+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1608
  1. #1
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    2020 Spring Training

    Various video I haven't seen before:
    https://www.mlb.com/yankees/video

    Tanaka discussing Cole and his offseason:
    https://www.mlb.com/yankees/video/ta...47-default-vtp
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    OMGGGGGGGG....Mike Fooooooord.

    https://www.mlb.com/yankees/video/fo...47-default-vtp

    I love what he says there about his success being SSS and anyone can be good in 160 PAs. Smart Cookie. Don't mess this up Cashman.

    Love his height too. Only listed 6 feet. Might be smaller than that.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  3. #3
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Taking my 4th annual trip to ST this year. 3/1-3/3. It never gets old.

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    I like this a lot, and am actually shocked that the Yankees figured out Gary's problem last year and got a coach to correct it immediately:

    “The elite pitch framers in our game are impacting the game in a huge way, so the question is: How do we do that really well without sacrificing the other skills that are also critical to the catcher position? That’s the summary.”

    The Yankees identified immediately that Swanson was able to approach the role without the biases and habits that lifelong catchers can bring to the position. To him, there is no “this is how we’ve always done it.” Instead, it’s “how can we do better going forward?” In an industry where experience once was everything, the Yankees are raving about their new coach’s ability to see beyond convention.

    “The traditional teach was, ‘Let’s learn how to be good receivers from our block and throw stance,’” Swanson explained. “The reality is that nobody really does that. It’s a noble pursuit, but it’s not real. I think we’ve had the problem backwards in a lot of ways. Instead of teaching catchers to be receivers from their best block and throw stances, let’s teach them how to be good blockers and throwers out of their best receiving stance. It’s a similar problem, we’ve just looked at it differently.”
    https://theathletic.com/1428419/2019...ching-program/
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    OMGGGGGGGG....Mike Fooooooord.

    https://www.mlb.com/yankees/video/fo...47-default-vtp

    I love what he says there about his success being SSS and anyone can be good in 160 PAs. Smart Cookie. Don't mess this up Cashman.

    Love his height too. Only listed 6 feet. Might be smaller than that.
    https://viewsfrom314ft.com/mike-ford...the-real-deal/

    some pretty good info here. I'd love to see both Ford & Voit get 400 ABs each. They should produce some strong numbers combined.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  6. #6

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Wearing my rose-colored optimistic Yankee fan glasses, I will totally sign up for a "problem" with Voit and Ford both mashing and the Yankees having trouble trying to get both guys in the lineup and forced to 1B/DH them. As a result Stanton is forced back on LF, and by being on the field returns to his 2017 form. Even better if those three do very well along with Urshela being solid enough that they can realistically option Andujar to AAA to gain another year of control and build back value to be traded.

    On a completely random note, even without Dellin as of right now the bullpen locks are the top 5 of Chapman, Britton, Ottavino, Kahlne, Green. That leaves three spots for the loser of the 5th starter completition to slide into? As of right now I'm expecting Happ/Monty to be the 4/5 starter and Deivi/King goes back to AAA simply because Deivi still should get seasoning without being rushed, and King probably needs to build back his innings and be kept stretched out to be a spot starter when needed. I'm guessing that unless he absolutely blows it in ST, after last season's solid enough work Cessa gets first dibs in the bullpen and possibly Loaisiga, but who else are likely candidates for the last spots of the bullpen?

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    He also made some changes this winter looking toward this battle. Ford dropped some weight and focused on flexibility and conditioning this winter.

    “It was the focus of the offseason to get my body right,” Ford said. “I am at where I want to be. A little less lifting and more cardio.”
    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...yxm-story.html
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  8. #8
    Death Star Fully Operational
    Join Date
    Jan 2004

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Aaron Boone's press conference on YES at 1:30 p.m. today.

  9. #9
    Death Star Fully Operational
    Join Date
    Jan 2004

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Wearing my rose-colored optimistic Yankee fan glasses, I will totally sign up for a "problem" with Voit and Ford both mashing and the Yankees having trouble trying to get both guys in the lineup and forced to 1B/DH them. As a result Stanton is forced back on LF, and by being on the field returns to his 2017 form. Even better if those three do very well along with Urshela being solid enough that they can realistically option Andujar to AAA to gain another year of control and build back value to be traded.

    On a completely random note, even without Dellin as of right now the bullpen locks are the top 5 of Chapman, Britton, Ottavino, Kahlne, Green. That leaves three spots for the loser of the 5th starter completition to slide into? As of right now I'm expecting Happ/Monty to be the 4/5 starter and Deivi/King goes back to AAA simply because Deivi still should get seasoning without being rushed, and King probably needs to build back his innings and be kept stretched out to be a spot starter when needed. I'm guessing that unless he absolutely blows it in ST, after last season's solid enough work Cessa gets first dibs in the bullpen and possibly Loaisiga, but who else are likely candidates for the last spots of the bullpen?
    Doing so isn't the norm around here. Many posters love to swim in pessimism.

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Doing so isn't the norm around here. Many posters love to swim in pessimism.
    Spring (Training) is the time for new hope, new life, new ambitions. Anyone who can't be optimistic about this team this spring really aught to re-evaluate the reasons why they watch ballgames everyday.

    Personal storylines are everywhere, players are competing for jobs and playing time, and everyone's in the best shapes of their lives (hahaha).

    In the Yankee clubhouse the hunger to win will be the mantra, with Boone leading his savages right up to opening day.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    43 days from New Year's Day, 43 days to Opening Day. No countdown thread this year?

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  13. #13
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    OMGGGGGGGG....Mike Fooooooord.

    https://www.mlb.com/yankees/video/fo...47-default-vtp

    I love what he says there about his success being SSS and anyone can be good in 160 PAs. Smart Cookie. Don't mess this up Cashman.

    Love his height too. Only listed 6 feet. Might be smaller than that.
    SSS or not, to me he seemed unsure or over-matched in a much less percentage of his at-bats than Voit did. Should be an interesting battle but I like Ford's chances at getting the bulk of the at-bats.
    Let the kids play.

  14. #14
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Bryan Hoch

    @BryanHoch
    Here’s your list of #Yankees spring guest instructors:

    Alfonso Soriano
    Stump Merrill
    Lee Mazzilli
    Tino Martinez
    Willie Randolph
    Nick Swisher
    Mariano Rivera
    Reggie Jackson
    Andy Pettitte
    Ron Guidry
    CC Sabathia
    Bernie Williams
    Hideki Matsui
    Stump!
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    SSS or not, to me he seemed unsure or over-matched in a much less percentage of his at-bats than Voit did. Should be an interesting battle but I like Ford's chances at getting the bulk of the at-bats.
    There should be no reason to choose. Both Voit and Ford are potentially great hitters. Ford 1B and Voit DH.

    Stanton must play LF @ 30 yrs old. Also, as I mentioned before, pretty much all his injuries have come at the plate or running the bases. DH'ing isn't going to keep him anymore healthy.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  16. #16
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Andy Martino @martinonyc 25m
    Was Altuve wearing a buzzer? Gary Sanchez: “I don’t know , but I can tell you if I hit a HR to get my team to the World Series, they can rip off my pants.”
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Andy Martino @martinonyc 25m
    Was Altuve wearing a buzzer? Gary Sanchez: “I don’t know , but I can tell you if I hit a HR to get my team to the World Series, they can rip off my pants.”
    Lol nice quote by Gary. "We don't need no stinkin' buzzers!"
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  18. #18
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Andy Martino @martinonyc 25m
    Was Altuve wearing a buzzer? Gary Sanchez: “I don’t know , but I can tell you if I hit a HR to get my team to the World Series, they can rip off my pants.”
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Pretty interesting signing:

    @Yankees
    The Yankees today announced they have signed RHP Tony Zych to a minor league contract with an invitation to Major League spring training. Zych will wear #62.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  20. #20
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Pretty interesting signing:
    Is there a backstory being reported? I see he has not pitched since 2017, and I know he had shoulder and elbow issues. Has he simply been recovering the last two years?

    EDIT: the fact that the Cubs took $1 instead of a player for him is also interesting.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Pretty interesting signing:
    Intreresting how? Alphabetically the last Yankee in the Yankee almanac?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  22. #22

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    There should be no reason to choose. Both Voit and Ford are potentially great hitters. Ford 1B and Voit DH.

    Stanton must play LF @ 30 yrs old. Also, as I mentioned before, pretty much all his injuries have come at the plate or running the bases. DH'ing isn't going to keep him anymore healthy.
    Yea plenty of playing time for everyone, but Stanton has got to play mostly LF (or RF) and very little DH unless injuries or ineffectiveness (or effectiveness) of other players make that an easy call. There’s little to no dropoff from Stanton to Voit/Ford/Andujar offensively against RHP so you can give Stanton ~2 full days off per week to start and use full rest days which I have to imagine are more than twice the rest that DH days are for an OF.

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Intreresting how? Alphabetically the last Yankee in the Yankee almanac?
    Stuff (elite horizonal movement) and K rates.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  24. #24
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Stuff (elite horizonal movement) and K rates.
    Ah. MiLB deal so not a bad signing. Though he's 29 and hasn't pitched in 2 years. Seems more like a flier than a guy to count on. But I guess you can never have too much depth.
    I guess he'll be investing in a razor.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  25. #25
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Intreresting how? Alphabetically the last Yankee in the Yankee almanac?
    Yes. After Paul Zuvella.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 8 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 6 guests)

  1. False1
  2. Mixwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts