+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12 52 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1646
  1. #1526
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    All elective surgery means is that the surgery can be scheduled in advance (without it being a life-threatening condition).

    TJS is an elective surgery.
    On the other hand - Shot in the face surgery is not normally elective.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

  2. #1527
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    On the other hand - Shot in the face surgery is not normally elective.
    You're not going to let this go, are you ?
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

  3. #1528
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    You're not going to let this go, are you ?
    It's what I do.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

  4. #1529
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    It's what I do.
    Yes, I've noticed that over the last 18 years.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

  5. #1530
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Yes, I've noticed that over the last 18 years.
    I try to be consistent.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

  6. #1531
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I try to be consistent.
    Always a good thing. Its nice to be able to count on some things in these trying times.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

  7. #1532
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Okay. So, how long can you wait to put off TJS before its too late, or doesn't matter ?
    Depends how busy the doctor's office is.

    Seriously though it makes no difference.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

  8. #1533
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Depends how busy the doctor's office is.

    Seriously though it makes no difference.
    Ok, I really was curious as to how long he could go before getting it done.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

  9. #1534
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    On the other hand - Shot in the face surgery is not normally elective.
    Excellent observation.

    Semi-elective surgery is similar to elective surgery in that it can be scheduled in advance *AND* it will save the patient's life.

    Urgent surgery is where surgery is necessary to preserve the patient's life, but the patient must stabilize first...

    And then emergency surgery is surgery that must be performed without delay in order to prevent death or permanent disability.

    It really boils down to where the bullet entered his face. Like, cheek and blew apart his jaw? Yeah...You're looking at stabilizing the patient first, assuming the bullet exited the other cheek. However, if the guy was yawning, and was shot in the cheek, missed his tongue and all his teeth, and then exited the other cheek? We're talking stitches, and then an appointment with a cosmetic surgeon.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

  10. #1535
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Ok, I really was curious as to how long he could go before getting it done.
    I think it's really only a question of whether or not he wants to remain an athlete (pitch again).
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

  11. #1536
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    All elective surgery means is that the surgery can be scheduled in advance (without it being a life-threatening condition).

    TJS is an elective surgery.
    Right. Not saying this surgery isn’t important, but if someone can’t walk and has to wait a year to get a new knee how do you deny him but let someone who can function normally have TJS so he can play a game, just because he can make millions? Does elective surgery favor the rich? I don’t know the answers but these are fair questions.
    Let the kids play.

  12. #1537
    Death Star Fully Operational
    Join Date
    Jan 2004

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Right. Not saying this surgery isn’t important, but if someone can’t walk and has to wait a year to get a new knee how do you deny him but let someone who can function normally have TJS so he can play a game, just because he can make millions? Does elective surgery favor the rich? I don’t know the answers but these are fair questions.
    Of course it does and it's the same reason why sports teams can test their players while the general public has to wait to get tested for this virus.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

  13. #1538
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Lives on the ocean

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Syndergaard having his surgery on Thursday. I wonder if he's going to get shot in the face?
    Only if someone tells Mixwell.

  14. #1539
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Right. Not saying this surgery isn’t important, but if someone can’t walk and has to wait a year to get a new knee how do you deny him but let someone who can function normally have TJS so he can play a game, just because he can make millions? Does elective surgery favor the rich? I don’t know the answers but these are fair questions.
    Dunno, but I'm sure he does not see it merely as a game, but as the way he earns his living, no matter the pay scale. I was a professional musician ( bass ) for 40 years. If something happened to my hands, preventing me from performing and surgery would fix it, you can bet your ass I would get it done asap.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=spartandhp
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

  15. #1540
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Okay. So, how long can you wait to put off TJS before its too late, or doesn't matter ?
    If the arm has fallen off, it's too late.

    If baseball is never played again on this planet ever, it doesn't matter.

  16. #1541
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Dunno, but I'm sure he does not see it merely as a game, but as the way he earns his living, no matter the pay scale. I was a professional musician ( bass ) for 40 years. If something happened to my hands, preventing me from performing and surgery would fix it, you can bet your ass I would get it done asap.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=spartandhp
    You have to understand that the reason people are upset is that sets a precedent: the privileged to be seen now, and the rest some other time. And you placing your livelihood over the good of mankind (United States) pushes you into the privileged category. Basically, you were supposed to say, "OK, I'll take a government check for the next several months until I can get my hand worked on."
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

  17. #1542

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    Only if someone tells Mixwell.
    I saw. It's absolutely infuriating.

    I don't care what the policies are. If you're a decent human being, you should at least have pause as to proceeding with surgery right now that in the grand scheme of things is completely meaningless. Hospitals are short staffed and under-supplied. People aren't just dying. They are dying excruciating, slow deaths. No one's elbow should be on anyone's radar whatsoever.

    Any player that chooses to proceed now is going to be worthy of disdain 1000 times more than any cheating Astro or steroid user ever got.

  18. #1543

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    This situation is just so complicated in every facet now a days.

    Elective surgeries...

    Paid time off for MLB players vs Civilians living paycheck to paycheck...

    Service time is a huge issue sports will need to figure out...

    Its one big clusterf....
    Derek Jeter - Mariano Rivera - Bernie Williams - Don Mattingly
    My Core Four Ive Seen in my Lifetime

  19. #1544

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    I saw. It's absolutely infuriating.

    I don't care what the policies are. If you're a decent human being, you should at least have pause as to proceeding with surgery right now that in the grand scheme of things is completely meaningless. Hospitals are short staffed and under-supplied. People aren't just dying. They are dying excruciating, slow deaths. No one's elbow should be on anyone's radar whatsoever.

    Any player that chooses to proceed now is going to be worthy of disdain 1000 times more than any cheating Astro or steroid user ever got.
    Ball players having TJS are likely having the procedure done at private orthopedic clinics that may have little or no shared resources with hospitals treating covid patients. IMO your outrage is unfounded.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  20. #1545

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Ball players having TJS are likely having the procedure done at private orthopedic clinics that may have little or no shared resources with hospitals treating covid patients. IMO your outrage is unfounded.
    You're 100% wrong. Resources are shared. Regardless of how little, as I pointed out, it's also a matter of principle. This guy's elbow and baseball career pale in comparison. Even from a PR standpoint he should wait.

  21. #1546

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    You're 100% wrong. Resources are shared. Regardless of how little, as I pointed out, it's also a matter of principle. This guy's elbow and baseball career pale in comparison. Even from a PR standpoint he should wait.
    When someone says, 'It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing', it's the money.'

    I get it. You are full throttle trying to justify your earlier over the top comment.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  22. #1547
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote from Dr. ElAttrache: " “I don’t know any conscientious medical professional who looks at patients and makes judgments based on socioeconomic factors. Whether it’s a kid losing a scholarship, or a man who has to work (his arms) overhead because he has his own air-conditioning business, or a player making money on a good contract, if somebody’s livelihood is at stake, I’m blind to the name of the companies they work for.”
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

  23. #1548

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Every hard thrower will eventually need Tommy John surgery at some point.

  24. #1549
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    On the other hand - Shot in the face surgery is not normally elective.
    True, but would TJS be considered incidental to the primary surgery or not?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  25. #1550
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2020 Spring Training

    Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    Every hard thrower will eventually need Tommy John surgery at some point.
    How did Nolan Ryan avoid it?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts