+ Reply to Thread

When do these guys get their Monument Park glory?

I’m sure the Yanks are taking a break after inducting the Core 4 a few years back, but I’m still amazed at a bunch of legends still on the outside looking in:

Hall of Famers: Just about all of the ones left that don’t fall into the category of “well he’s in for another franchise” like Dave Winfield and Rickey Henderson, are from the 1920s teams, so are they waiting on the Golden Anniversary for Waite Hoyt, Earle Combs and Herb Pennock to get Monument Park plaques added to their Cooperstown glory?

Paul O’Neill/Bernie Williams level of great stars and iconic Yankees, but not quite HOFers: Tommy Henrich, Hank Bauer, Roy White, Lou Piniella come to mind.

I’d ramble on about pitchers, but how about pre-save rule (1969) relief aces Johnny Murphy, Joe Page and Luis Arroyo? As well as Sparky Lyle and Dave Righetti from the early days of the closer being a thing?

Yeah I know at some point the plaques will start to shrink to make room, but still, there are a backlog of deserving names to get added to the Monument Park Roll Call.

NYYF Legend

Re: When do these guys get their Monument Park glory?

Sparky Lyle should have gotten a plaque years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Sparky Lyle should have gotten a plaque years ago.
    Lyle threw 137 innings in 1977. Can you imagine a pure reliever/closer throwing that many today?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Lyle threw 137 innings in 1977. Can you imagine a pure reliever/closer throwing that many today?
    And won the Cy Young Award. Was the main reason Yankees won game 4 against the Royals. Can you imagine any Yankees reliever, even Mo doing what Lyle did to win the last two games against the Royals and then game 1 against the Dodgers that season.

Thread Information