+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2020 Injury Update thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    He may be needed more as a starter than originally thought. I wonder what back up veteran will be kept in case Sanchez misses significant time this year?
    I imagine Chris Ianetta is the backup plan.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Devoted Member

Sanchez has the flu. He'll be away from the team for a few days. He was not tesyted for CoronaVirus, however.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...ees-1.42717631

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Sanchez has the flu. He'll be away from the team for a few days. He was not tesyted for CoronaVirus, however.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...ees-1.42717631
    The Yankee medical staff is the perfect example for why they call it “practicing” medicine.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The Yankee medical staff is the perfect example for why they call it “practicing” medicine.
    Good Post - thanks

NYYF Triple Crown

FYI. (I don't know if this was discussed) I hope this works out. This was an interview with Boone yesterday.

Yankees manager Aaron Boone said in an interview on MLB Network Radio on Monday that he believes Aaron Judge (rib), James Paxton (back) and Giancarlo Stanton (calf) could all be ready to play once the season starts.
    We don't know when the season will start yet, of course, so this is all speculative at this point. However, we're looking at at least a mid- to late-May Opening Day at this point, so it's not a surprise that Boone believes Judge, Paxton and Stanton will all be ready by then. Of the three, Judge's timetable seems to be most up in the air.

RELATED: Giancarlo Stanton, James Paxton
    SOURCE: Bryan Hoch on Twitter
    Mar 16, 2020, 6:26 PM ET

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    FYI. (I don't know if this was discussed) I hope this works out. This was an interview with Boone yesterday.

Yankees manager Aaron Boone said in an interview on MLB Network Radio on Monday that he believes Aaron Judge (rib), James Paxton (back) and Giancarlo Stanton (calf) could all be ready to play once the season starts.
    We don't know when the season will start yet, of course, so this is all speculative at this point. However, we're looking at at least a mid- to late-May Opening Day at this point, so it's not a surprise that Boone believes Judge, Paxton and Stanton will all be ready by then. Of the three, Judge's timetable seems to be most up in the air.

RELATED: Giancarlo Stanton, James Paxton
    Mar 16, 2020, 6:26 PM ET
    Until they take some swings and run in the OF. Then its back to the IL.

Seriously though, IF the season doesnt start before June, German is going to be missing most the year.
    Derek Jeter - Mariano Rivera - Bernie Williams - Don Mattingly
    My Core Four Ive Seen in my Lifetime

NYYF Legend

@eboland11

Progress reports re Judge's right rib fracture:
    March 25 Boone said it was “still in the healing phase”

April 23 on YES Boone said of Judge: “He’s using this time to continue to heal."

Boone today on MLB Network Radio:"Hopefully this time down allows that rib to heal properly."
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    FYI. Looks like we wont know until training resumes.....

Surgery hasn't been ruled out as a possibility if there hasn't been sufficient healing. The slugger remains a significant wild card.

May 5, 2020, 2:13 PM ET

I know exactly how the Aaron judge injury situation is going to go. Baseball will start up July 1st, judge will go 1 for 12 with 7k's in his first 3 games. Game 4 he will strike out again to retire the side in the first. The game returns from a commercial break and Michael Kay goes well Clint Frazier has replaced Judge in right field we don't know what is the matter, we will have Jack curry working on a full report. After a couple of days of no response from the yankees, they will announce he will need season ending surgery and hope to be ready by sometimes in 2021.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    I know exactly how the Aaron judge injury situation is going to go. Baseball will start up July 1st, judge will go 1 for 12 with 7k's in his first 3 games. Game 4 he will strike out again to retire the side in the first. The game returns from a commercial break and Michael Kay goes well Clint Frazier has replaced Judge in right field we don't know what is the matter, we will have Jack curry working on a full report. After a couple of days of no response from the yankees, they will announce he will need season ending surgery and hope to be ready by sometimes in 2021.
    ^^ Most Discouraging Post of the Day ^^
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Nah. Rest and rehab through August where he will aggravate the injury forcing him to shut it down until 2021. Season ending surgery when he re-aggravates it two days after players arrive to Tampa.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Nah. Rest and rehab through August where he will aggravate the injury forcing him to shut it down until 2021. Season ending surgery when he re-aggravates it two days after players arrive to Tampa.
    Don't we all feel bad enough about missing baseball ... on top of everything ELSE ... without coming here and reading these kinds of posts?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Don't we all feel bad enough about missing baseball ... on top of everything ELSE ... without coming here and reading these kinds of posts?
    Its a joke, try not to take it too seriously... i mean honestly what else can a yankee fan do about their injury problems. Its just comical at this point. Sad but comical.

NYYF Triple Crown

Here's some good news.

James Paxton (back) has been throwing bullpen sessions.
    Paxton is nearly three months removed from a microscopic lumbar discectomy. The left-hander is fully expected to be ready to go whenever the season starts up. “James Paxton has done great,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Thursday, “feel really good about the decision to go ahead with the surgery. In every step of the way, it’s gone pretty smoothly for him. I think he threw his fifth bullpen the other day and continues to report that it’s going really well.”

SOURCE: NJ.com
    Apr 24, 2020, 9:01 AM ET

Judge is the only DL concern? I haven't seen bad news on Judge which is good news. I hope this works out because we don't want to see this surgery but I agree with the previous post we have to wait and see what happens. My post on the surgery was not meant to be negative just something we all knew. It was CP updating Boone.

Sevy having TJS this year bad? I don't think so.

My Big Good News with talk about June training and July season, 3 leagues, having the DH in both leagues, maybe computer strike zone.

I like to see any posts/news on baseball at this point.

NYYF Legend

https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-judge...-fractured-rib

Searching for silver linings in baseball’s pause due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Yankees have spoken frequently about the additional time that Aaron Judge has for his fractured right rib to heal. That doesn’t mean it has been easy to keep the slugger out of the batting cage.

Judge has spent the last two months continuing to work out at the George M. Steinbrenner Field facility, having undergone multiple imaging tests that are showing continued progress, according to general manager Brian Cashman. Hitting coach Marcus Thames said that Judge is eager to resume swinging a bat, which he has not done since early March.

“It's been tough,” Thames told the YES Network on Thursday. “He walks by the cage. He comes in to help the guys pick up balls, and he really wants to get going, but we’re just trying to stay safe. When the doctors turn him loose, he'll be ready to go. He's champing at the bit to get out there and start working hard on his swing.”
    “Once we resume play, we're excited to believe that he's going rejoin us at full capacity,” Cashman said last week.

Thames said that outfielder/designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton, who was sidelined during Spring Training due to a right calf strain, is expected to be ready when the season begins.

“He's been looking good,” Thames said of Stanton. “I think his swing is where it needs to be. We've been hitting off the machine and hitting BP on the field. He's a pro. He comes in and gets his work in and we’re trying to make sure he's healthy and ready to go. I think his teammates are excited about that.”

The group of Yankees continuing to work out at Steinbrenner Field has included rehabbing players in Judge, Stanton and right-hander Luis Severino, plus infielders Miguel Andújar, Mike Ford, DJ LeMahieu, Gleyber Torres and Tyler Wade. Left-hander J.A. Happ has also used the complex since Florida’s Hillsborough County lifted its stay-at-home order in late April.

NYYF Legend

Thanks for this update. I'm hoping we get to see these guys play by this time next month.

Over/Under on how many starting position players are on the IL by "Opening Day": 2

(Aaron Hicks doesn't count - I'm assuming he's out until August)
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Devoted Member

Recent news stories suggest that Paxton is coming along fine, that Stanton's injury is a thing of the past, and that even Hicks may be a beneficiary of the delayed start of the season.

When it comes to press reports on Judge, however, I get the impression of a continuing nagging concern. CT signs of healing, yes, but still some residual hesitation in saying the coast is clear for Judge.

This season--or what's left of it--has always seemed to be a very big deal for Judge. If there were to be a third consecutive season with injury problems that kept him from the kinds of numbers we were hoping to see from him, it would not only pose a problem for the team but, financially perhaps, a problem for Judge, as free agency begins to appear on his radar screen

Some sportswriter (https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...~automatedpage) recently was recalling how often Mickey Mantle was injured. True enough. But Mantle also managed some spectacular seasons as well, including tremendous HR numbers in the World Series. In the ten seasons from 1952 through 1961, those 154-game seasons, he played an average of 146 games / season, with 365 hrs and a shade under 1000 rbi's. Cashman recently called Judge a "superstar." I dunno. There was that one undeniably super-starish season, but he's still not quite of that calibre. Just below, in my opinion, but, still, below.

NYYF Legend

Yeah, I guess the best thing about Judge is he is must-see. What a big guy and a humble personality to watch. That "superstar" season still makes me salivate as I look forward to what lies ahead.

Hey, at least he's had a better Yankee career than Greg Bird, maybe even Gary Sanchez and Luis Severino.

any updates on the injuries?

Update: it looks like judge and hicks both expected to play by late July.

https://yanksgoyard.com/2020/06/23/y...y-aaron-hicks/

I am not holding my breath though.

NYYF Legend

^ Hicks is in line to become "the first MLB player to ever miss zero games following Tommy John [surgery]"! That calls for a HICK'S!

NYYF Legend

^ Hicks is in line to become "the first MLB player to ever miss zero games following Tommy John [surgery]"! That calls for a HICK'S!
    lol nice future trivia question

NYYF Legend

Carl Pavano to start season on IL.

That is pretty crazy lol. I was so upset last year that he waited till after the season for the surgery. It made very little sense to me.

NYYF Legend

Thank you -tz for your major contributions to this site over the last so many years.

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/news...m_term=WFAN-AM

Seems like judge might be able to go opening day. Stanton could be the dh, and Paxton looks to be in the best out of the 3. Amazing how much time these guys would of missed if it was a full season. Itd like the Yankees need 2 rosters.

Thread Information