+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 188
  1. #1
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    The Yankees new ace starter is expected to have a big year in 2020 pitching on the biggest contract a pitcher has ever signed for the team he grew up idolizing, but he just announced to the world today that it's going to be even bigger for him than any of us knew - his wife is due in June with their first child.

    2020 has the potential to be thoroughly epic for Gerrit.

    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The Yankees new ace starter is expected to have a big year in 2020 pitching on the biggest contract a pitcher has ever signed for the team he grew up idolizing, but he just announced to the world today that it's going to be even bigger for him than any of us knew - his wife is due in June with their first child.

    2020 has the potential to be thoroughly epic for Gerrit.
    I hope it's a lefty.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I hope it's a lefty.
    And Cashman won’t try to lowball him out of high school.

  4. #4
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Jan 2018

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    And Cashman won’t try to lowball him out of high school.
    i am hoping cashman is retired by then lol

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Already his finest performance for 2020 (though technically I suppose it was 2019 at the time).

  6. #6
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    I would think they'll have a symbolic baby shower.
    Let the kids play.

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    A couple of poll questions:

    Will he pitch 200 innings?
    Will he have at least 250 Ks?
    Is he the "difference-maker"?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    You signed for how much?!?

    Annnnnnnd goalie pulled.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    That's not how this baby stuff works - she was pregnant while Cole was still pitching games for the Astros.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  10. #10

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    That is one slim little lady.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  11. #11
    Devoted Member
    Yankees61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1200 mi south of Yankee Stadium

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Mrs. Cole looks a lot like Joi Lansing - a B actor best known for playing "Mrs. Superman" in the TV show "The adventures of Superman". So, a good fit for the Yankees

  12. #12
    Importer-exporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Ocean

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    A couple of poll questions:

    Will he pitch 200 innings?
    Will he have at least 250 Ks?
    Is he the "difference-maker"?
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Maybe.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

  13. #13
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    A couple of poll questions:

    Will he pitch 200 innings?
    Will he have at least 250 Ks?
    Is he the "difference-maker"?
    Nah, probably like 190 or so. Yankees are quick with the hook and they have to protect their investment.
    Hopefully.
    Hopefully.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  14. #14
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Interesting - "is he a difference maker?" gets a "maybe" and a "hopefully" so far....

    $36M Man
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  15. #15
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Interesting - "is he a difference maker?" gets a "maybe" and a "hopefully" so far....

    $36M Man
    He's also only one player. If Severino is 2018 second half Severino, Happ is exactly what we expect and Paxton is hurt, no pitcher is enough to make a difference.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  16. #16
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Interesting - "is he a difference maker?" gets a "maybe" and a "hopefully" so far....

    $36M Man
    The question wasn’t "Is he a difference maker," it was "Is he the difference maker." The latter calls for a lot more hedging. If Gerrit Cole wins the CYA while Giancarlo Stanton wins the MVP, which is the difference maker?

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The question wasn’t "Is he a difference maker," it was "Is he the difference maker." The latter calls for a lot more hedging. If Gerrit Cole wins the CYA while Giancarlo Stanton wins the MVP, which is the difference maker?
    Brian Cashman
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  18. #18
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The question wasn’t "Is he a difference maker," it was "Is he the difference maker." The latter calls for a lot more hedging. If Gerrit Cole wins the CYA while Giancarlo Stanton wins the MVP, which is the difference maker?
    Good catch, I didn't intentionally word it differently, but yeah, is Cole going to be the difference-maker that we always talk about and debate - the one guy that puts the team over the top. The guy that some poster will give up the farm for.

    I'm hoping he is also, so I understand that nothing's certain. I was just wondering if there are folks out there that say "hell yeah, he's the difference-maker!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Brian Cashman
    lol love this response.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  19. #19
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    We're getting into semantics a bit, which don't think is any of our intentions. "Difference maker" is very ambiguous and very subjective.

    Let's put it another way: Is he going to make a major impact? I absolutely think yes.

    This team needed a reliable workhorse. It actually needs another one. The 2019 rotation was a disaster. It somehow came together at the end to make a formidable and respectable playoff run (and maybe WS if German was there, what a moron) but it was in shambles.

    The team also needs a true reliable "ace" (and not just good pitcher) for October than can be counted on to win 3 games in a 7 game series.

    The need for him was huge. He's not just another bat that helps or something. He's one of those 2 + 2 = 6 type additions. Players like Lindor or Hader just aren't that. They're great, but they're more like 2 + 2 = 4.

    I just hope they acquire one more starting pitcher and get rid of Happ. With Cole, Tanaka and a third workhorse (just a league average, reliable workhorse to eat innings), you have a not just a great rotation, but a robust one. You've got as much certainty for 600 (available) innings out of 3 pitchers as any rotation in the league, an elite bullpen and a circular lineup.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  20. #20

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    We're getting into semantics a bit, which don't think is any of our intentions. "Difference maker" is very ambiguous and very subjective.

    Let's put it another way: Is he going to make a major impact? I absolutely think yes.

    This team needed a reliable workhorse. It actually needs another one. The 2019 rotation was a disaster. It somehow came together at the end to make a formidable and respectable playoff run (and maybe WS if German was there, what a moron) but it was in shambles.

    The team also needs a true reliable "ace" (and not just good pitcher) for October than can be counted on to win 3 games in a 7 game series.

    The need for him was huge. He's not just another bat that helps or something. He's one of those 2 + 2 = 6 type additions. Players like Lindor or Hader just aren't that. They're great, but they're more like 2 + 2 = 4.

    I just hope they acquire one more starting pitcher and get rid of Happ. With Cole, Tanaka and a third workhorse (just a league average, reliable workhorse to eat innings), you have a not just a great rotation, but a robust one. You've got as much certainty for 600 (available) innings out of 3 pitchers as any rotation in the league, an elite bullpen and a circular lineup.
    That SP no longer exists and may never again exist.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  21. #21
    Crow,Tony,Joe D,Yogi,Riz,Judge Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    That SP no longer exists and may never again exist.
    Wonder if we could get Cole? He’s pretty good.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2020)
    Totus Tuus

  22. #22
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Wonder if we could get Cole? He’s pretty good.
    Blazer's point was that no one starts three games in a seven-game series anymore.

  23. #23
    How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Blazer's point was that no one starts three games in a seven-game series anymore.
    Maybe with well placed rain outs.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

  24. #24
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Blazer's point was that no one starts three games in a seven-game series anymore.
    I know Schilling started 1, 4 and 7 in 2001 (grrrr). Was he the last one to do it? Trying to remember if Bumgarner did it.

  25. #25
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2020 Gerrit Cole Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I know Schilling started 1, 4 and 7 in 2001 (grrrr). Was he the last one to do it? Trying to remember if Bumgarner did it.
    Bum came in relief in G7.

    Kluber was last pitcher to start 3 WS games in the same year. 2016.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts