+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Purely anecdotal but the number of signs I saw for Mondaire Jones was double anyone else. He was an underdog and won in a landslide. Can't help but wonder if just getting his name out so much with both signs and a big commercial push helped him.
    I saw a lot of signs for just about everyone in that melee - except Carlucci, which still puzzles me.

I’m figuring that Trump and Biden both have name recognition, though.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...-year-n1240134

Biden receives endorsement from Scientific American, magazine's first in 175-year history
    The magazine’s editors said they were motivated to endorse Biden after seeing how science has been ignored and politicized by President Donald Trump and his administration.
    The endorsement was published in Scientific American’s October issue, in which the magazine’s editors explained their reasons for publicly supporting Biden, adding that they “do not do this lightly.”

They said they were motivated to endorse Biden after seeing how science has been ignored and politicized by President Donald Trump and his administration.

“The evidence and the science show that Donald Trump has badly damaged the U.S. and its people — because he rejects evidence and science,” the editors wrote in the endorsement. They cited, in particular, the president’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, which has killed more than 195,000 Americans and continues to be a public health emergency.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ses-joe-biden/

Death Star Fully Operational

How in the world do some Americans think this country can compete with China or any other country without advancing science and technology? I thought we were beyond the "world is flat" crap.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    How in the world do some Americans think this country can compete with China or any other country without advancing science and technology? I thought we were beyond the "world is flat" crap.
    It's a combo of science will get in the way of next quarter's earnings (they don't have time to think about the next 10 years, just the next 10 weeks) and science is a liberal conspiracy to take jobs from middle America.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    It's a combo of science will get in the way of next quarter's earnings (they don't have time to think about the next 10 years, just the next 10 weeks) and science is a liberal conspiracy to take jobs from middle America.
    It's not just corporations and jobs. Those red-hatted doofs are convinced that most science-based solutions involve sacrificing things they love, like oversize cars and trucks and high-calorie, high fat food. The rest involve additional expense and effort. To some degree they are correct, but they are blind to the negative implications of ignoring the science.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    It's not just corporations and jobs. Those red-hatted doofs are convinced that most science-based solutions involve sacrificing things they love, like oversize cars and trucks and high-calorie, high fat food. The rest involve additional expense and effort. To some degree they are correct, but they are blind to the negative implications of ignoring the science.
    Just like with the virus, it's hard to explain and credit things that don't happen. If we spend money to "go green", the savings show up by us not having $100B plus in storm damage a year for the next century. It's hard to quantify or prove that.

NYYF Legend

Just like with the virus, it's hard to explain and credit things that don't happen. If we spend money to "go green", the savings show up by us not having $100B plus in storm damage a year for the next century. It's hard to quantify or prove that.
    Or the cost of burning millions of acres of federal land in western states.
    Or flooding in the Midwest....
    Or drought in Texas....
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF MVP

Or, you know, investing in green energy technologies that might actually grow and create jobs in the coming years rather than trying to sustain the dying coal industry

Tucker Carlson came up with a surprisingly apt analogy:

[C]limate change is like systemic racism in the sky. You can't see it, but rest assured it's everywhere and it's deadly. And like systemic racism, it is your fault.
    It’s not ‘your fault’ in the sense of creating the problem, but it is in the sense of not recognizing or addressing it.

That's wild, but I'm glad they did it.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Tucker Carlson came up with a surprisingly apt analogy:

It’s not ‘your fault’ in the sense of creating the problem, but it is in the sense of not recognizing or addressing it.
    It's not surprising, since it is dripping with acid sarcasm. Deny one, odds are you deny the other. That's just red meat for the red hats.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Gotta say Donald Trump was is fine form yesterday when he asked why Joe Biden hasn't instituted his national mandatory mask policy yet. Does Donnie even know he's currently the POTUS?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Gotta say Donald Trump was is fine form yesterday when he asked why Joe Biden hasn't instituted his national mandatory mask policy yet. Does Donnie even know he's currently the POTUS?
    That's... monumentally stupid.

(No, I'm not, John.)
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    It was funny and sad at the same time. Trump is a tool, but this country is even worse than Trump because they voted him into office.

It was funny and sad at the same time. Trump is a tool, but this country is even worse than Trump because they voted him into office.
    Now, I wasn't one of those Trump voters, but I'm not necessarily going to blame them for those votes in 2016. One could believe that an experienced businessman would surround himself with the appropriate expertise, do team-building, provide leadership and vision. None of those things happened, but a voter in 2016 could have anticipated that they WOULD have happened.

Of course, if they vote him back into office in 2020, that's a different story altogether. This time around, they KNOW he will not heed anyone's advice or take anyone's counsel.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Now, I wasn't one of those Trump voters, but I'm not necessarily going to blame them for those votes in 2016. One could believe that an experienced businessman would surround himself with the appropriate expertise, do team-building, provide leadership and vision. None of those things happened, but a voter in 2016 could have anticipated that they WOULD have happened.

Of course, if they vote him back into office in 2020, that's a different story altogether. This time around, they KNOW he will not heed anyone's advice or take anyone's counsel.
    And since it looks like the majority of them are going to vote for him again, maybe it had nothing to do with who he would surround himself with, team building, leadership or vision and everything to do with something else. Like, I dunno, maybe something that rhymes with bhite lupremacy.
    dolly could do the allegory of the cave but plato couldn’t do jolene

If that's the case they didn't do their homework as he might be an experienced businessman, but he's also a terrible businessman too. His business failures are legendary.

NYYF MVP

If that's the case they didn't do their homework as he might be an experienced businessman, but he's also a terrible businessman too. His business failures are legendary.
    And, let's not pretend he successfully ran a large, publicly held company. He's run an overgrown family business poorly, and was far more successful at building his brand than the actual business.

Trump out there blaming Biden for not instituting a mask mandate. Biden with the perfect response.

The lion's share of American voters NEVER do their homework. They vote for the Democrat, no matter who it is, or the Republican, no matter who it is. They don't read platforms. They don't learn about candidates with lower name recognition. "Klobichar? Buttigieg? I don't know anything about them." If only there were a way we could learn about these candidates.

Trump didn't win in 2016 because of what his vision for America is; he won because people knew the name. "Hey, he was on TV. I'll vote for him."

My disdain for the average American voter is significant.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

My company has made Election Day a paid day off this year and has implored people to be educated on the candidates and to vote.

Our CEO has stated that this is the most important election in most of our lifetimes.

Kudos to him and to the Company.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

Trump didn't win in 2016 because of what his vision for America is; he won because people knew the name. "Hey, he was on TV. I'll vote for him."
    Nah. They knew a kindred spirit when they saw one. They heard the dog whistles loud and clear and liked what they heard.

NYYF Legend

So Trump is rage-tweeting about how the upcoming election won’t be a legitimate one due to mail-in voting. This is Donald Trump’s narcissism on full display. He feels like he’s going to get his butt handed to him, and this is his built-in excuse as to why.

Remember, it is *never* his fault.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Nah. They knew a kindred spirit when they saw one. They heard the dog whistles loud and clear and liked what they heard.
    This. It had nothing to do with liking someone they'd seen on TV. They liked those "Mexicans are drug dealers and rapists" and "grab em by the pussy" comments. They hated POC and women as much as he does.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    So Trump is rage-tweeting about how the upcoming election won’t be a legitimate one due to mail-in voting. This is Donald Trump’s narcissism on full display. He feels like he’s going to get his butt handed to him, and this is his built-in excuse as to why.

Remember, it is *never* his fault.
    defeatbytweet.org

I tend to agree with you there. Let's face it, there a lot more racists in this country then were comfortable in acknowledging.

Thread Information