+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Legend

Re: Fun with John and Suzyn 2020 edition

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    Nothing will beat Howard Cosell stepping on the Chambliss HR call in 1976.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Importer-exporter

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    I don’t think it was that bad. He let Steiner say all he needed to, and it sounds like they did “The Yankees Win” as a duet.
    That's not how I took it at all, and I don't think that's how most people took it at the time. IIRC they were pretty well known not to get along very well personally. Sterling wants a second banana and Steiner wasn't a second banana.

It sounds to me like Sterling trying to insinuate himself into Steiner's moment and Steiner basically saying "Oh no you don't, you step on my call, I'll step on yours."
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    That's not how I took it at all, and I don't think that's how most people took it at the time. IIRC they were pretty well known not to get along very well personally. Sterling wants a second banana and Steiner wasn't a second banana.

It sounds to me like Sterling trying to insinuate himself into Steiner's moment and Steiner basically saying "Oh no you don't, you step on my call, I'll step on yours."
    Maybe so...I can see that. I have no argument really, I was living in California and watching on tv. I couldn’t listen to Yankees radio at the time and didn’t keep up with the Yankees broadcast drama.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Importer-exporter

Thou

Bumping. The dynamic duo return to action tonight for Yankees-Mets exhibition game. Not sure what the plans are. I heard one "report" on the radio that they will both be present at the venue but in separate booths.Thoughts? JL25'n'3 made a good suggestion I think that they should announce from their homes, given their ages and health history (recent history with John).

Edit: Not sure how the subject line turned to "Thou." But OK. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and "Thou."

Bumping. The dynamic duo return to action tonight for Yankees-Mets exhibition game. Not sure what the plans are. I heard one "report" on the radio that they will both be present at the venue but in separate booths.Thoughts? JL25'n'3 made a good suggestion I think that they should announce from their homes, given their ages and health history (recent history with John).

Edit: Not sure how the subject line turned to "Thou." But OK. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and "Thou."
    I’d add that broadcasting from home wouldn’t impede Jawn's ability to see the game accurately.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I like Sterling. Suzyn can go.

Whenever Sterling gets a decent partner when Waldman misses games he's much more engaged. Sterling has his foibles but Waldman doesn't help.
    This is true.

When Kay was John's partner, it was actually a pretty good call of the games. Kay seemed to be able to somewhat keep John focused on what is actually happening out there.

Importer-exporter

Jawn missed the game tonight, wasn't feeling well so Ricky Ricardo (LUCY! I'M HOME!) filled in. Reportedly not Covid-related which is a good thing. But he's 82, hope he's OK.

NYYF Legend

Jawn missed the game tonight, wasn't feeling well so Ricky Ricardo (LUCY! I'M HOME!) filled in. Reportedly not Covid-related which is a good thing. But he's 82, hope he's OK.
    82 and we are going through an oppressive heat wave in NYC. Good to hear it was not the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    This is true.

When Kay was John's partner, it was actually a pretty good call of the games. Kay seemed to be able to somewhat keep John focused on what is actually happening out there.
    When Kay and sterling were together John didn't do all the home run calls...he had Bernie Goes Boom and that was pretty much it. It got bad with Steiner and now he is, while entertaining, a horrible announcer if you have to rely on his game call

Props to Ricky Ricardo for complaining about a monitor in his first inning of work last night....he fits right in

NYYF Legend

Suzyn singing the anthem at the home opener.

Importer-exporter

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    When Kay and sterling were together John didn't do all the home run calls...he had Bernie Goes Boom and that was pretty much it.
    And The Bam-Tino I think.

Also, during the dynasty years, he didn't go "Thaaaaaaaa YANKEES WIN!" after every win, just after dramatic ones.

NYYF Legend

And The Bam-Tino I think.

Also, during the dynasty years, he didn't go "Thaaaaaaaa YANKEES WIN!" after every win, just after dramatic ones.
    He would say the Yankees win a lot quieter then he does now.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    She sounded great! A real pro!👍👍

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    She sounded great! A real pro!👍👍
    Yes, she did very well!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    She promised Cole!

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/suz...ational-anthem

NYYF Legend

Yes, she did very well!
    Yes, she was excellent.

Hard to believe but the ding dong that filled in for John is the worst. I never thought I’d say this. His “adios amigo” call is so stupid. He’s got worse quips than John. And the worst part is him talking over Suzyn and never giving her the chance to finish a thought or a story. I can’t believe this, but I missed John. I really dislike him but the fact that someone could be so horrible that it makes me want him back is astonishing.
    Make Orwell Fiction Again
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Hard to believe but the ding dong that filled in for John is the worst. I never thought I’d say this. His “adios amigo” call is so stupid. He’s got worse quips than John. And the worst part is him talking over Suzyn and never giving her the chance to finish a thought or a story. I can’t believe this, but I missed John. I really dislike him but the fact that someone could be so horrible that it makes me want him back is astonishing.
    Really? I think he is doing ok. If anything, I notice Suzyn talking a lot more, trying to explain things. She obviously still had a crush on MookieBetts. Also, today when Riccardo compared Cole to Clemens, I could almost picture Suzyn starting to daydream. And my favorite, she let out her famous “that ball should have been hit - and it was”. WTH does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    He's got the voice for the gig and honestly probably the chops, but he needs some polishing for sure. His little Ricardo-isms are not good. I like Sterling though. I know I'm in the minority.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    He's got the voice for the gig and honestly probably the chops, but he needs some polishing for sure. His little Ricardo-isms are not good. I like Sterling though. I know I'm in the minority.
    Good analysis. This is why I think he is doing “ok”.

Really? I think he is doing ok. If anything, I notice Suzyn talking a lot more, trying to explain things. She obviously still had a crush on MookieBetts. Also, today when Riccardo compared Cole to Clemens, I could almost picture Suzyn starting to daydream. And my favorite, she let out her famous “that ball should have been hit - and it was”. WTH does that mean?
    I feel like his little quips and catch phrases are worse than most of John’s. Judge being guilty of putting the Yankees ahead is probably the worst one. “Adios amigo” as a home run call is so lame. Lamer than nearly anything John has said. Its nothing major like his voice or anything. It’s a bunch of little things that made listening to these last two games so rough.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Yes. I agree. His play-by-play isn’t all that bad. It’s mostly the little catch phrases. They seem so forced.

In response to both of you, I feel like Suzyn should have been given the chance to do play by play. Is there a reason either of you are aware of that she’s not? All these years of being the sidekick. She’s earned it.
    Make Orwell Fiction Again
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Thread Information