+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: All Time 25 Man NON-HOF'er Yankee Roster and Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Boyer was a Yankee for 8 years, Nettles for 11.
    And yet he doesn't jump to the front of my mind when I think of Yankee 3Bmen.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    And yet he doesn't jump to the front of my mind when I think of Yankee 3Bmen.
    Strange. Guess your parameters are 1961-1970 and 1985-present.

NYYF Legend

I will admit to a "Yankees of my youth" bias - Peterson's time the team was during the dark days of the CBS ownership. I do think that if Fritz had been with the same team that Coney was a member of, his numbers likely will have been better.

Another of my biases is "players I don't think of as Yankees" - Nettles is one of those players, since his time with the Yankees coincided with my time in the Navy, which made following the Yankees of that era very difficult.

Statistically, I will give it to you.

I have very fond memories of Horace Clarke, but I wouldn't even call him a defensive player.

I added this qualification to my post because otherwise it becomes a stats page exercise.
    Fritz pitched for a few decent Yankees teams. Like I said before he was a good pitcher and I have a soft spot for those early 70s CBS teams. Lots of fun back then. But Fritz never had the stuff that Cone had. Cone was an ace. Fritz never was that good.

NYYF Legend

Strange. Guess your parameters are 1961-1970 and 1985-present.
    Not really - growing up, we had WPIX on cable, so I got to watch lots of Yankee games in what was (and still is) a Red Sox household.

Once I went into the service, the best I could do for many years was follow the team after the fact - sometimes, a couple of weeks after the fact. As a result, my memories of the seventies teams are not the same as the sixties teams, even as bad as the latter sixties teams were.

Boyer was a Yankee for 8 years, Nettles for 11.
    Not to mention, Nettles had 44 WAR with the Yankees, Boyer 19.

EDIT: Well, I guess I DID mention.....

NYYF Triple Crown

Charlie Keller has to make this team.
    Nice. What a great player. (Hellonewman did a nice job) I tried to post earlier but couldn't (busy). I went back to find out what happened. On June 25, 1946 he hurt his back (he was leading all baseball in HR, RBIs, and runs with Joe next to him), June 27 it went down his leg, and July 18th had the surgery to remove a slipped disk. His baseball career ended. I only knew him because Joe D but this brought back his name. thanks

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Guidry
    Stottlemyre
    Allie Reynolds
    CC?
    A good quartet. I might add Raschi or Lopat because, like Reynolds, they were terrific big-game pitchers (and Ted Williams hated facing Lopat).

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Nice. What a great player. (Hellonewman did a nice job) I tried to post earlier but couldn't (busy). I went back to find out what happened. On June 25, 1946 he hurt his back (he was leading all baseball in HR, RBIs, and runs with Joe next to him), June 27 it went down his leg, and July 18th had the surgery to remove a slipped disk. His baseball career ended. I only knew him because Joe D but this brought back his name. thanks
    Absolutely about Keller. I feel much the same about Henrich. Guys like this--tough WS competitors--were key to the success of Yankee teams in the 1930s and 40s. My father--not a Yankee fan!--used to complain of Yankee success because "they always 'push a button' and somebody like Keller or Henrich shows up."

Sorry OT I know, haven't checked in in a bit. What happened to the other threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    Sorry OT I know, haven't checked in in a bit. What happened to the other threads?
    They're still there. Check your 'Thread Options' setting. If you have it set to 'last 10 days' this is likely the only thread in ITL that has had any activity. Push the option out to see older threads, and they'll reappear.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    They're still there. Check your 'Thread Options' setting. If you have it set to 'last 10 days' this is likely the only thread in ITL that has had any activity. Push the option out to see older threads, and they'll reappear.
    I just checked my settings - it was listed as Forum Default, which appears to be the ten day number. When I changed it to last month, three other threads appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Holy cow is that right?!? All this time I've been a member I always though geez one of the biggest sports teams and there's hardly ever any posts. That's a bit of a silly default setting. Thanks!

I just checked my settings - it was listed as Forum Default, which appears to be the ten day number. When I changed it to last month, three other threads appeared.
    I set mine to show all and holy cow there's billions of threads!!! Maynerd is a genius

I've never seen another forum with a setting like that and I've been on many. I wonder how many other people don't know about this?

Holy cow is that right?!? All this time I've been a member I always though geez one of the biggest sports teams and there's hardly ever any posts. That's a bit of a silly default setting. Thanks! Maynerd is a genius.
    I'm here to serve.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Maynerd is a genius
    Mentally stable, too. Many people say that.

Thread Information