+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-hall-of-fame-ballot links to the Hall of Fame Ballot. It may sound easy to know if a player is "active" or retired, but Jose Valverde is a special case. He last played in MLB in 2014. Having not played in MLB for five years, he's eligible and on the ballot. Baseball-Reference still has him as active. When I tried correcting them, they said he's active because he plays in the Mexican League, which is affiliated with MLB. His performance in the Mexican League won't help his Hall of Fame chances, but I think a player should have to wait five years after his last game in any professional league to be on the ballot. Does anybody know if the Hall of Fame and/or BBWAA has a definition of "active," "retired," or anything related? In your opinion, should he be eligible yet?

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-hall-of-fame-ballot links to the Hall of Fame Ballot. It may sound easy to know if a player is "active" or retired, but Jose Valverde is a special case. He last played in MLB in 2014. Having not played in MLB for five years, he's eligible and on the ballot. Baseball-Reference still has him as active. When I tried correcting them, they said he's active because he plays in the Mexican League, which is affiliated with MLB. His performance in the Mexican League won't help his Hall of Fame chances, but I think a player should have to wait five years after his last game in any professional league to be on the ballot. Does anybody know if the Hall of Fame and/or BBWAA has a definition of "active," "retired," or anything related? In your opinion, should he be eligible yet?
    The rules are clear. Valverde is eligible, not that I think it matters a bit.
    3. Eligible Candidates -- Candidates to be eligible must meet the following requirements:

A. A baseball player must have been active as a player in the Major Leagues at some time during a period beginning fifteen (15) years before and ending five (5) years prior to election.

B. Player must have played in each of ten (10) Major League championship seasons, some part of which must have been within the period described in 3(A).

C. Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball.

Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

I don't know anything about this but I thought Rickey Henderson delayed his induction for years because he was still playing professional ball outside MLB. Is that a comp for the Valverde situation?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I don't know anything about this but I thought Rickey Henderson delayed his induction for years because he was still playing professional ball outside MLB. Is that a comp for the Valverde situation?
    Rickey played in MLB through 2003, and was inducted into the HOF in 2009.

Does 1994 count as a “championship season?” towards your 10? (I’m assuming it does) I’ve seen that term quite a bit lately and I’m a little fuzzy on what it actually means since there is a champion for every season, except, obviously that one.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The rules are clear. Valverde is eligible, not that I think it matters a bit.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Does 1994 count as a “championship season?” towards your 10? (I’m assuming it does) I’ve seen that term quite a bit lately and I’m a little fuzzy on what it actually means since there is a champion for every season, except, obviously that one.
    Regardless of how good he was, can anybody find a player who played in exactly ten seasons including 1994?

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    It just means regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Regardless of how good he was, can anybody find a player who played in exactly ten seasons including 1994?
    John Kruk. And he did it with only one ball.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    So you're saying he took his ball and went home?
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    He played more years with two than he did with one.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Hope is eternal

Marvin Miller finally gets in!
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

Hope is eternal

Ted Simmons joins him.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Marvin Miller finally gets in!
    Dammit, it's not a Hall of Fame without...wait, what?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Finally!

What is the issue with Lou Whitaker? Should've been in already (by the standards of the veterans committee), certainly should've been in ahead of any of the players on this ballot. I don't get it.

I have faith you'll find a new battle cry
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Buck O'Neil

Thread Information