+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Don Larsen, R.I.P.

I love "Athena"'s reply. Perfect (no pun intended).

Released Outright

Re: Don Larsen, R.I.P.

i met them both years ago at an autograph signing . so sad both are gone now.

Importer-exporter

Sorry to hear. RIP to a (for one day) Yankee great.

Is he the only pitcher to win a World Series game for the Yankees and beat the Yankees in a World Series game? I can't recall.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Sorry to hear. RIP to a (for one day) Yankee great.

Is he the only pitcher to win a World Series game for the Yankees and beat the Yankees in a World Series game? I can't recall.
    Tommy John? 78/81...

RIP Don Larsen.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

r.i.p.

NYYF Triple Crown

Thanks for the memory. I listened to the game on the radio. The rivalry between the Dodgers and Yankees was so bitter in our neighbor (Albany, NY) and made the BoSox a footnote. One of my great memories and so happy to see his statute live on at Yankee Stadium. A shinning moment. RIP

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Tommy John? 78/81...
    Tommy John is correct. Hard to believe only 2 pitchers accomplished that.

Crow,Tony,Joe D,Yogi,Riz,Judge Tifoso's Avatar

Eternal rest grant unto him oh Lord
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2020)
    Totus Tuus

So sad to hear about that! I remember seeing him at an Old Timers game and I got goosebumps! The World Series perfect game is a record thatíll never be broken.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Thanks for the memory. I listened to the game on the radio. The rivalry between the Dodgers and Yankees was so bitter in our neighbor (Albany, NY) and made the BoSox a footnote. One of my great memories and so happy to see his statute live on at Yankee Stadium. A shinning moment. RIP
    The perfect game was 13 years before I was born, so I only ever read about or watched some highlights of it. On the way back home from our holiday vacation we listened to the radio broadcast of the game on the Sirius XM MLB channel. I had never heard it in the full context of the game, complete with commercials. It was amazing how I almost felt transported back in time.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

RIP he wont be at Old Timers Day...sad news
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    RIP he wont be at Old Timers Day...sad news
    But he will be remembered - the In Memoriam section of OTD is always tear jerking.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

I was lucky enough to get his autograph on a baseball several years ago after a old timers game. He was friendly and showed class! RIP Don.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I was lucky enough to get his autograph on a baseball several years ago after a old timers game. He was friendly and showed class! RIP Don.
    That’s great! I am not usually one to buy autographs, but I wish I had sprung for one of Larsen’s awhile back. I bought a Yogi signed baseball from Yogi’s museum before he passed.
    Last edited by CalYankeeFan; 01-08-20 at 05:07 PM.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Thatís great! I am not usually one to buy autographs, but I wish I had sprung for one of Larsenís awhile back. I bought a Yogi signed baseball one from Yogiís museum before he passed.
    Im in your boar about not paying for autographs but a couple years back at one of Steiner Sports clearance sales (meaning only paying 200% of real value) I bought one of Larson's and one of Frank Robinson for about $75 total. Now I am glad I did

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    Im in your boar about not paying for autographs but a couple years back at one of Steiner Sports clearance sales (meaning only paying 200% of real value) I bought one of Larson's and one of Frank Robinson for about $75 total. Now I am glad I did
    At YS a few years ago, I bid on a Yogi Berra autographed ball. I also bought a Don Larsen ball, getting them to throw in a double ball display case - display them proudly in my office.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information