+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Re: COVID-19 in Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    If baseball gets played this year under any of the crazy formats being discussed it will be better than no baseball but final outcome will be meaningless.
    In 1981, the Yankees played just 107 regular season games. And the playoffs were definitely a crazy format that year, as they had pre-strike and post-strike leaders.

I don't consider the 1981 pennant to be meaningless. The season happened differently than planned, but the Yankees won the pennant. No asterisk necessary.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    In 1981, the Yankees played just 107 regular season games. And the playoffs were definitely a crazy format that year, as they had pre-strike and post-strike leaders.

I don't consider the 1981 pennant to be meaningless. The season happened differently than planned, but the Yankees won the pennant. No asterisk necessary.
    Eh. The Yankees finished 4th overall in the AL East for the 1981 season. But won a trip to the PS because their 34-22 record was frozen in time. There's an asterisk next to that one.

That doesn't even get into the fact the Royals wound up in the PS despite a below .500 record for the season, and the two best teams in the National League (Cincinnati and St. Louis) weren't invited to the post season because the Cardinals 10 games over .500 and the Reds' 14 games over .500 weren't enough to finish in first place at the strike date.

That's got SPLAT written all over it.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Proof?
    I think you know already but a recent short list would include players like Ortiz, Arod, Clemens and Manny.
    Then again I'm sure there are fans who don't think PED
    Is cheating. I'm not one of them.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

That season is the poster child for meaningless no matter who came out on top. For those who can embrace it I say go for it.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    So all of sports is meaningless and tainted? Or just tainted?

As far as the outcome of a crazy format baseball season being meaningless, that's purely to the individuals discretion. If that's your personal opinion I'm not going to try to convince you that it should have meaning to you, you do you. I'll withhold judgement until I see it play out. As long as the players and teams are taking it seriously and the competition level is still there, I see no reason why I as a fan wouldn't be fully invested in the outcome. But I'm sure there will be a lot of differing opinions on this.
    Like you said, there be numerous views on the legitimacy of such a season. My view is it has multiple asterisks written all over it. What I do agree with it will be a welcome source of entertainment at a level above pro wrestling.

I think you know already but a recent short list would include players like Ortiz, Arod, Clemens and Manny.
    Then again I'm sure there are fans who don't think PED
    Is cheating. I'm not one of them.
    Anecdotal evidence does not prove 30 years of tainted championships in all sports.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If there are crowdless games, it’s just another TV show. Im not seeing the excitement factor,and I think you’re significantly overestimating it. Well have to see.
    I don't see how crowdless games are any worse than the ones we normally watch when they are played in Tampa or Miami.

NYYF MVP

Anecdotal evidence does not prove 30 years of tainted championships in all sports.
    I respect your position and can agree it has merit. Obviously there isn't definitive proof to back up my opinion. Nevertheless I feel strongly cheating and sports go hand In hand.
    What I most take exception with are players and fans tireless statements that they were robbed of a Championship because the other team cheated. Yet when confronted with proof their own team did the same the single biggest response is either denial or the team we beat had cheaters.
    If one believes as I do players using PED'S is a form of cheating then I'm hard pressed to single out a baseball team in recent memory that won legitimately. The same argument can be carried over to other sports as well.

NYYF Legend

I respect your position and can agree it has merit. Obviously there isn't definitive proof to back up my opinion. Nevertheless I feel strongly cheating and sports go hand In hand.
    What I most take exception with are players and fans tireless statements that they were robbed of a Championship because the other team cheated. Yet when confronted with proof their own team did the same the single biggest response is either denial or the team we beat had cheaters.
    If one believes as I do players using PED'S is a form of cheating then I'm hard pressed to single out a baseball team in recent memory that won legitimately. The same argument can be carried over to other sports as well.
    I recall hearing the same “everybody does it” argument from Boston fans after spygate, deflategate, Applewatchgate, and replaygate.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF MVP

I recall hearing the same “everybody does it” argument from Boston fans after spygate, deflategate, Applewatchgate, and replaygate.
    I'm sure you did. I heard it. It's laughable. I guess what I would like to see is just one teams players and fan base man up and stop whining.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

Are you saying that the Red Sox' last championship in the 20th century should have an asterisk?

Interestingly, the end of the war-shortened 140-game schedule that year (decided on by team owners before the season started) coincided with the second, most virulent wave of the flu pandemic. The regular season was over on September 2. The World Series ended on September 11. The Liberty Loan parade in Philadelphia that drew huge crowds and led to an explosion of lethal disease in that city was held on September 28, 1918. As scheduled, despite pleas by public health officials to cancel it.

Who knows? If the baseball season had played out in its usual 154-game length, plus the World Series, even more might have died.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Are you saying that the Red Sox' last championship in the 20th century should have an asterisk?

Interestingly, the end of the war-shortened 140-game schedule that year (decided on by team owners before the season started) coincided with the second, most virulent wave of the flu pandemic. The regular season was over on September 2. The World Series ended on September 11. The Liberty Loan parade in Philadelphia that drew huge crowds and led to an explosion of lethal disease in that city was held on September 28, 1918. As scheduled, despite pleas by public health officials to cancel it.

Who knows? If the baseball season had played out in its usual 154-game length, plus the World Series, even more might have died.
    There was almost no WS that year. Owners literally had to fight the federal government to alow them to play those extra games. Not like during WW II when the president wanted baseball to continue.

NYYF Cy Young

Here’s a great article about the 1918 season. How the flu and war led to the rise of Babe Ruth... who almost died, the cubs may have thrown the series, the implications towards the Spanish flu, etc. I kind of wish I knew all of this before 2004...

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-sp...63d982764.html

NYYF Legend

There is a book about the 1918 Cubs and the possible WS fix. It's called "The Original Curse" by Sean Deveney. Published in 2010.

Wants 2 be your latex salesman

Interestingly, the end of the war-shortened 140-game schedule that year
    126 games. The 140-game schedule was in 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    There was almost no WS that year. Owners literally had to fight the federal government to alow them to play those extra games. Not like during WW II when the president wanted baseball to continue.
    I think there was almost a player strike during the World Series as well, due to the paucity of the World Series shares. I think the loser's share was something like $750.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    There is a book about the 1918 Cubs and the possible WS fix. It's called "The Original Curse" by Sean Deveney. Published in 2010.
    I read it. Interesting read but weird. Not sure why the author decided to intentionally mix fiction with the historical research.
    Finalist in "Summarize Proust" competition, lost to the girl with the biggest ---

NYYF Legend

I agree. Did not understand why the author did that.

Thread Information