+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1646

Re: 2020 Spring Training

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    When someone says, 'It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing', it's the money.'

I get it. You are full throttle trying to justify your earlier over the top comment.
    Wrong again. I don't feel any need to justify anything.

NYYF Legend

@ByKristieAckert

Aaron Judge is still healing the rib...#Yankees Boone says the collapsed lung dates back to potentially happening with the dive in Sept. "Hard to know for sure."
    Wait so...the Yankees doctors who examined Judge after the dive missed a cracked rib AND a collapsed lung.

I'm not even mad anymore, that's impressive.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Right. Not saying this surgery isn’t important, but if someone can’t walk and has to wait a year to get a new knee how do you deny him but let someone who can function normally have TJS so he can play a game, just because he can make millions? Does elective surgery favor the rich? I don’t know the answers but these are fair questions.
    Obviously elective surgery favors the rich. Even Lt. Dan couldn't get fixed up until he invested in Apple.
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

Routinely wishing bad mojo on the Bruins.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Wait so...the Yankees doctors who examined Judge after the dive missed a cracked rib AND a collapsed lung.

I'm not even mad anymore, that's impressive.
    Hang on... Is that even possible? How does Judge go from September to February with a collapsed lung and not seek medical attention?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Hang on... Is that even possible? How does Judge go from September to February with a collapsed lung and not seek medical attention?
    Maybe he did seek medical attention from the crack Yankees medical staff.

Latest discussions from MLB and MLPA have me feeling more optimistic that a season will happen if possible. It seems MLB is already willing to commit to full salaries and service time in most situations if no games happen. That means owners are going to be even more motivated to make the season happen.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/sta...27392362057728

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Latest discussions from MLB and MLPA have me feeling more optimistic that a season will happen if possible. It seems MLB is already willing to commit to full salaries and service time in most situations if no games happen. That means owners are going to be even more motivated to make the season happen.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/sta...27392362057728
    Seems to me the commissioner might step in and void all off-season trades if they're going to move service time forward even in the event of no season being played.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    How did Nolan Ryan avoid it?

Or Feller, or Walter Johnson, or Lefty Grove, or....

"But they didn't throw as hard back then," someone says. How would we know? There were no measuring devices on pitchers, and we weren't there to to observe them for ourselves.

There was that strange device (Navy?) that alleged Feller to have once thrown at 98.6 mph., but it was pretty primitive by today's standards.

Can't recall whether Randy Johnson had TJS

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Seems to me the commissioner might step in and void all off-season trades if they're going to move service time forward even in the event of no season being played.
    I doubt it. Other teams will argue that they structured other signings and moves off of having budget or roster positions that those trades opened up. There’s no fair resolution if a season doesn’t happen which is why I’m fairly certain that unless the situation doesn’t reasonably allow for it a season is happening. In the event of no season though all trades are final, perhaps they’ll award comp picks or international money for teams that get the raw end of that deal. But no trades are getting voided.

NYYF Legend

I doubt it. Other teams will argue that they structured other signings and moves off of having budget or roster positions that those trades opened up. There’s no fair resolution if a season doesn’t happen which is why I’m fairly certain that unless the situation doesn’t reasonably allow for it a season is happening. In the event of no season though all trades are final, perhaps they’ll award comp picks or international money for teams that get the raw end of that deal. But no trades are getting voided.
    Yeah I'm not seeing that as a convincing argument, not when Bowie Kuhn blew up Charlie Finley's fire sale back in '76 using the seldom-used Best interests of Baseball clause.

I'm using the Dodgers as an example here, but they gave up some decent prospects and are on the hook for something like $25m to pay a guy who didn't play for them, because the sport did not happen.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Or Feller, or Walter Johnson, or Lefty Grove, or....

"But they didn't throw as hard back then," someone says. How would we know? There were no measuring devices on pitchers, and we weren't there to to observe them for ourselves.

There was that strange device (Navy?) that alleged Feller to have once thrown at 98.6 mph., but it was pretty primitive by today's standards.

Can't recall whether Randy Johnson had TJS
    Which is why I mentioned Ryan. Most of us saw him pitch. Unlike Walter Johnson or Feller.

Yeah I'm not seeing that as a convincing argument, not when Bowie Kuhn blew up Charlie Finley's fire sale back in '76 using the seldom-used Best interests of Baseball clause.

I'm using the Dodgers as an example here, but they gave up some decent prospects and are on the hook for something like $25m to pay a guy who didn't play for them, because the sport did not happen.
    Perhaps, but I still don’t see it too much time has passed. And again I’m expecting a season to happen.

Meanwhile, back in training camp : https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=spartandhp
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

NYYF Legend

Perhaps, but I still don’t see it too much time has passed. And again I’m expecting a season to happen.
    Unless they’re willing to play baseball in empty parks, I can’t see them starting it back up without a reliable treatment or a vaccine in place.

NYYF Legend

Unless they’re willing to play baseball in empty parks, I can’t see them starting it back up without a reliable treatment or a vaccine in place.
    This. I would be pleasantly surprised to see any baseball in 2020.

I'm really hoping the nurses in Alabama assisting with "Thor"'s surgery today make it through comfortably.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/worker...m-coronavirus/

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    I'm really hoping the nurses in Alabama assisting with "Thor"'s surgery today make it through comfortably.

Actually, I've read he's getting it performed at West Palm Beach.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Tanaka is a throw back of sorts.

If he wasnt, he would have gotten TJS years ago.

If the elbow isnt completely blown out, you dont need TJS. Most get the surgery to be proactive. That is my understanding anyways. And thats why the number of TJS are way up. Back in the day there were more Tanakas.
    Derek Jeter - Mariano Rivera - Bernie Williams - Don Mattingly
    My Core Four Ive Seen in my Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Actually, I've read he's getting it performed at West Palm Beach.
    I mentioned Bama because that’s where Dr. Andrew’s practice is located.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

The shortage of hospital equipment may be due to selfishness and greed. If that is the case no amount of supplies will be enough.

The nurse also said various items, including masks, wipes and Purell hand sanitizer, began “disappearing through the night.”
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF MVP

The shortage of hospital equipment may be due to selfishness and greed. If that is the case no amount of supplies will be enough.

It's not due to selfishness - we don't have enough equipment or supplies - that's well documented and a failure on our part. Some in the hospitals may be putting themselves ahead of others, but we've put these folks in a awful position.

It's not due to selfishness - we don't have enough equipment or supplies - that's well documented and a failure on our part. Some in the hospitals may be putting themselves ahead of others, but we've put these folks in a awful position.
    Actually, you contradicted yourself.

According to the article above the shortage of protective gear is due, at least in part, to theft (mismanagement). That doesn’t even account for selfish individuals who hoarded face masks.

NYYF MVP

Actually, you contradicted yourself.

According to the article above the shortage of protective gear is due, at least in part, to theft (mismanagement). That doesn’t even account for selfish individuals who hoarded face masks.
    No, my point is that it is well-documented that our country is poorly prepared for this situation. Healthcare workers, in general, are in horrible position because we don't have enough supplies. If this is resulting in poor behavior within hospitals (or if there is theft from outside), that's obviously an issue, but the larger issue is not due to mismanagement at the hospital level.

No, my point is that it is well-documented that our country is poorly prepared for this situation. Healthcare workers, in general, are in horrible position because we don't have enough supplies. If this is resulting in poor behavior within hospitals (or if there is theft from outside), that's obviously an issue, but the larger issue is not due to mismanagement at the hospital level.
    No country is prepared for this type of outbreak nor could they ever be.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Tanaka is a throw back of sorts.

If he wasnt, he would have gotten TJS years ago.

If the elbow isnt completely blown out, you dont need TJS. Most get the surgery to be proactive. That is my understanding anyways. And thats why the number of TJS are way up. Back in the day there were more Tanakas.
    I don't disagree about Tanaka being a throwback. But I also believe it goes deeper than that. Pitchers these days throw much harder than they used to, and they're encourage to give it all they have for five or six innings and let the pen take it from there. Years ago, pitchers paced themselves differently and frequently completed a full nine innings. In some cases even went into extras. Rarely if ever do we see that anymore with pitchers regularly flinging it in the high 90s and low 100s on virtually every pitch. My earliest baseball memories date back to the 60s, and there just weren't anywhere near the number of pitchers who either required TJS or threw nearly as hard as they do these days.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Thread Information