+ Reply to Thread

MLB Fighting with MiLB Affiliates

Not sure how many people have been following this story, but MLB is proposing to eliminate about 42 minor league affiliates.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...ight-agreement

Between the Astros scandal and this there is a lot of activity this off-season...

NYYF Legend

Re: MLB Fighting with MiLB Affiliates

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Not sure how many people have been following this story, but MLB is proposing to eliminate about 42 minor league affiliates.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...ight-agreement

Between the Astros scandal and this there is a lot of activity this off-season...
    I posted and have discussed this on the minor league thread.

NYYF Legend

This deserves a thread in a forum larger than the Minor Leagues.

This is about the owners making a power play considering the current political climate / SCOTUS.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

You are right. Major change in the minor leagues. Not to mention the ramifications to all those cities that could be losing their teams. A lot of jobs (non players) will be lost too.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    You are right. Major change in the minor leagues. Not to mention the ramifications to all those cities that could be losing their teams. A lot of jobs (non players) will be lost too.
    Early. I don't know about the other teams. I can NOT believe Lowell Spinners (BOS A) is on that list. They have a huge following there and many games are standing room only. I love it there. The owner who built the stadium got a deal with Lowell for the stadium and was to build a second level but he later built a bigger stadium in Manchester, NH (TOR AAA) and has less fans (it's never filled). It's not the people who built, depend, invested in the teams but the MLB FO making these decisions. We need a minor league system but I do feel if the fans don't go (pictures you see) the team will move, in this case shut down. (IMO) BOS AAA is moving from Pawtucket, RI (McCoy stadium is super) to Worcester, MA for a bigger fan base and Lowell is 1.5 hour from Worcester and BOS A will probably go to Pawtucket, RI and Lowell is out of MiLB. (more money for owners?). Kinda stinks for people who love baseball in smaller towns. There was an independent league but it left (Nashua Pride), too, and that was better baseball than the minors!

NYYF Legend

Lowell in the 14 team NY Penn league. All but 5 teams in that league are on the list to be eliminated. And those 5 teams slated to join other minor leagues.

NYYF Triple Crown

Lowell in the 14 team NY Penn league. All but 5 teams in that league are on the list to be eliminated. And those 5 teams slated to join other minor leagues.
    Thanks. It's sad for me and the other fans (and the city of Lowell) because I go to about 5-10 games a year. On a August night it's the best bargain in baseball, extra hotdogs and burgers for $1 in 9th, fireworks. You see all the new drafted players and rehabs. Kinda Sucks. Fortunately, I have Manchester (TOR AAA) close by.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Thanks. It's sad for me and the other fans (and the city of Lowell) because I go to about 5-10 games a year. On a August night it's the best bargain in baseball, extra hotdogs and burgers for $1 in 9th, fireworks. You see all the new drafted players and rehabs. Kinda Sucks. Fortunately, I have Manchester (TOR AAA) close by.
    I feel bad about it too. Always like going to minor league games. When the Yankees are not home I go to games at Trenton, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Have been to Pawtucket and Manchester but unfortunately have never been to Lowell.

NYYF Triple Crown

I feel bad about it too. Always like going to minor league games. When the Yankees are not home I go to games at Trenton, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Have been to Pawtucket and Manchester but unfortunately have never been to Lowell.
    I will always go to minors because bit's so much fun and actually looking forward to BoSox move to Worcester. Lowell was not great baseball but they have a BBQ pit that I recommend.
    You could not believe the Manchester team (TOR) in 2018 with Bichette, Biggio, and Vlad Jr and they had pitching. Last year (Manchester), extra innings so the player was placed at 2nd, stole 3rd and when the pitcher wasn't looking stole home for the win. I never laugh so hard at a game. You never know who is next to you. At that game it was a guy from Montreal dealing with their new stadium ("Olympic stadium is a dump:"). Another time 2 seats away Joe Morgan (coach Boston) or the mayor.

thanks

Starting with the 10th inning, a runner would be stationed on second base to begin each inning. While controversial at the outset, the rule has been warmly received by many fans and club personnel. Amid widespread skepticism that it could ever translate to the big leagues, the positive response has exceeded the expectations of even its most ardent supporters.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I will always go to minors because bit's so much fun and actually looking forward to BoSox move to Worcester. Lowell was not great baseball but they have a BBQ pit that I recommend.
    You could not believe the Manchester team (TOR) in 2018 with Bichette, Biggio, and Vlad Jr and they had pitching. Last year (Manchester), extra innings so the player was placed at 2nd, stole 3rd and when the pitcher wasn't looking stole home for the win. I never laugh so hard at a game. You never know who is next to you. At that game it was a guy from Montreal dealing with their new stadium ("Olympic stadium is a dump:"). Another time 2 seats away Joe Morgan (coach Boston) or the mayor.

thanks

Starting with the 10th inning, a runner would be stationed on second base to begin each inning. While controversial at the outset, the rule has been warmly received by many fans and club personnel. Amid widespread skepticism that it could ever translate to the big leagues, the positive response has exceeded the expectations of even its most ardent supporters.
    I really hate that rule. They should at least play by international rules where you play a few extra innings before that kicks in. Really happy it is not used in the playoffs.

NYYF Legend

Nice article yesterday in the NY Post. Apparently the A league team that plays in Daytona Beach Floride is one of the 42 teams. That is where Jackie Robinson played his first interracial game back in 1946. Their park dates to 1914. The team is so mad about this they plan to get the owners of the other 41 teams to petition Congress to drop MLBs anti trust exemption if they try to go through with this.

NYYF Triple Crown

I really hate that rule. They should at least play by international rules where you play a few extra innings before that kicks in. Really happy it is not used in the playoffs.
    I didn't think I would like it because I hate any change. The international would be better. I don't want this in majors because I love extra innings. The minors are completely different. Minors cost $10-15/seat and majors are over $100/seat, minors is more a family event and majors is more for serious fans, minors are for developing players and majors are to win the game, etc. I have no problem having different rules for the minors but I am totally against anything that shortens the major league game.

(Minors - About 10-25% of fans leave in bottom of the 8th to beat the traffic)

Thread Information