+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1646
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: 2020 Spring Training

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    I think the players should get paid. This isn’t a strike situation, they didn’t cause it.

The service time and contract stuff is up to them to hash out. Everyone including vendors, security, ticket people should all be taken care of. The owners and players can work something out for those folks too.

I mentioned somewhere else on the forum it’s gonna stink for us to miss Cole’s best season he’s under contract to us.
    Owners aren't making money, aren't in business and aren't open and still have a boatload of costs.
    Why on earth should players be paid?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

The Olympics scheduled for Tokyo this summer just got postponed until next year.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The Olympics scheduled for Tokyo this summer just got postponed until next year.
    Yea, that was an obvious move on their part and probably logistically not all that challenging to move. No way you can have a global event like that without proper vaccinations.

I still think there's a path to baseball this year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    My guess is if they play it will be in empty or mostly empty stadiums with only necessary personnel. And ultimately the owners will make that call based on how profitable that route would be and on potential risks both health related and to the image of the game. There’s going to be pressure to resume from an economic standpoint given how many are employed in professional baseball most of whom can’t afford to lose a year of pay and the owners are not fronting that without revenue. If the owners can make a buck or at least lose less while getting a lot those people back to work safely some sort of season will happen. Would be interesting if they did it all in neutral sights in Tampa and Arizona to limit travel and just used spring facilities for the entire year. There’s definitely a way to do it safely that doesn’t involve waiting for a year. It’s just a question of what that would entail in terms of risks and economic gains.

The world can’t operate this way for a year as bad as things seem right now. Some things will not resume for good reason but most will.

I've been thinking about this for awhile. The broadcasting and streaming networks need to work out something with MLB to show all games from empty fields/stadiums in Florida and Arizona. The amount of viewers will be up dramatically, perhaps advertising becomes more costly, but it could stimulate revenues for MLB and the networks/streaming services.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Somewhere out there a recently-injured Olympian athlete is doing the Lindy Jig.
    Let the kids play.

you'll be glad to know Stanton's calf is healing and could play now if there were games to be played
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Neither did the owners!

Touché

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    It's my understanding there is a clause in the CBA that in the event games are not played due to a national emergency the owners don't have to pay the players. I don't know how this impacts service time.
    I think the relevant clause is this one in the Uniform Player's Contract:

Governmental Regulation–National Emergency
    11. This contract is subject to federal or state legislation, regulations,
    executive or other official orders or other governmental action, now or
    hereafter in effect respecting military, naval, air or other governmental
    service, which may directly or indirectly affect the Player, Club or the
    League and subject also to the right of the Commissioner to suspend
    the operation of this contract during any national emergency during
    which Major League Baseball is not played.
    It seems to me, if games are off, the Commissioner can suspend any payments or accrual of service time. Beyond that, everything is subject to negotiation.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Death Star Fully Operational

Well, it's not just the Yankees doctors as Noah Syndergaard needs TJS.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

I'm waiting for my Met fan buddy to send me a text saying "I told you they should have traded him"

NYYF Legend

This makes little sense. No one is saying injuries can't occur. The problem the Yankees have is non/wrongful diagnosis of injuries. There's a big difference.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Red Sox fans must be livid about Chris Sale as well.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

I'd like to see the guy they send to punch the god of thunder in the face.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

Syndergaard having his surgery on Thursday. I wonder if he's going to get shot in the face?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'd like to see the guy they send to punch the god of thunder in the face.
    Oh, shoot him in the face. I guess that could be done to the god of thunder.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

Syndergaard having his surgery on Thursday. I wonder if he's going to get shot in the face?
    Putting aside the shot in the face comment, I wonder how the general community feels about this type of elective surgery? Anybody know if Kay/LaGrecca/Rosenberg has commented on this?
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Putting aside the shot in the face comment, I wonder how the general community feels about this type of elective surgery? Anybody know if Kay/LaGrecca/Rosenberg has commented on this?
    Though they are doctors I doubt orthopedic surgeons like Dr. Andrews will have much involvement with covid-19 patients.

At present I don’t believe Alabama hospitals are over stressed.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Though they are doctors I doubt orthopedic surgeons like Dr. Andrews will have much involvement with covid-19 patients.

At present I don’t believe Alabama hospitals are over stressed.
    Right, but they will still use surgical masks and gowns to perform these procedures while other states are in desperate need of these types of supplies.
    Let the kids play.

Right, but they will still use surgical masks and gowns to perform these procedures while other states are in desperate need of these types of supplies.
    Other facilities need those supplies in mass quantities. The amount saved by not performing Tommy John surgeries would be of less help than a bandaid on a bullet wound.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Well, he needs the surgery in order to continue to earn his living in his chosen profession. I don't know the medical ramifications of not having the surgery now and waiting until all this is over. Maybe its something that needs to be taken care of now, or soon, or else it may not be fixable after a certain amount of time goes by. Again, not a doctor so I don't know.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Other facilities need those supplies in mass quantities. The amount saved by not performing Tommy John surgeries would be of less help than a bandaid on a bullet wound.
    You can say that about the person who needs knee replacement but can’t get it done right now because elective surgeries are being postponed. What’s more important?
    Let the kids play.

You can say that about the person who needs knee replacement but can’t get it done right now because elective surgeries are being postponed. What’s more important?
    Judging by the hoarding of TP, hand sanitizer, and even Mountain Dew most people likely think their case is the most important.

Is this actually elective surgery, though ? He can't pitch unless he gets the surgery. Not life threatening I know, but, he has the right to keep on making his living in his chosen profession.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Is this actually elective surgery, though ? He can't pitch unless he gets the surgery. Not life threatening I know, but, he has the right to keep on making his living in his chosen profession.
    All elective surgery means is that the surgery can be scheduled in advance (without it being a life-threatening condition).

TJS is an elective surgery.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    All elective surgery means is that the surgery can be scheduled in advance (without it being a life-threatening condition).

TJS is an elective surgery.
    Okay. So, how long can you wait to put off TJS before its too late, or doesn't matter ?

Thread Information