+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

2020 Draft news and notes...

I think it's crazy we pick 28th and the Nat's pick 22th... I think a reboot to the system as well as the need to declare for the draft needs to be done.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: 2020 Draft news and notes...

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    I think it's crazy we pick 28th and the Nat's pick 22th... I think a reboot to the system as well as the need to declare for the draft needs to be done.
    The order is set by regular season record - what criteria would you propose?

As for the need to declare - to what purpose? Are you suggesting HS players declare?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

As for the need to declare - to what purpose? Are you suggesting HS players declare?
    I know how its set but IMO it should be adjusted to finishing in the playoffs then go by record, and yes all players IMO should declare..HS ,Juco, DES, and 4yr Jrs.

I know how its set but IMO it should be adjusted to finishing in the playoffs then go by record, and yes all players IMO should declare..HS ,Juco, DES, and 4yr Jrs.
    I agree with you about the draft order, but, I disagree about players declaring because I think the system is already stacked too much in favor of the MLB teams when it comes to contract negotiations with drafted players.
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Personally I'd take the 20 teams that didn't make the playoffs
    they go 1-20 in reverse order of record.
    WC losers draft 21-22
    Divisional losers draft 23-26
    LCS losers 27-28
    WS loser 29
    WS winner 30

But it's really not all that different from just going by regular season record.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

There is no need for them to declare. This isn't like the other sports leagues where your value is set on ability alone. Too many variables for MLB to need players to declare.
    Even if you did have the system in place, teams would still have to pay the prospect what they felt they needed in order to get them to sign.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MrFortune3 View Post
    There is no need for them to declare. This isn't like the other sports leagues where your value is set on ability alone. Too many variables for MLB to need players to declare.
    Even if you did have the system in place, teams would still have to pay the prospect what they felt they needed in order to get them to sign.
    I disagree. A month of to see if you can get your price. Why? Declare yes or no. The Dance is played IMO.

I disagree. A month of to see if you can get your price. Why? Declare yes or no. The Dance is played IMO.

Teams know the number before they draft them. They hope to get them to come down from the number so they can sign others.
    If you know going in that a kid want 3 mil to sign, don't draft him if you only want to offer 1.5.

Thread Information