+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
    NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Re: Countdown to Opening Day

As long as there's a health threat, which we'll be living with for some time to come, trying to bang together a season completely in Arizona or some other unconventional empty stadium idea, it would be so compromised it's hard to get worked up about whatever the final outcome would be. Even if NYY ends up winning whatever version of a World Series comes out of this, it wouldn't rise to the same level as the previous 27. I just don't see this ending well.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    As long as there's a health threat, which we'll be living with for some time to come, trying to bang together a season completely in Arizona or some other unconventional empty stadium idea, it would be so compromised it's hard to get worked up about whatever the final outcome would be. Even if NYY ends up winning whatever version of a World Series comes out of this, it wouldn't rise to the same level as the previous 27. I just don't see this ending well.
    In total agreement. That type of format is an insult to the game. World Series would be meaningless. I'd rather watch reruns of real games.

Sounds to me like extended spring training. Nobody gets excited about spring training games.

NYYF MVP

Yeah, I get there might need to be changes, but it seems like they are trying to rush to get games in and not appreciating how that product might be unattractive to fans. This whole idea of "getting back to normalcy" doesn't work if they games are subpar and weird - it's just going to reinforce the situation.

NYYF Legend

Somehow, if I'm able to watch the Yankees play games in June, my world will be just a little bit better. Things might feel a little bit more normal.

I don't care what type of format or rules changes or health measures. I just want to see some Yankee baseball, and gosh darn it, I deserve it.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Every day I check up the "Strat-O-Matic" 2020 baseball season simulation. Pretty accurate so far. Yankees were swept 3 games at the Trop. At least nobody gets sick.

NYYF MVP

Just received an email from BroadwayDirect that under direction of Cuomo Broadway shows are suspended thru June 7th. Have to think the same or longer for Yanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    Just received an email from BroadwayDirect that under direction of Cuomo Broadway shows are suspended thru June 7th. Have to think the same or longer for Yanks.
    That would include Take Me Out, I presume.

Addicted Member

Any news on Judge's rib recuperation?
    Contrary to popular belief Eternity is not unending endlessness, it's repetitive.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    There are articles about this saying Broadway basically made up this date and people assume broadway shows won’t be reopening until at least July and maybe even Labor Day:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/t...ronavirus.html

At some point around then large groups will sort of have to reconvene so schools can reopen- I can’t imagine NY allowing kids to fall too far behind, not to mention they will need to take the Regents for what’s supposed to be this school year still.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    There are articles about this saying Broadway basically made up this date and people assume broadway shows wonít be reopening until at least July and maybe even Labor Day:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/t...ronavirus.html

At some point around then large groups will sort of have to reconvene so schools can reopen- I canít imagine NY allowing kids to fall too far behind, not to mention they will need to take the Regents for whatís supposed to be this school year still.
    Regents were cancelled for this year. Announced a few days ago.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Regents were cancelled for this year. Announced a few days ago.
    June ones. It’s my understanding the students still need to take the test either in August, January or some special impromptu time. That means teachers will need to prep them for it. Which means they really can’t focus on the next grade until they take the test... and who knows what it means for graduating seniors. Reason that is relevant here in this forum is at some point in either summer or September, the schools really will have to open up... which means largeish crowds. Schools open do not mean entertainment will be open, but it will be the start of something changing, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    June ones. Itís my understanding the students still need to take the test either in August, January or some special impromptu time. That means teachers will need to prep them for it. Which means they really canít focus on the next grade until they take the test... and who knows what it means for graduating seniors. Reason that is relevant here in this forum is at some point in either summer or September, the schools really will have to open up... which means largeish crowds. Schools open do not mean entertainment will be open, but it will be the start of something changing, IMO
    There might be a Regents exam in August for students who want to take it, i.e. it is not mandatory. Pennsylvania cancelled school for the rest its academic year yesterday. It is reasonable to assume NYS will do the same.

There are also rumblings that some colleges might start the academic year this fall with online classes.

NYYF Triple Crown

FYI. Now it's Arizona and Florida and not just Arizona. No National - American leagues (cactus and grapefruit), DH, kinda crazy. The one idea I like is the electronic strike zone. I don't have any idea anymore as to what will happen, even don't know if we should cancel the season.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/5128935002/

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    FYI. Now it's Arizona and Florida and not just Arizona. No National - American leagues (cactus and grapefruit), DH, kinda crazy. The one idea I like is the electronic strike zone. I don't have any idea anymore as to what will happen, even don't know if we should cancel the season.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/5128935002/
    Whatever recalibration they attempt at a regular season given these circumstances amounts to little more than an extended exhibition season. Hard to take whatever happens seriously.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I think this is key

Major League Baseball, assessing myriad proposals, has discussed a radical plan that would eliminate the traditional American and National Leagues for 2020, a high-ranking official told USA TODAY Sports, and realign all six divisions for an abbreviated season.
    They're still going through a lot of options. I can't blame them for considering everything at this point. We'll see what (if anything) they wind up with.

Whatever recalibration they attempt at a regular season given these circumstances amounts to little more than an extended exhibition season. Hard to take whatever happens seriously.
    We had seasons in the 1940s where a lot of players went off to fight in WW2, and the split 1981 season. If the season is well thought through and they can play enough games to make it meaningful, I suspect fans will get on board.

Pretty much agree.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

NYYF MVP

Unfortunately that's true. Any attempt to salvage the 2020 baseball season at this point would clearly be a money grab play by the owners. World Series rings would be replaced by plastic medallions. Let's keep the players and fans safe and hope there will be a 2021 season.

NYYF Legend

1916?
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    Unfortunately that's true. Any attempt to salvage the 2020 baseball season at this point would clearly be a money grab play by the owners. World Series rings would be replaced by plastic medallions. Let's keep the players and fans safe and hope there will be a 2021 season.
    Literally every moment in the history of baseball was a "money grab play by the owners". Baseball is a business, and money is why it exists.

I'll happily watch whatever format I can get to distract me from the crap we've been through these past several weeks.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Completely agree - letís call it what it really is: a half-baked cash grab that will fail miserably if it ever gets off the ground (and I seriously doubt it will).
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Literally every moment in the history of baseball was a "money grab play by the owners". Baseball is a business, and money is why it exists.

I'll happily watch whatever format I can get to distract me from the crap we've been through these past several weeks.
    I agree.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post

Perhaps they should just call it an exhibition. Try out the rules they have been experimenting with in the minors- the extra inning thing with runners on base, robo-umps, etc. That way more fans and major league players can give feedback on it. Let the “season” end with the all star game.

NYYF Cy Young

Looks like 2021 could be in jeopardy also.

Larger gatherings ó conferences, concerts, sporting events ó when people say theyíre going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think thatís a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically weíre talking fall 2021 at the earliest.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/m...my-debate.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bardos View Post
    Any news on Judge's rib recuperation?
    He will undergo fuether testing after the season starts.

Supposedly he is progressing well.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information