+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 15 55 62 63 64 65 66 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1646
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: 2020 Spring Training

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Ugh, dumb. They have to realize that even when these restrictions are lifted people aren't going to rushing out to buy tickets to games. I hope they flex to something more creative, so there can be a season. There's a lot of people that want to watch from the safety of their homes.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2020/...onavirus-mlbpa

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...n-of-play.html
    Additionally, all players will receive a years’ worth of service time, meaning that impending free agents such as Masahiro Tanaka, James Paxton, and DJ LeMahieu will become free agents as expected.

Wow, that sucks for teams like the Yankees who are in the peak of their youth/cost controlled movement. Sucks for the Dodgers too. Great for the Sox. Wow, can't believe they're all going to get a year of service time.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

That's got to be like that Aaron Hicks photo or it's shopped.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    That's got to be like that Aaron Hicks photo or it's shopped.
    They say Chapman is the most athletic guy on the team. He's massive.

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    They say Chapman is the most athletic guy on the team. He's massive.
    I don't think that was what he was saying was shopped. It's that he's not drenched in sweat.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    "Couldn't be bothered"? He had a bleeding abscess on his hip.

And when he played with that hip, it was not unusual to see blood on the uniform. That "couldn't be bothered" was, to put it mildly, uninformed.

Love it they are playing cards but need to practice that of social distancing!
    Let This Virus Pass

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Additionally, all players will receive a years’ worth of service time, meaning that impending free agents such as Masahiro Tanaka, James Paxton, and DJ LeMahieu will become free agents as expected.

Wow, that sucks for teams like the Yankees who are in the peak of their youth/cost controlled movement. Sucks for the Dodgers too. Great for the Sox. Wow, can't believe they're all going to get a year of service time.
    Yeah, this would suck for contenders like the Yankees and Dodgers.

NYYF Legend

Since there is literally nothing else Yankee-related to talk about these days...I watched the Guidry 18 strikeout game on MLB Network last night. Three observations:

1. Guidry was absolutely filthy that night. The late movement on his slider was insane and he was never in the middle of the plate. The hitters had no chance.

2. I was struck by the number of hitters who were choking up on the bat. That seems to be a lost art. Ironically though it didn't help. Very few Angels hitters were up there looking to hit a HR yet Guidry managed to fan 18 of them.

3. I was also surprised by fan attire. Most fans seemed to be dressed in collared shirts. I did not notice anyone wearing Yankees jerseys, t-shirts, or even caps. The amount of money MLB must be making in merchandising in this era relative to 1978 must be staggering.

/cool story bro
    //what else are we supposed to discuss?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Since there is literally nothing else Yankee-related to talk about these days...I watched the Guidry 18 strikeout game on MLB Network last night. Three observations:

1. Guidry was absolutely filthy that night. The late movement on his slider was insane and he was never in the middle of the plate. The hitters had no chance.

2. I was struck by the number of hitters who were choking up on the bat. That seems to be a lost art. Ironically though it didn't help. Very few Angels hitters were up there looking to hit a HR yet Guidry managed to fan 18 of them.

3. I was also surprised by fan attire. Most fans seemed to be dressed in collared shirts. I did not notice anyone wearing Yankees jerseys, t-shirts, or even caps. The amount of money MLB must be making in merchandising in this era relative to 1978 must be staggering.

/cool story bro
    Sounds crazy now but back in the 70s you could only buy a Yankees road jersey. The home pinstripes were not alowed to be sold.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Sounds crazy now but back in the 70s you could only buy a Yankees road jersey. The home pinstripes were not alowed to be sold.
    Wow, I never knew that. Crazy how much the sports marketing world has changed since then. Now they are literally inventing reasons to wear alternate jerseys so that they can sell them to us.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Wow, I never knew that. Crazy how much the sports marketing world has changed since then. Now they are literally inventing reasons to wear alternate jerseys so that they can sell them to us.
    Get your official spring training home game Wednesday jersey. Today on seal for 110% of suggested retail price.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Get your official spring training home game Wednesday jersey. Today on seal for 110% of suggested retail price.
    I should hope it is sealed.

Though I would rather have the spring training road jersey for March 12. That was the last game they ever played.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I should hope it is sealed.

Though I would rather have the spring training road jersey for March 12. That was the last game they ever played.
    Those will go to an auction house to maximize the profits.

NYYF Legend

The arrogance..
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post

The arrogance..
    I would guess back then George only wanted his actual players to wear the pinstripes.

Wants 2 be your latex salesman

/cool story bro
    What I thought was cool was that they used the WINS radio feed, with station IDs, news break-ins and everything. Good to know Jimmy Carter made it back from Panama safely.
    Finalist in "Summarize Proust" competition, lost to the girl with the biggest ---

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    What I thought was cool was that they used the WINS radio feed, with station IDs, news break-ins and everything. Good to know Jimmy Carter made it back from Panama safely.
    Back in the early 90s Yankees sold VHS tapes of 3 different TV games. The Guidry game, Bucky Dent game and the Righetti no hitter. All three games were the TV picture but the radio feed for the soundtrack.

Back in the early 90s Yankees sold VHS tapes of 3 different TV games. The Guidry game, Bucky Dent game and the Righetti no hitter. All three games were the TV picture but the radio feed for the soundtrack.
    "Back in the '90s, I was in a very famous TV show (Ooh)"

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    "Back in the '90s, I was in a very famous TV show (Ooh)"
    Don't get many Bojack references. Fully approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Don't get many Bojack references. Fully approve.
    Thank you for noticing.

NYYF MVP

I would guess back then George only wanted his actual players to wear the pinstripes.
    Yea it's possible. Why, who knows. It's not like the Yankees were the first team to ever wear pinstripes.

Addicted Member

/cool story bro

Somewhere I have a tape (probably a vhs of a kinescope) of the 6th or 7th game of the 1952 World Series, Yanks vs Dodgers. The men in the crowd are well dressed. Hats, ties, some overcoats (a chilly day?). Entirely different from the contemporary look--whether they be dressed in MLB paraphernalia or other forms of caz attire. Some think the change has been all for the better. Loosen us all up, etc. Mebbe yez, mebbe no.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Somewhere I have a tape (probably a vhs of a kinescope) of the 6th or 7th game of the 1952 World Series, Yanks vs Dodgers. The men in the crowd are well dressed. Hats, ties, some overcoats (a chilly day?). Entirely different from the contemporary look--whether they be dressed in MLB paraphernalia or other forms of caz attire. Some think the change has been all for the better. Loosen us all up, etc. Mebbe yez, mebbe no.
    You can google the full game 7.

Pretty good picture....I was amazed to see starting pitchers warming up on either side of the batter's box before the game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    You can google the full game 7.

Pretty good picture....I was amazed to see starting pitchers warming up on either side of the batter's box before the game.
    You can also Google the full game 6. Thru the 50s the starting pitchers warmed up around home plate. I have several games from the 57 WS in my collection and pre game that's where the starting pitchers warmed up at Yankee Stadium.

Thread Information