+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Re-opening scenarios

Players 100% feed of fans. Ever see the Orioles effort at Camden Yards when its somewhat lively when the Yankees or Sox are in vs their effort vs, say Oakland? Ever watch a game at Fenway and see an opposing team melt down with everyone on top of them?

Heck the Marlins admitted they pretty much wanted to shut up the Jose Jose Jose chants when they wrecked the Mets final Shea season

Kicking the Grim Reaper's Ass Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post
    I have heard many players say they don't hear the fans
    Bull. I work with a guy who played pro ball, was even in the majors for a cup of coffee. He says there's nothing like it when you get a hit and the crowd is cheering for you.
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

What do these non baseball examples have to do with baseball??

You think the broadcasters will make a call different because there are no fan in the stands?
    Or do you think the player won't celebrate because there are no fans.
    You asked "How could your experience watching a game be affected by fans in the stands?" So that is all sports examples.

Yes, players will not be allowed to celebrate if there are no fans in the stands. Part of the regulations MLB set out is no high-fives, no hugs, no physical contact.

So when a player hits a walk-off HR, no high-five from the base coaches. No players circling home plate, ready to hug, smack, or otherwise celebrate with their team.

Pitcher throws a no-hitter, don't all mob him on the mound, just quietly walk off the field. David Cone being carried off the field after his perfect game? Iconic image that would be banned.

So yes, in a way, if there are no fans in the stands, the players would have to celebrate differently.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    You asked "How could your experience watching a game be affected by fans in the stands?" So that is all sports examples.

Yes, players will not be allowed to celebrate if there are no fans in the stands. Part of the regulations MLB set out is no high-fives, no hugs, no physical contact.

So when a player hits a walk-off HR, no high-five from the base coaches. No players circling home plate, ready to hug, smack, or otherwise celebrate with their team.

Pitcher throws a no-hitter, don't all mob him on the mound, just quietly walk off the field. David Cone being carried off the field after his perfect game? Iconic image that would be banned. So yes, in a way, if there are no fans in the stands, the players would have to celebrate differently

You are way off. You said you would not watch if there were no fans in the stands. Now you are making a different argument. The player actions have nothing to do with fans in the stands. The rules you sighted are for player protection and I agree that will be missed. But even if fans were there the restrictions would be the same.

Face it your argument doesn't make any sense. The game will be played the way the game will be played --fan or not

You are way off. You said you would not watch if there were no fans in the stands. Now you are making a different argument. The player actions have nothing to do with fans in the stands. The rules you sighted are for player protection and I agree that will be missed. But even if fans were there the restrictions would be the same.

Face it your argument doesn't make any sense. The game will be played the way the game will be played --fan or not
    Once fans are permitted in the stands, most likely the physical restrictions on players will also be relaxed.

YES, my original statement was that I wouldn't watch games with no fans in the stands. To which YOU SAID, "How could your experience watching a game be affected by fans in the stands?"

So I responded to your question, giving examples not just from baseball, but other sports as well. To which YOU SAID "What do these non baseball examples have to do with baseball??" and "...Or do you think the player won't celebrate because there are no fans."

So I answered those questions.

Then you said "Now you are making a different argument." I am not making a different argument, I am simply following the conversation and answering your questions.

NYYF MVP

Once fans are permitted in the stands, most likely the physical restrictions on players will also be relaxed.

YES, my original statement was that I wouldn't watch games with no fans in the stands. To which YOU SAID, "How could your experience watching a game be affected by fans in the stands?"

So I responded to your question, giving examples not just from baseball, but other sports as well. To which YOU SAID "What do these non baseball examples have to do with baseball??" and "...Or do you think the player won't celebrate because there are no fans."

So I answered those questions.
    Then you said "Now you are making a different argument." I am not making a different argument, I am simply following the conversation and answering your questions.
    Cool Stay safe Hope we become those fans

Devoted Member

I donít think there is going to be a season this year. Not for safety reasons, but that the owners and players will not be able to come to an agreement on salaries.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripeDynasty View Post
    I donít think there is going to be a season this year. Not for safety reasons, but that the owners and players will not be able to come to an agreement on salaries.
    It does seem like baseball will be the only sport to get hung up on the economic end. I'm not sure it will be enough to torpedo the season, but it's pretty predictable that baseball would be the sport that would have the most drama around that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    It does seem like baseball will be the only sport to get hung up on the economic end. I'm not sure it will be enough to torpedo the season, but it's pretty predictable that baseball would be the sport that would have the most drama around that aspect.
    I probably said the same thing in 94. But I do not think I will return to the sport if they cancel the season for economics.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Here is the scenario that I havenít seen listed yet. What about all the body armor that batters wear these days? When they get a hit, are they going to be allowed to give it to the base coach? I donít see how taking these devices are any different than a high five from an infection control perspective.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Here is the scenario that I havenít seen listed yet. What about all the body armor that batters wear these days? When they get a hit, are they going to be allowed to give it to the base coach? I donít see how taking these devices are any different than a high five from an infection control perspective.
    For that matter, if thereís no ass-slapping, then what's the function of a first-base coach?

I can't believe that there will be no season because the players and owners can't come to an agreement. I still say they know that they must work this out or MLB will take an incredible hit.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefansince68 View Post
    I can't believe that there will be no season because the players and owners can't come to an agreement. I still say they know that they must work this out or MLB will take an incredible hit.
    Any "hit" will be short term. People have short memories. And once this is behind us and play resumes even if next year people will watch/attend.

Of course I am speaking only for myself. I enjoy baseball l have not found anything to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefansince68 View Post
    If they just donít hold the season, they might not take as big a hit as, say, 1994. I could be wrong, though.

Wants 2 be your latex salesman

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If they just don’t hold the season, they might not take as big a hit as, say, 1994. I could be wrong, though.
    Maybe, but with NASCAR already back, PGA golf back next week, and the NHL and NBA more or less committed to playoffs sometime in July or August, it's going to be a hell of a bad look if baseball skips out on July and August -- two months that it traditionally rules -- over money. During a pandemic.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Maybe, but with NASCAR already back, PGA golf back next week, and the NHL and NBA more or less committed to playoffs sometime in July or August, it's going to be a hell of a bad look if baseball skips out on July and August -- two months that it traditionally rules -- over money. During a pandemic.
    There's also the continued slide they have with younger audiences...not playing for a full season isn't going to help that - especially when the other leagues are going to get a lot of attention for starting up and playing their seasons

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    There's also the continued slide they have with younger audiences...not playing for a full season isn't going to help that - especially when the other leagues are going to get a lot of attention for starting up and playing their seasons
    Yeah but they made the IBB automatic.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

NYYF Legend

Also... can we please replace Rob Manfred?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Also... can we please replace Rob Manfred?
    For who? You know the owners would just pick another Selig clone.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    For who? You know the owners would just pick another Selig clone.
    He's ruining baseball and eating all our steak.

Sports without fans is lame anyway. NASCAR can get away with it and probably horse racing too. Golf is so-so, but I can't imagine the Masters on Sunday, without the fans on the 18th hole. Without fans, we might as well be watching practice time.

But I'm on the players' side here. They agreed to a pro-rated salary based on games played. That's fair. If the owners are losing money, that's not the players' fault. I wouldn't work for less than I'm owed either.

Wants 2 be your latex salesman

Sports without fans is lame anyway.
    no sports at all is far lamer.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

I don't know why they have to plan empty stadiums. Can't they just sit everybody one seat apart and make everyone where you mask

NYYF Legend

I flipped on the TV this morning to watch News 12 for a minute.

There was a commercial for Cambridge Paving Stones, with armortec. I cried.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by jmartle View Post
    I don't know why they have to plan empty stadiums. Can't they just sit everybody one seat apart and make everyone where you mask
    Easier said then done.

First, the government needs to allow large crowds - right now, the largest crowds allowed are around 100 people.

Second, social distancing is not every other seat - it would be closer to every third street and every other row.

Last, who is going to enforce the ďwear your mask ruleĒ, the ushers? Yeah, right.

I have high hopes that attendance at sporting events will be allied down the line, but expecting it soon is probably unrealistic.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information