+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18

Re: Next order of business: We need a high contact/ low K hitter

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I certainly agree with you on that narrow point.
    Cool. I wasn't trying to make a broader point than that.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I said I didn't know anyone "meeting that classification" I was referring specifically to this:

That's where I felt you were implying that people who point out the legitimate problems we have around income inequality should just suck it up and focus on their careers more. It's certainly possible, maybe even common, that someone could be missing chances to better themselves individually while also being quite right to point out the macroeconomic issues that are making things even more difficult than they need to be.
    First, income inequality isn't just a rich vs poor thing. I know people that make a comfortable living wage just doing the bare minimum to keep their jobs that resent others that put more into their careers and make hard tradeoffs to earn a higher salary. Second, regardless of socioeconomic status, you can be pissed about income inequality AND focus on your career more. Both those things are productive. Why choose one over the other, particularly the former over the latter? Seems like a recipe to keep one standing still or moving backwards in their career.

Anyway, apologies for the fact that my response to your post included references to ideas that didn't come specifically from you. In this format, it becomes really tedious to try to parse everything into micro-responses that address each point being made.
    All good, you know you're one of my favorite people to interact with around here. Wish we'd see you more often!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    The KC Chiefs not a baseball related topic?

Why their Quarterback's father pitched on the 2000 NL Champion Mets who lost handily to the 2000 WC Yankees. The 20th anniversary celebration for both teams should be held this year at some promotional event during the season. If KC wins the Super Bowl I expect young Mahomes to throw out the first pitch to the elder Mahomes at some point in Queens.
    Is the elder Mahomes going to throw out the first football in the Super Bowl?

Thanks for finding the baseball relatedness. I was afraid this thread was going to stray off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I was afraid this thread was going to stray off topic.
    The primary topic is "the next order of business." It's (obviously) hard to stray from that.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    The primary topic is "the next order of business." It's (obviously) hard to stray from that.
    To tell you the truth, it seems to have been pretty easy to stray from that topic. This thread needs to be shut down. It's turned into some sort of a Rorschach test, where the ink-blot is "the next order of business" and socio-political pieties supply the associations.

It's a damn shame too because whether or not what the NYY next need is a high contact/low K hitter is an important matter, more so than most of the trade scenarios that we generate during the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    To tell you the truth, it seems to have been pretty easy to stray from that topic. This thread needs to be shut down. It's turned into some sort of a Rorschach test, where the ink-blot is "the next order of business" and socio-political pieties supply the associations.

It's a damn shame too because whether or not what the NYY next need is a high contact/low K hitter is an important matter, more so than most of the trade scenarios that we generate during the off-season.
    I think the need for a high contact/low K hitter has been pretty well thrashed. It's mostly an article of faith, anyway - I think outs are outs, there are other who think that one kind of out is intrinsically better than another. Just more pieties.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

My piety rocks thank you.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Thread Information