+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Devoted Member

Re-opening scenarios

I keep reading about suggestions where they will eventually allow fans back in to the games in limited numbers and with social distancing space between fans. I feel sorry for the people who are going to have to design the plan for THAT.

If they have sold 40,000 tickets for a game against the Red Sox, how do they decide who is allowed to attend and who is not?
    "OK, Jeter jersey and you have a little kid with you, you can come in. Boston hat, you're out."
    "You bought your ticket from Ticketmaster in December, you're in. You bought yours on StubHub in March, you're out."
    "Group of 4 guys who are going to buy a lot of beer, you're in. Elderly couple, you're out."

And how about social distance seating?
    "OK mom & dad and two kids, you go to Section 417. But don't sit next to each other!"
    "Hey, no groups larger than two in Section 229!"
    "Six feet apart in the line for the men's room."

I know that some baseball is better than no baseball, but...
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

NYYF Legend

Re: Re-opening scenarios

My question is how will it work with the season ticketholders. My row is pretty much all full season. So how can you spread us out?

I can’t envision any scenario in which any fan is admitted into any game at any point this season...

I can barely envision even a remote chance of games being played at all this season...

We are just starting this battle here in late April...while cases and deaths are plateauing, that’s WITH all kinds of social distancing and lock downs. The virus will be here into 2021 at least...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    I keep reading about suggestions where they will eventually allow fans back in to the games in limited numbers and with social distancing space between fans. I feel sorry for the people who are going to have to design the plan for THAT.

If they have sold 40,000 tickets for a game against the Red Sox, how do they decide who is allowed to attend and who is not?
    "OK, Jeter jersey and you have a little kid with you, you can come in. Boston hat, you're out."
    "You bought your ticket from Ticketmaster in December, you're in. You bought yours on StubHub in March, you're out."
    "Group of 4 guys who are going to buy a lot of beer, you're in. Elderly couple, you're out."

And how about social distance seating?
    "OK mom & dad and two kids, you go to Section 417. But don't sit next to each other!"
    "Hey, no groups larger than two in Section 229!"
    "Six feet apart in the line for the men's room."

I know that some baseball is better than no baseball, but...

I don't think there will be any fans at an American sporting event or concert until some time in 2021. Probably not until there's a vaccine and we can end all forms of social distancing.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    I don't think there will be any fans at an American sporting event or concert until some time in 2021. Probably not until there's a vaccine and we can end all forms of social distancing.
    Bob Costas was a guest on the Michael Key show yesterday he said in his opinion there will be NO sports this year.

Only his thoughts
    Last edited by Yankee-1; 04-23-20 at 02:54 PM.

Kicking the Grim Reaper's Ass Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I'm hoping for an abbreviated NFL season, maybe a delayed hockey / NBA season, but I'm not confident.

I predict: No MLB, No NCAA through the end of 2020. Meaning no CFB, no bowl games, nothing.
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I'm hoping for an abbreviated NFL season, maybe a delayed hockey / NBA season, but I'm not confident.

I predict: No MLB, No NCAA through the end of 2020. Meaning no CFB, no bowl games, nothing.
    Just idle speculation, but imagine NFL kicking off on New Year's Day? Ratings would be astronomical...and the Super Bowl Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend...

Not that I'm hoping for it, but would actually be fun for one year

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Just idle speculation, but imagine NFL kicking off on New Year's Day? Ratings would be astronomical...and the Super Bowl Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend...

Not that I'm hoping for it, but would actually be fun for one year
    I'd suggest FIFA World Cup Format. Eliminate half the teams in a quick round-robin opening round among four groups of eight, playing home and home, leaving sixteen, and then four elimination games. That's 20 weeks.

League play doesn't matter anyway.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF MVP

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I'd suggest FIFA World Cup Format. Eliminate half the teams in a quick round-robin opening round among four groups of eight, playing home and home, leaving sixteen, and then four elimination games. That's 20 weeks.

League play doesn't matter anyway.
    It might not matter, but it generates a lot of revenue.

NYYF Triple Crown

(glad we have this Title because bunch of ideas being thrown out there - playing in Hubs (Arizona, Florida (2 leagues) but read last week another is with Texas) with no fans. Some states are starting to open up. Some players are still at some training centers with trainers (Judge in Tampa?) using social distancing. Fortunately I did not buy any tickets this year but I should call MLB-TV.

R.J. Anderson of CBS Sports reports that one idea the league is discussing is putting teams in one of three hubs located in Florida, Arizona and Texas.
    It's been reported previously that Major League Baseball has discussed the possibility of playing games in Arizona and also Arizona and Florida, but this is the first we've heard about Texas being a potential spot. Like the "Arizona Plan" and "Arizona and Florida Plan," this one isn't close to getting off the ground at this point. Rather, it's just one idea being kicked around as baseball tries to salvage the 2020 season.

SOURCE: R.J. Anderson on Twitter
    Apr 20, 2020, 8:27 PM ET

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    (glad we have this Title because bunch of ideas being thrown out there - playing in Hubs (Arizona, Florida (2 leagues) but read last week another is with Texas) with no fans. Some states are starting to open up. Some players are still at some training centers with trainers (Judge in Tampa?) using social distancing. Fortunately I did not buy any tickets this year but I should call MLB-TV.

R.J. Anderson of CBS Sports reports that one idea the league is discussing is putting teams in one of three hubs located in Florida, Arizona and Texas.
    It's been reported previously that Major League Baseball has discussed the possibility of playing games in Arizona and also Arizona and Florida, but this is the first we've heard about Texas being a potential spot. Like the "Arizona Plan" and "Arizona and Florida Plan," this one isn't close to getting off the ground at this point. Rather, it's just one idea being kicked around as baseball tries to salvage the 2020 season.

SOURCE: R.J. Anderson on Twitter
    Apr 20, 2020, 8:27 PM ET

It probably makes the most sense -- send the AL East and NL East to Florida, the Central divisions go to Texas, and the West divisions go to Arizona. That way all the teams can play at "normal" times in those cities. How doable is it? I have no idea. But that aspect of it seems reasonable.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

It probably makes the most sense -- send the AL East and NL East to Florida, the Central divisions go to Texas, and the West divisions go to Arizona. That way all the teams can play at "normal" times in those cities. How doable is it? I have no idea. But that aspect of it seems reasonable.
    IMO, Arizona makes the most sense - with all those stadia locates so close to each other, logistics (and exposure) are reduced compared to Florida.

Of course, playing in the Arizona heat in the middle of the summer may be a negative factor.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Kicking the Grim Reaper's Ass Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

And none of the players want to be separated from their families for the whole season.

Plus umpires, league officials, ballpark attendants, etc.
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    And none of the players want to be separated from their families for the whole season.

Plus umpires, league officials, ballpark attendants, etc.
    It would be interesting if MLB & the PA agree to an Arizona type option, but some players say no to being separated from their families—do those players go on some new reserved, not playing and receive no salary/service time? It would make sense to allow a player with objections to “opt-out” in such a manner. Doesn’t count against 40-man; maybe treat like a sixty-day DL stint (i.e. player who opts out must miss sixty days of season before being eligible to return.)

To me, the optics of “forcing” a player with objections to play in such a restricted environment aren’t great. Better, IMO, to respect their wishes and let younger, willing players fill their roster spots.

FYI - under my logic, a player under a contract signed as a FA who opts out would not be paid, but the clock on the contract would run, so someone like Paxton and DJL would still be FAs if the opted not to play.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    It would be interesting if MLB & the PA agree to an Arizona type option, but some players say no to being separated from their families—do those players go on some new reserved, not playing and receive no salary/service time? It would make sense to allow a player with objections to “opt-out” in such a manner. Doesn’t count against 40-man; maybe treat like a sixty-day DL stint (i.e. player who opts out must miss sixty days of season before being eligible to return.)

To me, the optics of “forcing” a player with objections to play in such a restricted environment aren’t great. Better, IMO, to respect their wishes and let younger, willing players fill their roster spots.

FYI - under my logic, a player under a contract signed as a FA who opts out would not be paid, but the clock on the contract would run, so someone like Paxton and DJL would still be FAs if the opted not to play.
    I'll be honest, there are so many caveats and so much weirdness associated with whatever they do at this point (some guys probably refusing to play, silent/empty parks, no home stadiums, shortened season, modified rules), that it's going to be hard for me to get all that much invested in it.

I know we are all starved for some kind of watchable competition and I'm not saying I won't check it out early on, undoubtedly I will, but it's going to be impossible to put this season into any kind of historical context and it's going to feel like a staged event of some kind rather than the day to day rhythm of the sport that to me is a big part of the appeal of baseball...

the latest proposal would have them starting late june/july and play in their own stadiums. from a regional perspective, the Yanks would play the Met, Phillies, Tampa, Boston, Toronto an Marlins.

Would make for some interesting side stories, aka Girardi in Philly, Jeter's Marlins....

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    the latest proposal would have them starting late june/july and play in their own stadiums. from a regional perspective, the Yanks would play the Met, Phillies, Tampa, Boston, Toronto an Marlins.

Would make for some interesting side stories, aka Girardi in Philly, Jeter's Marlins....
    I don’t get how that’s "regional." KC is just about the same distance from NY as Miami is, and Minneapolis is about the same distance as Tampa. St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and whatever else I forgot are all closer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don’t get how that’s "regional." KC is just about the same distance from NY as Miami is, and Minneapolis is about the same distance as Tampa. St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and whatever else I forgot are all closer.

East, Central, West. teams in the east play each other, teams in the western third of the country play each other, teams in the middle of the country face each other. Basically, for the most part they would plan to combine the corresponding division in each league, with perhaps some minor changes.

East, Central, West. teams in the east play each other, teams in the western third of the country play each other, teams in the middle of the country face each other. Basically, for the most part they would plan to combine the corresponding division in each league, with perhaps some minor changes.
    So Arizona and Seattle are "regional," but Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are not.

There will inevitably be contradictory or odd placements in any kind of effort like this, particularly with teams more densely situated east of the Mississippi. Remember, the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West for years.

Seattle's geographically closest AL West rival, the Oakland A's, are 800 miles away. Boston to New York is a relative stone's throw compared to that.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    There will inevitably be contradictory or odd placements in any kind of effort like this, particularly with teams more densely situated east of the Mississippi. Remember, the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West for years.

Seattle's geographically closest AL West rival, the Oakland A's, are 800 miles away. Boston to New York is a relative stone's throw compared to that.
    Seattle will always be an outlier, but they should stop pretending that their divisions - or just dividing the country into vertical stripes - constitutes something regional. Now there’s actual incentive to reduce travel. Instead, they could try actually thinking about it. For example, Miami-Tampa-Atlanta-Houston is a good start for a region.

NYYF Legend

Not sure where I read this, but.................

I believe that Pittsburgh was included in the East in the scenario mentioned above.

The East Division, or Region would be:

Yankees;
    Mets;
    Toronto;
    Boston;
    Philly;
    Pittsburgh;
    Baltimore;
    Washington;
    Tampa;
    Miami.

This is the 10 team East. Similar setups for the Central and West. Texas teams were in the West. Atlanta was in the Central.

The talk was that each team would play at home for a long period, and then on he road for a long period. No short 2 - game series, everything 3-5 games long. A series of weekly double-headers, and minimal off-days.

The major issue I remember coming away with was that if there is a 2 day rain-storm in any city, it really messes up the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Not sure where I read this, but.................

I believe that Pittsburgh was included in the East in the scenario mentioned above.

The East Division, or Region would be:

Yankees;
    Mets;
    Toronto;
    Boston;
    Philly;
    Pittsburgh;
    Baltimore;
    Washington;
    Tampa;
    Miami.

This is the 10 team East. Similar setups for the Central and West. Texas teams were in the West. Atlanta was in the Central.

The talk was that each team would play at home for a long period, and then on he road for a long period. No short 2 - game series, everything 3-5 games long. A series of weekly double-headers, and minimal off-days.

The major issue I remember coming away with was that if there is a 2 day rain-storm in any city, it really messes up the schedule.
    Then substitute "...but Tampa, Atlanta, and Houston are not." They should at least look at a map when they do this.

Also, if they want to generate interest, ten-team divisions are an awful idea. Some of us are old enough to have rooted for a tenth-place team.

NYYF Legend

You're never going to have a perfect system when you also have to divide it into three equal divisions and when the east is much more compact than the west. You just have to do the best you can.

Thread Information