+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Don Larsen, R.I.P.



    I love "Athena"'s reply. Perfect (no pun intended).

  2. #2
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Jan 2018

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    i met them both years ago at an autograph signing . so sad both are gone now.

  3. #3
    Importer-exporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Ocean

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    Sorry to hear. RIP to a (for one day) Yankee great.

    Is he the only pitcher to win a World Series game for the Yankees and beat the Yankees in a World Series game? I can't recall.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Sorry to hear. RIP to a (for one day) Yankee great.

    Is he the only pitcher to win a World Series game for the Yankees and beat the Yankees in a World Series game? I can't recall.
    Tommy John? 78/81...

  5. #5

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    RIP Don Larsen.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  6. #6
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    America

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    r.i.p.

  7. #7
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    Thanks for the memory. I listened to the game on the radio. The rivalry between the Dodgers and Yankees was so bitter in our neighbor (Albany, NY) and made the BoSox a footnote. One of my great memories and so happy to see his statute live on at Yankee Stadium. A shinning moment. RIP

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Tommy John? 78/81...
    Tommy John is correct. Hard to believe only 2 pitchers accomplished that.

  9. #9
    Crow,Tony,Joe D,Yogi,Riz,Judge Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    Eternal rest grant unto him oh Lord
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2020)
    Totus Tuus

  10. #10

  11. #11

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    So sad to hear about that! I remember seeing him at an Old Timers game and I got goosebumps! The World Series perfect game is a record thatíll never be broken.

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Thanks for the memory. I listened to the game on the radio. The rivalry between the Dodgers and Yankees was so bitter in our neighbor (Albany, NY) and made the BoSox a footnote. One of my great memories and so happy to see his statute live on at Yankee Stadium. A shinning moment. RIP
    The perfect game was 13 years before I was born, so I only ever read about or watched some highlights of it. On the way back home from our holiday vacation we listened to the radio broadcast of the game on the Sirius XM MLB channel. I had never heard it in the full context of the game, complete with commercials. It was amazing how I almost felt transported back in time.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    RIP he wont be at Old Timers Day...sad news
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

  14. #14

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    RIP he wont be at Old Timers Day...sad news
    But he will be remembered - the In Memoriam section of OTD is always tear jerking.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  16. #16
    NYYF Legend

    Sixty one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Raritan, New Jersey

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    I was lucky enough to get his autograph on a baseball several years ago after a old timers game. He was friendly and showed class! RIP Don.

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I was lucky enough to get his autograph on a baseball several years ago after a old timers game. He was friendly and showed class! RIP Don.
    That’s great! I am not usually one to buy autographs, but I wish I had sprung for one of Larsen’s awhile back. I bought a Yogi signed baseball from Yogi’s museum before he passed.
    Last edited by CalYankeeFan; 01-08-20 at 05:07 PM.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  18. #18
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Jim Beam

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Thatís great! I am not usually one to buy autographs, but I wish I had sprung for one of Larsenís awhile back. I bought a Yogi signed baseball one from Yogiís museum before he passed.
    Im in your boar about not paying for autographs but a couple years back at one of Steiner Sports clearance sales (meaning only paying 200% of real value) I bought one of Larson's and one of Frank Robinson for about $75 total. Now I am glad I did

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    Im in your boar about not paying for autographs but a couple years back at one of Steiner Sports clearance sales (meaning only paying 200% of real value) I bought one of Larson's and one of Frank Robinson for about $75 total. Now I am glad I did
    At YS a few years ago, I bid on a Yogi Berra autographed ball. I also bought a Don Larsen ball, getting them to throw in a double ball display case - display them proudly in my office.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts