like this one, it's inexcusable that a .218 BA and .395 SLG% gets you the #3 spot - repeatedly.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    In a lineup like this one, it's inexcusable that a .218 BA and .395 SLG% gets you the #3 spot - repeatedly.
    All that matters is he bats left handed.

Thread Information