+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Yankees 2020 Minor League News & Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    There are workload worries surrounding Garcia because he’s 5-foot-9, 165 pounds, and, more relevantly, saw his walk rates spike last year. But one could argue there’s a selection bias for height in the pitching population, perhaps one that’ll melt away as we keep learning about approach angle, and, because part of the formula for torque (which could theoretically be used as a measure of stress on the elbow) is the distance from the fulcrum, that longer-armed, usually taller pitchers might actually be more of an injury risk than a little guy like Deivi.
    This part is really interesting to me, because I always thought the height thing is really overblown when it comes to injuries/workload.

It's super rare for pitchers of his height to have his type of stuff. Period.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    This part is really interesting to me, because I always thought the height thing is really overblown when it comes to injuries/workload.

The whole short pitchers are less durable is BS and there has been studies that proved that already.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Richmond Virginians

Baseball America ranks yankee farm system 17th

"After the threesome of multitalented newcomer Jasson Dominguez and upper-level righthanders Deivi Garcia and Clarke Schmidt, the Yankees system’s strength is its upside. The group is filled with players with high-ceiling, high-variance futures who have years to go before they make an impact in the big leagues. Or not."

NYYF Legend

Yanks take a flier on Tony Zych...RHP who has been often injured but when healthy has put together some good Minor league seasons. Tony is a power arm that projects as reliever.

NYYF MVP

They'll still be super careful with his workload because he is so young

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    They'll still be super careful with his workload because he is so young
    That is the major reason I really don't want to see him in the MLB this year outside maybe a cup of coffee. Frankly, the Yankees should be able to compete for the WS with their current roster without Deivi, and if he's seen anytime before September it probably means there has been some bad injuries and/or pitching has been subpar. I'd rather have him build up without being rushed, work on his issues in AAA and pitch a full 140 innings in a controlled environment this year. Then, let him start 2021 in AAA to get an extra year of control then bring him up around the time he turns 22 in May and become a staple for the Yankees rotation for the decade.

On the other hand, my ideal scenario for Clarke Schmidt will be that he shows good promise at spring training to get sent straight to AAA, and continue to build up value for him to shoot up the rankings.

NYYF Legend

Yanks take another flier on another past power arm in Chad Bettis. Injuries have set him back but worth a look see for a guy who sported 7 FB slider combo.

Richmond Virginians

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Yanks take another flier on another past power arm in Chad Bettis. Injuries have set him back but worth a look see for a guy who sported 7 FB slider combo.
    https://www.northjersey.com/story/sp...ng/4770456002/

Richmond Virginians

Schmidt thinks he can pitch in majors now

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/02/y...bronx-now.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Schmidt thinks he can pitch in majors now

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/02/y...bronx-now.html
    He's got no shot because:

1) He doesn't the innings.
    2) He's not on the 40.

...excited to see him though.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Deivi was signed at 17 or younger.

Players signed at age 18 or younger need to be added to their club's 40-Man roster within five seasons or they become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. Players who signed at age 19 or older need to be protected within four seasons.
    Why was Deivi added to the 40? Couldn't they have held off on this?
    Calmer than you are

Deivi was signed at 17 or younger.

Why was Deivi added to the 40? Couldn't they have held off on this?
    Deivi signed on July 2, 2015. If he signed two months later he would have gotten an extra year before being Rule 5 eligible. But because he signed in July the 2015 season counts against him in calculating his eligibility for the Rule 5 draft.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    Deivi signed on July 2, 2015. If he signed two months later he would have gotten an extra year before being Rule 5 eligible. But because he signed in July the 2015 season counts against him in calculating his eligibility for the Rule 5 draft.
    Thanks, so even though he didn't play in 2015, that season still counts against him?
    Calmer than you are

Thanks, so even though he didn't play in 2015, that season still counts against him?
    Yep, the cut off date is August 20. So if they sign before Aug 20 that season counts against. If they sign after that date, then it does not.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    Yep, the cut off date is August 20. So if they sign before Aug 20 that season counts against. If they sign after that date, then it does not.
    Got it. Thank you.
    Calmer than you are

Richmond Virginians

Richmond Virginians

According to the MiLB.com rankings, the Yankees have the 12th best collection of minor league pitching and the 24th best collection of minor league position player prospects (one spot behind Boston after the Jeter Downs addition).

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Barnaby View Post
    According to the MiLB.com rankings, the Yankees have the 12th best collection of minor league pitching and the 24th best collection of minor league position player prospects (one spot behind Boston after the Jeter Downs addition).
    Which is interesting because according to FanGraph's ratings, the top four prospects after Deivi Garcia are non-pitchers (Dominguez, Alcantara, Duran, Vargas).

NYYF Legend

Keith Law released his top 100.

51) Schmidt [SUMMARY: If he can build up to that workload, he has a fourth starter floor and a ceiling of a good No. 3.]
    67) Deivi [SUMMARY: I think he can start, and if he holds up he has mid-rotation potential. But I’ve also seen him at 93-96 in short bursts, and once through an order he could be devastatingly good.]
    99) Dominguez (hilarious that Jasson is so good he got forced to rank him after hating on him relative to the consensus during the IFA period) [SUMMARY: He is 5′10″ and physically maxed out, so there’s no projection here; his development will likely all come in the form of plate discipline, pitch recognition, learning reads in the outfield, and so on. International scouts saw him against relatively good competition, so there’s optimism that he’s ready to go out and rake in pro ball right away]
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Realistically, if Dominguez dominates in the minor leagues, what is the earliest we could possibly see him in the Bronx?
    2022 at 19 years old?

When was the last time we had a teenager on the team?
    Derek Jeter - Mariano Rivera - Bernie Williams - Don Mattingly
    My Core Four Ive Seen in my Lifetime

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Realistically, if Dominguez dominates in the minor leagues, what is the earliest we could possibly see him in the Bronx?
    2022 at 19 years old?

When was the last time we had a teenager on the team?
    Been a long time. Was it Jose Rio, some 30 years ago??

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Keith Law released his top 100.

51) Schmidt [SUMMARY: If he can build up to that workload, he has a fourth starter floor and a ceiling of a good No. 3.]
    67) Deivi [SUMMARY: I think he can start, and if he holds up he has mid-rotation potential. But I’ve also seen him at 93-96 in short bursts, and once through an order he could be devastatingly good.]
    99) Dominguez (hilarious that Jasson is so good he got forced to rank him after hating on him relative to the consensus during the IFA period) [SUMMARY: He is 5′10″ and physically maxed out, so there’s no projection here; his development will likely all come in the form of plate discipline, pitch recognition, learning reads in the outfield, and so on. International scouts saw him against relatively good competition, so there’s optimism that he’s ready to go out and rake in pro ball right away]
    Who has front rotation potential in his [deleted by Moderator]
    Last edited by Maynerd; 02-25-20 at 10:16 AM.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Been a long time. Was it Jose Rio, some 30 years ago??
    Jose Rijo, you took it back with that one.
    Cashman told Accorsi, “[B]I feel the responsibility of millions of Yankee fans on my shoulders, fans who take this very seriously and for which every game is very important. I think of that every day[/B].”

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NY_GOLDENARMS View Post
    Jose Rijo, you took it back with that one.
    There was no one since? Seems hard to believe.

Thread Information