+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Re: Baseball negotiations

Marxists AND Americans agree: When will we see the revised schedule? I want the schedule!
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Death Star Fully Operational

Michael Kay mentioned yesterday that YES is going to show some Summer Camp footage on Friday and Saturday from 3:00-5:00 p.m. ET.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

NYYF Legend

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred on The Dan Patrick Show: ď"The reality is, we werenít going to play more than sixty games, no matter how the negotiation with the players went or any other factorĒ
    So we dragged baseball thru the mud publicly for.. no reason? Stay baseball baseball.
    https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/12...316934656?s=19

If that's not negotiation in bad faith, I don't know what is. And I have no clue why he told us this when the players have given up millions in order to reserve the right of filing grievance.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post

If that's not negotiation in bad faith, I don't know what is. And I have no clue why he told us this when the players have given up millions in order to reserve the right of filing grievance.
    I hear you. But I'm reading his quote differently.

The owners are losing something for every game played without fans. There is no question about this. Anyone who argues this point is very much unaware of what costs are involved in running a sports team. However, the amount lost per game is subject to wide-ranging debates. My take on the Commish' statement is that 60 games was the maximum loss the owners as a group were willing to swallow.

I would even wager that there were several owners willing to not play at all. While Derek Jeter claimed the other day that Miami was not in that camp, I find that somewhat ingenuous, especially with all the cost-cutting going on there since he took over. I believe Pittsburgh was also in that camp, as were the Mets. And I would not be surprised if Boston also was, as I believe they had a strong inkling about Sale needing TJ surgery well before it was announced, and knew they had no chance in 2020.

Just my take on things. And I believe I am correct in reading the tea leaves, no matter what the Owners choose to say publicly.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I hear you. But I'm reading his quote differently.

The owners are losing something for every game played without fans. There is no question about this. Anyone who argues this point is very much unaware of what costs are involved in running a sports team. However, the amount lost per game is subject to wide-ranging debates. My take on the Commish' statement is that 60 games was the maximum loss the owners as a group were willing to swallow.

I would even wager that there were several owners willing to not play at all. While Derek Jeter claimed the other day that Miami was not in that camp, I find that somewhat ingenuous, especially with all the cost-cutting going on there since he took over. I believe Pittsburgh was also in that camp, as were the Mets. And I would not be surprised if Boston also was, as I believe they had a strong inkling about Sale needing TJ surgery well before it was announced, and knew they had no chance in 2020.

Just my take on things. And I believe I am correct in reading the tea leaves, no matter what the Owners choose to say publicly.
    I get what he's trying to say but it's foolish to actually say it to the public even if it's true. CBA doesn't guarantee the owner to make a profit every single year. What he said is basically asking the players to file grievance against his boss.

NYYF Legend

Were the owners negotiating in good faith when they agreed to pay 100% of the prorated pay?

Both sides handled this whole thing very very badly and I'm ashamed of them.

But I'll be happy to watch some Yankee games in a few weeks...
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

I get what he's trying to say but it's foolish to actually say it to the public even if it's true. CBA doesn't guarantee the owner to make a profit every single year. What he said is basically asking the players to file grievance against his boss.
    After the foolishness and stupidity that both the Players and owners publicly displayed the past couple of months, anything Madfred or Clark says is basically worthless.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Were the owners negotiating in good faith when they agreed to pay 100% of the prorated pay?

Both sides handled this whole thing very very badly and I'm ashamed of them.

But I'll be happy to watch some Yankee games in a few weeks...
    ? It's not negotiating in good faith when they agreed to pay 100% of the prorated pay. They have to according to CBA.

NYYF Legend

? It's not negotiating in good faith when they agreed to pay 100% of the prorated pay. They have to according to CBA.
    I didn't know that. Do you think the Players' Union negotiated in good faith?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Personally, i do not.

When you reject every offer made to you, and counter-offer with the same premise as your previous offer, but just lower the number of games because of time limitations - no you did not negotiate in good faith.

Not that the owners did any better, but I though there last couple of offers were a distinct move in the right direction.

The goal of the leadership for the Player's union is to maximize the amount received. Not stick to a hard-line of "full prorata pay" The players would have received more under the last owner's offer, and the overall time-frame is not that much of a difference from what the will have under the Commish' mandate.

NYYF Legend

Yes. People seems to forget that they do not have to agree pro-rata salary in first place. According to CBA they get their full salary as long as there is a season. It's not like NFL. So the owners either cancel the whole season or pay the players full salary if they don't make agreement of being paid pro-rata in March.

The owners then asked the players to be paid only half or even less on the pro-rata salary because the owners said that they would lose money. The owners at the same time refused to open their book. I don't think any business is guaranteed to make a profit every year. Why should the players accept anything less.

Thread Information