+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Next order of business: We need a high contact/ low K hitter

No problem trading Andujar as I really believe we need a high contact/low K hitter to better balance out this line up. I think part of the reason we get shut down in the post season besides pitching being dominant is we have a lot of really good power but guys who swing and miss a lot. When pitching is elite those guys tend to strike out a bunch. Its why the old dynasty Yanks were so tough , not a ton of power but guys who could consistently get the bat on the ball. Give me another guy closer to Gleyber and DJ who will get the bat on the ball more often against better pitching or have long drawn out quality ABs.

Released Outright

Re: Next order of business: We need a high contact/ low K hitter

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    No problem trading Andujar as I really believe we need a high contact/low K hitter to better balance out this line up. I think part of the reason we get shut down in the post season besides pitching being dominant is we have a lot of really good power but guys who swing and miss a lot. When pitching is elite those guys tend to strike out a bunch. Its why the old dynasty Yanks were so tough , not a ton of power but guys who could consistently get the bat on the ball. Give me another guy closer to Gleyber and DJ who will get the bat on the ball more often against better pitching or have long drawn out quality ABs.
    ford and voit are closer to contact hitters than big hr high strike out hitters . i dont see the yanks doing anything more than bringing back gardner

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    ford and voit are closer to contact hitters than big hr high strike out hitters . i dont see the yanks doing anything more than bringing back gardner

Cashman almost without fail has always has an off season move or two up his sleeve that we weren't expecting. Whether via trade or a low buy that ends up exceling here.

DJM was a great example last year. Didi a few years back another one. Gio.

I have a feeling we will see another decent move not for huge money but a guy who projects to be a nice complementary piece to this line-up.

Keep in mind, CF is not in that great a shape right now. We can get by with Maybin/Gardner/Tauchman/Hicks? but unless they somehow think Florial is ready, we may want to do something there.

Miguel Andujar only 97 Ks in 573 ABs. I mean yea sure it is one year of info to draw on, but I think it would be equally foolish to lay all your 3rd base eggs in an Urshela basket that had OPS+s of 68, 44, and 63 prior to last years coming out. Yes, yes I know can't play defense, but is there a viable option at 3rd should Urshela go back to being, well Gio Urshela?
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    **This Space For Rent**

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    Miguel Andujar only 97 Ks in 573 ABs. I mean yea sure it is one year of info to draw on, but I think it would be equally foolish to lay all your 3rd base eggs in an Urshela basket that had OPS+s of 68, 44, and 63 prior to last years coming out. Yes, yes I know can't play defense, but is there a viable option at 3rd should Urshela go back to being, well Gio Urshela?

Lol, I like Andujar a lot but the 3rd base D is suspect and to me he doesn't project as the super plate disciplined guy that seems to excel the best in the playoffs.

Again nice problem to have but Cash is always looking to tweak the roster to make it even better if possible.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

The offense is fine. If anything, they need another pitcher to replace Happ.

Replacing Happ with a middle rotation, innings eater would go way further to help the Yankees than another bat.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post

Replacing Happ with a middle rotation, innings eater would go way further to help the Yankees than another bat.

Not saying this isn't also another nice to have but between Monty, German( how much suspension time?), Loisiaga, Green and other long man options , I think we are still in pretty good shape here.

Released Outright

they dont need another starter . how is cole/sevy/tanaka/paxton/monty-german , not enough?

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

they dont need another starter . how is cole/sevy/tanaka/paxton/monty-german , not enough?
    Who knows if Sevy will be effective, Paxton is injury prone, Monte hasn't pitched in nearly 2 years come opening day and German won't be there for a while. Plus, pitchers get hurt, become ineffective, etc.

You don't roll into the season with a rotation of 2 stable starting pitchers, an injury prone pitcher, a suspended pitcher, a pitcher who hasn't pitched in 2 years and a pitcher who hasn't also, less about nail biting innings 20 innings, hasn't pitched in a year and a half. You CERTAINLY don't go into the regular season with the bullpen as your 5th starter. That's insanity.

Doesn't need to be a TOR guy, but someone who can put up a 105 ERA+ and pitch 190 innings. Keuchel and Ryu will be too expensive. Gibson would have been perfect. Someone like that.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Released Outright

Who knows if Sevy will be effective, Paxton is injury prone, Monte hasn't pitched in nearly 2 years come opening day and German won't be there for a while. Plus, pitchers get hurt, become ineffective, etc.

You don't roll into the season with a rotation of 2 stable starting pitchers, an injury prone pitcher, a suspended pitcher, a pitcher who hasn't pitched in 2 years and a pitcher who hasn't also, less about nail biting innings 20 innings, hasn't pitched in a year and a half. You CERTAINLY don't go into the regular season with the bullpen as your 5th starter. That's insanity.

Doesn't need to be a TOR guy, but someone who can put up a 105 ERA+ and pitch 190 innings. Keuchel and Ryu will be too expensive. Gibson would have been perfect. Someone like that.
    thats what they have loasigia , cessa and green for . to use for a bullpen game everyone once in awhile during the season. plus i think if monty and german dont work out , garcia will be in the rotation not long after the all star break.

Cashman usually has a trick up his sleeve but between Chad Green,Monty,Loisaga,German and potentially that 'under the radar' move for pitching he may make , I think we'll have plenty.

thats what they have loasigia , cessa and green for . to use for a bullpen game everyone once in awhile during the season. plus i think if monty and german dont work out , garcia will be in the rotation not long after the all star break.

Yup we have a number of in house viable options for a #5 starter or even #4. That's not to say he won't pull of another (likely low key) move if/when we trade Happ but our staff shouldn't be considered woefully thin by any stretch.

Back on the main topic. I don't know if Voit/Ford is enough as a really good battler with good plate discipline that drives pitchers crazy especially in the playoffs. Gardy was like that too and has moments but is clearly getting older.

We need one more of those pesky hitters. They don't have to be DJ Lay or Gleyber level but someone who brings up the pitch count and can be relied upon to put the ball in play.

Released Outright

Yup we have a number of in house viable options for a #5 starter or even #4. That's not to say he won't pull of another (likely low key) move if/when we trade Happ but our staff shouldn't be considered woefully thin by any stretch.

Back on the main topic. I don't know if Voit/Ford is enough as a really good battler with good plate discipline that drives pitchers crazy especially in the playoffs. Gardy was like that too and has moments but is clearly getting older.

We need one more of those pesky hitters. They don't have to be DJ Lay or Gleyber level but someone who brings up the pitch count and can be relied upon to put the ball in play.
    i still think a healthy voit does just that.

i still think a healthy voit does just that.

You could be right. But I still want another guy (preferably CF) . Like a really good plate battler those are the guys that help win championships vs playoff pitching like our 90 dynasty days.

NYYF Legend

Get Merrifield.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Get Merrifield.
    It is an interesting idea - make him this year’s DJL.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Get Merrifield.
    Love this idea he is locked up to a very friendly deal until 2023. 4 years 16.75 mill TOTAL. Estrada, Florial, Ford and a B+ Pitcher in the minors.

Nonetheless, Merrifield’s value may never be higher when it comes to a potential deal. While defensive metrics are not fond of his play at second, he would be an upgrade for most teams offensively at the position. Meanwhile, he has graded out as an above average outfielder, particularly in center.

Plays Center field? That is just what we need.

Released Outright

Love this idea he is locked up to a very friendly deal until 2023. 4 years 16.75 mill TOTAL. Estrada, Florial, Ford and a B+ Pitcher in the minors.

Nonetheless, Merrifield’s value may never be higher when it comes to a potential deal. While defensive metrics are not fond of his play at second, he would be an upgrade for most teams offensively at the position. Meanwhile, he has graded out as an above average outfielder, particularly in center.

Plays Center field? That is just what we need.
    thats a bit much for merrifield . i mean who backs up voit at 1b? and florial should be ready for the majors within the next season or so. DJ should stay put at 2b as well .

thats a bit much for merrifield . i mean who backs up voit at 1b? and florial should be ready for the majors within the next season or so. DJ should stay put at 2b as well .

This would be for CF or other OF spots. He takes Gardners and Hicks place. Also insurance out there for Stanton. Doesnt have to be all that but something close in a package for him.

Released Outright

This would be for CF or other OF spots. He takes Gardners and Hicks place. Also insurance out there for Stanton. Doesnt have to be all that but something close in a package for him.
    yes i know its for CF , but by trading ford , you are moving DJM all over the infield again and i thought the consensus was that DJM needed to be at 2b. as for florial , they need him for insurance if both judge and stanton get hurt again . unless they keep frazier instead . i think i would do frazier , estrada and a B+ prospect or two for merrifield

yes i know its for CF , but by trading ford , you are moving DJM all over the infield again and i thought the consensus was that DJM needed to be at 2b. as for florial , they need him for insurance if both judge and stanton get hurt again . unless they keep frazier instead . i think i would do frazier , estrada and a B+ prospect or two for merrifield
    Not in disagreement with that but it may not be enough. It may need to be Florial. Very high upside with him but There has been enough struggles in his development to figure he is a few years away from potentially being consistent on the MLB level.

NYYF Legend

Royals hang up the phone and block your number with that offer.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    i doubt the yanks give much more than that for him .

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    No they dont . If they think Florials upside is too low now they may say no but that isn't an insulting offer. Everyone of those players have legit or proven MLB projections. And then if the B+ pitching prospect is Abreu?

NYYF Legend

No they dont . If they think Florials upside is too low now they may say no but that isn't an insulting offer. Everyone of those players have legit or proven MLB projections. And then if the B+ pitching prospect is Abreu?
    I promise you, that's an insulting offer. Read up on the comments from this past summer where Moore discussed potentially moving Whit - "the ask would be just crazy".

The package/trade that lands Merrifield will be BIG. We're talking about the league leader in hits for each of the past two years, with pop, speed, and supreme defensive versatility, locked in for the next 4 years at $4M AAV. You're paying as much for the contract as you are for the player.

I'd guess it'll be a return closer to the value of what the Cubs got for Quintana, which was a top-3 prospect in baseball, than to your proposed Yankee deal. Any package will have multiple top-100 prospects in it, and while Florial technically still is one, he's now back-end and probably a tertiary piece in any legit Yankees offer.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Thread Information