+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Re: MLB Season set to resume July 23/24

This might be more scheduling headache than it’s worth but can’t you have it so teams play multiple matches per week? I mean there’s a breakdown that tells you how you would have fared against all other teams that week even.

NYYF Legend

I'm down for that.

EDIT - wait, as long as I still get the 5000 point bonus as a former commissioner. That's a red line for me, I'm afraid.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    I'm down for that.

EDIT - wait, as long as I still get the 5000 point bonus as a former commissioner. That's a red line for me, I'm afraid.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Well I get that also then.

It's time for fantasy baseball gdn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMP08 View Post
    This might be more scheduling headache than it’s worth but can’t you have it so teams play multiple matches per week? I mean there’s a breakdown that tells you how you would have fared against all other teams that week even.
    That is an insane amount of work.

After reading this article, I'm now of the opinion that whatever we do should be fun, definitely not count against keepers, and not be a real Champjon. If anyone hasn't seen that article, give it a read. There are way too many variables at play, and the season may not even play out fully. So let's just make a goofy short season, have a blast with it, and resume next year with a real season.

That said, I'll go with whatever the majority or commish decide.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripePride View Post

That said, I'll go with whatever the majority or commish decide.
    I concur. As long as we try something.

Kicking the Grim Reaper's Ass Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Well I get that also then.
    Same here so I'm good with that rule...

So if a majority is fine with the following:

1. This is a "gap" year: no impact to any long-term rules, keeper eligibility all players currently kept (and we already processed keepers so that's simple) will be the same next year.

2. 9 weeks of a regular season where you play your own division once and one other division once

3. 1 week finals between the top two point scorers

Then I'll go ahead and send out messages and do a schedule and set a draft date.

Quote Originally Posted by gdn View Post

1. This is a "gap" year: no impact to any long-term rules, keeper eligibility all players currently kept (and we already processed keepers so that's simple) will be the same next year.

2. 9 weeks of a regular season where you play your own division once and one other division once

Then I'll go ahead and send out messages and do a schedule and set a draft date.
    We could also have an 8-week regular season, all games in your own division, then 4 division winners go to playoffs. I think it would add legitimacy to the season since the best in the divisions would advance. 1 week playoff, 1 week WS.

NYYF HOF

I'd rather have 8 week season intran-division and a 1 week playoff, 1 week championship.

Basically what E said

NYYF Legend

Any of the above-mentioned ideas sound great, and are infinitely better than no season.

If I understand correctly - no impact to any keepers means that this year we keep whoever we planned to keep in March, and can do the same next year without having lost a year of eligibility - but we can also choose new keepers for 2021 from our 2020 rosters?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    We could also have an 8-week regular season, all games in your own division, then 4 division winners go to playoffs. I think it would add legitimacy to the season since the best in the divisions would advance. 1 week playoff, 1 week WS.
    I get that, my only issue is that we aren't really guaranteeing the best teams rise to the top. We are eliminating WCs, so if a team ends up with a worse record than another team in a different division, but with way more points by virtue of being a better team playing tougher opponents, they don't have any way to get to the playoffs.

I think with the elimination of the WCs for this short season, that makes it a bit unfair, but I haven't really done the research to see how often teams finishing in the top 8 in points miss the playoffs and teams lower on the points table make the playoffs by virtue of winning their weaker division.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    I'd rather have 8 week season intran-division and a 1 week playoff, 1 week championship.

Basically what E said
    Then I'd suggest the top 4 scoring teams make the playoffs. I don't know if I'm explaining my issue with not doing that properly, but basically we account for really good teams not getting to the playoffs because they play in a really tough division by having the best points and best record wild cards. With those two gone, you can potentially have three teams in a division score the three highest points in the league by a longshot and only one gets in, while two other teams with far worse records and far fewer points make it in because they played in a weak division...does that make sense?

I'll defer to the majority and or the commissioner.

After this weekend my feelings have changed a lot anyway. We'd never had 100,000 cases of the virus as a country over three days, until this past Thursday, Friday, Saturday when we hit 125,000.

I think we might start the season, but I think it's less than 50/50 that it finishes. So if we punt the season it's OK by me, and if we try to get something in that's also fine by me.

NYYF HOF

Then I'd suggest the top 4 scoring teams make the playoffs. I don't know if I'm explaining my issue with not doing that properly, but basically we account for really good teams not getting to the playoffs because they play in a really tough division by having the best points and best record wild cards. With those two gone, you can potentially have three teams in a division score the three highest points in the league by a longshot and only one gets in, while two other teams with far worse records and far fewer points make it in because they played in a weak division...does that make sense?
    Eh, I'd rather have the division winners than the top 4 scoring; but whatever works for everyone.

NYYF MVP

I'm ok with this, but I'd prefer 8+2, with 4 playoff teams (regardless if it's top 4 overall or the 4 division winners). A 9+1 system with just top 2 in playoffs means some teams will be out of it very early. You start 0-2 and it's over, since 7-2 is unlikely to get you in the first two. With 8 weeks and top 4, a 6-2 record might be enough.

NYYF Legend

I am good with whatever y'all decide. Hope we can make this whacky short season a fun one !

As long as I can beat JDPNYY - again -I'm good!

NYYF Cy Young

do it!!!

Ok, I'm fine doing 8+2. I suggested 9+1 because each division has 5 teams, so it would be easier to schedule: 4 against teams in your own division and 5 against another division. But if we're going with points, which I think we would have to especially if we are only doing 8 weeks, then we could simply do two rounds intra-division.

Ok, I'm fine doing 8+2. I suggested 9+1 because each division has 5 teams, so it would be easier to schedule: 4 against teams in your own division and 5 against another division. But if we're going with points, which I think we would have to especially if we are only doing 8 weeks, then we could simply do two rounds intra-division.
    sounds perfect...or at least the best that can be given the circumstances.

8 + 2 works for me too.

For what it's worth, if we get to finish the season, the Champjon will always be a fake Champjon.

....Unless it's me. Then it's a legit Champjonship and if anyone tries to asterisk it, we fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Same here so I'm good with that rule...
    We need to form a union

I’m not pushing back on this at all. But if we’re going with the top two scoring teams, the head to head aspect is meaningless. Just wanted to point that out. I mean I’m fine with it but this is more roto style. But with points instead of categories. Which is totally cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I’m not pushing back on this at all. But if we’re going with the top two scoring teams, the head to head aspect is meaningless. Just wanted to point that out. I mean I’m fine with it but this is more roto style. But with points instead of categories. Which is totally cool.
    Right, that's exactly what it becomes, but we keep our format. Problem with division winners with an 8 week schedule, is that not everyone will play everyone from another division. Then you're just relying on luck and chance that you don't end up playing the best team in the other division. Because you only play 4 teams out of the 5. How do you decide which one gets skipped? How is that fair?

Thread Information