+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 2020 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Exciting to see Giancarlo crush the ball today. I think we've all forgotten that Giancarlo can easily be one of the ten best hitters in the league based on his track record. The guy hit almost 20 HRs in a month before. A bad early start to his pinstripe career but I think he still has a great shot at a great Yankees career.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategerie View Post
    Exciting to see Giancarlo crush the ball today. I think we've all forgotten that Giancarlo can easily be one of the ten best hitters in the league based on his track record. The guy hit almost 20 HRs in a month before. A bad early start to his pinstripe career but I think he still has a great shot at a great Yankees career.
    I certainly hope so. There's a lot to like about him, but the injuries have already dramatically decreased his value by turning him into a DH on what seems like a permanent basis.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Giancarlo has hit two home runs and has a 1.543 OPS so far this post-season. He's been great, I sure hope it continues.

I guess he can stick around for another year or so...

Giancarlo is having a nice playoffs so far. Happy for him.

Don't look now, but so far this postseason the Yankees are getting the player they thought they were getting. He's still "just" a DH, but he's taking pitches and crushing the ball when he gets a pitch to hit.

I have a feeling this is one of the most quiet "HR in 3 straight postseason game and the team is up 3-0" situations as it can be. But yeah, against the Rays and their number 1 seed is probably the best time to unleash beast mode for Stanton.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Don't look now, but so far this postseason the Yankees are getting the player they thought they were getting. He's still "just" a DH, but he's taking pitches and crushing the ball when he gets a pitch to hit.
    Heís finally laying off the down and away pitch.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I would switch him and Voit in the lineup at this point, especially since they remove Voit in the later innings and Wade ends up in that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by X marked View Post
    I would switch him and Voit in the lineup at this point, especially since they remove Voit in the later innings and Wade ends up in that spot.
    I still don't understand why they're doing that, how much are they really gaining putting Wade at 2b and moving DJ to 1b that it is worth sacrificing Voits bat?

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rhod0406 View Post
    I still don't understand why they're doing that, how much are they really gaining putting Wade at 2b and moving DJ to 1b that it is worth sacrificing Voits bat?
    I half understand. Wade may have more range than DJ at second, not much but enough to be a factor.
    What I can't get is why they leave Sanchez behind the plate when the backup is a better defender by miles! AND, the catching position is about a million times more important.
    Not afraid to injure Voit's psyche but for Sanchez, it's ok?
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.ĒóHitman23

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I half understand. Wade may have more range than DJ at second, not much but enough to be a factor.
    What I can't get is why they leave Sanchez behind the plate when the backup is a better defender by miles! AND, the catching position is about a million times more important.
    Not afraid to injure Voit's psyche but for Sanchez, it's ok?
    They don't do this to improve defense at 2B. DJL is an elite 2B, and Wade can only hope to man that position as effectively as DJL does at some point. They do it to upgrade 1B defense, and while Voit is terrible with the glove, I don't think the math works out over time.

Downgrade defense at 2B + marginal improvement in defense at 1B - HUGE downgrade in bat in the cleanup spot comes out to a negative number IMHO.

NYYF Legend

True Yankee
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Ok...you can stay maybe 5-6 more years

Shades of 2009 ARod, letís hope for the same outcome at the end of this postseason

Itís nice to see what a healthy Stanton is capable of. Especially in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bag302 View Post
    Itís nice to see what a healthy Stanton is capable of. Especially in the playoffs.
    He has been the one consistent bright spot, for sure. Really the only knock on him (that is fair) is the frequency of these nagging injuries.

Almost single handedly has produced enough offense for 2 wins this series yet weíre still down 1-2. Really hope we donít waste the tear he is on, who knows when we might see this hot streak in postseason play again.

NYYF Legend

Incredible hitting. What a monster. He should test the waters in the free agent market this offseason.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Death Star Fully Operational

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Incredible hitting. What a monster. He should test the waters in the free agent market this offseason.
    We should only be so lucky.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

Yes, move Giancarlo up in the lineup to hit either third or cleanup to really scare the Rays. Game 4 is utterly crucial to have the Yankees taking a big early lead. LeMahieu gets on base followed by a HR blast by Judge, Stanton/Voit or Voit/Stanton.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Someone is under the impression that Stanton comes to this board

Devoted Member

After watching him this postseason I am pumped to see what he can bring to the table next year. I hate to give praise then add a BUT....BUT with the success he had this playoff I was very unhappy o not see him take the bat off his shoulder in the 9th inning on 5 straight pitches.

NYYF Legend

Since Giancarlo has arguably proven that restricting him to DH doesn't help keep him healthy, I really believe the Yanks should put him back on the field for at least 80 games in 2021 and have backup plans for expected injuries - namely OF depth, which they already have.

IMO they need to open up the DH spot (at least for 60-80 games) for several others on the roster that can contribute offensively.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Since Giancarlo has arguably proven that restricting him to DH doesn't help keep him healthy, I really believe the Yanks should put him back on the field for at least 80 games in 2021 and have backup plans for expected injuries - namely OF depth, which they already have.

IMO they need to open up the DH spot (at least for 60-80 games) for several others on the roster that can contribute offensively.
    Totally agree. Unfortunately Cashman is thinking otherwise.

Thread Information