+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Wants 2 be your latex salesman

Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Jeter and Mo own the record for being teammates the longest for all Hall of Fame members
    I wonder whose record they broke. Mickey and Whitey maybe?
    Finalist in "Summarize Proust" competition, lost to the girl with the biggest ---

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I wonder whose record they broke. Mickey and Whitey maybe?
    Sounds very possible

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Maybe he could go in as a member of NYYFans!
    Shilling will get one vote from the Boss. (19 years mostly NL (average HOF stats?) plus he is a terrible baseball anchor)

Congratulations to Jeter Love the #2 jersey

Brett Anderson wins the internet.

I hope Jeter sends a gift basket to the 1 person that didn’t vote for him.
    https://twitter.com/_banderson30_/st...437021185?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I don't like the guy either, but he was one of the most dominant pitchers of his generation. He won 3 WS and I believe finished 2nd in CY voting on three different occasions. Like you said - if Moose got in, he should get in.
    He finished second twice and third once. Those were also the only real Hall of Fame seasons of his career. Comparing him with Mussina just means comparing him with someone who I think is a borderline pick anyway. Schilling wasn't one of the most dominant pitchers of his generation before the age of 34, and he was done being dominant at age 37.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Death Star Fully Operational

I wonder if that one voter will come forward or will he/she remain silent and gutless.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He finished second twice and third once. Those were also the only real Hall of Fame seasons of his career. Comparing him with Mussina just means comparing him with someone who I think is a borderline pick anyway. Schilling wasn't one of the most dominant pitchers of his generation before the age of 34, and he was done being dominant at age 37.
    I realize you don't respect the Hall because they are yet to enshrine Marvin Miller. However, Moose amassed an 82.8 WAR, which places him 29th out of the 65 pitchers currently in Cooperstown. His career ERA+ of 123 places him 38th out of those 65 pitchers, and he pitched to a .638 Winning percentage (270 wins) in the American League East entirely in the steroid era.

at the notion he was a borderline pick (obviously he wasn't a first ballot HOFer because he didn't score enough black ink points).

Schilling will get in one day, but the writers are having too much fun twisting the knife in his back he so gleefully handed them.

Of course, imagine if Baltimore doesn't trade Schilling along with Pete Harnisch and Steve Finley for Glenn freakin Davis.

I mean, I get why Schilling was traded a lot, but damn.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Wants 2 be your latex salesman

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I realize you don't respect the Hall because they are yet to enshrine Marvin Miller.
    Actually he just got named by whatever they call the old "Veterans Committee."
    Finalist in "Summarize Proust" competition, lost to the girl with the biggest ---

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Everyone does better on the pre-announcement public ballots than they do overall. Last year Schilling was at 70% before the official announcement, and finished at 61%. Bonds was 71% and finished at 59%, and Clemens was similar to him.
    Thanks. You were right. It was 8-10% higher than actual. This was the first time (watched Jeter) I used the public ballots tracker. (they are saying Shilling will get in next year on MLBN but just happy for Jeter. I have a picture with with me wearing my #2 jersey, at #2 Bronze
    plaque at Monument Park.

NYYF Legend

So Jeter does end up with the highest percentage for a position player. He should hold that record at least until Trout is eligible. On a side note good to see that Andy got enough votes to stay on the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    So Jeter does end up with the highest percentage for a position player. He should hold that record at least until Trout is eligible. On a side note good to see that Andy got enough votes to stay on the ballot.
    I guess we'll see ... looks like Trout is getting outed as a PED guy, which should not surprise anyone even one little tiny bit ... but by the time his career is done maybe the voters will officially be past caring about PEDs.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I guess we'll see ... looks like Trout is getting outed as a PED guy, which should not surprise anyone even one little tiny bit ... but by the time his career is done maybe the voters will officially be past caring about PEDs.
    What..

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I guess we'll see ... looks like Trout is getting outed as a PED guy, which should not surprise anyone even one little tiny bit .
    That was nonsense, and the claim that he had an exemption to use HGH was explicitly refuted by the league which stated no such exemption has ever been granted for any player.

If you believe the twitterverse, and it is the twitterverse so take it with a grain of salt, the Jeter dissenter was a Chicago beat writer named Dave Williams. In addition to not voting for Jeter, he actually did vote for guys like Jose Valverde and Adam Dunn..

Now again, if this is true, and I say it with a HUGE IF, this guy has to lose his vote. Anyone who thinks that Adam Dunn and Jose Valverde are HOFers and Derek Jeter is not either has no concept of baseball whatsoever, or they have an agenda/want their 15 minutes of fame. In either case a voter like that should not be participating..

As for Trout, I think we ought to get that detail out as well. Apparently Scott Brosius's son (I think) tweeted out that Trout had a therapeutic (medical) exception for HGH from MLB. MLB has since come out and said there were no exemptions given for HGH without naming any names.
    So take that for what it is worth, but there does not seem to be a whole lot of smoke here right now. I suspect if Trout was really on anyone's hit list it would be making the same sort of headlines that the cheating scandals are.. So I doubt any real veracity here right now..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    If you believe the twitterverse, and it is the twitterverse so take it with a grain of salt, the Jeter dissenter was a Chicago beat writer named Dave Williams.
    Fake. The writer in question is not a hall of fame voter. He just circulates a fake ballot every year to get people worked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Fake. The writer in question is not a hall of fame voter. He just circulates a fake ballot every year to get people worked up.

Ahh thank you for clearing that up, much appreciated..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Say what you want about Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera but unless there is actual evidence they used PEDs both should enter as unanimous picks. Heck Griffey Jr. should have been unanimous.

As for Andy he’s an admitted PED user with a borderline HOF career.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Unless we see a "Why I didn't vote for Derek Jeter" article in the next 24 hours, that voter will remain anonymous. Voters have the option whether or not to make their ballots public, so if the voter isn't trying to capitalize on the publicity, more than likely they hope their name never gets out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Say what you want about Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera but unless there is actual evidence they used PEDs both should enter as unanimous picks. Heck Griffey Jr. should have been unanimous.

As for Andy he’s an admitted PED user with a borderline HOF career.
    Willie Mays and Hank Aaron should have been unanimous. For that matter how were Cobb and Ruth not unanimous.

NYYF Legend

Willie Mays and Hank Aaron should have been unanimous. For that matter how were Cobb and Ruth not unanimous.
    It took Joe Dimaggio three tries to get in...voters are stupid

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14 View Post
    It took Joe Dimaggio three tries to get in...voters are stupid
    Took Ford two tries to get in.

NYYF Legend

Yeah there should have been a lot of unanimous Hall Of Fame entrants. That it took what 80 some odd years for someone to enter the Hall unanimous is pretty ridiculous.

But now that someone has done it an precedent has been set, there is not reason why sure fire hall of famers should not enter with 100% support from voters without good reason.

There are a lot of debatable hall entrants that some think should be in and other think should be out. There are others like the 4 you mention and a number of others who should pretty much be rubber stamped in when eligible. Had Bonds and Clemens not had needles sticking out of their butts those 2 should have been unanimous inductees even if they were not model personalities.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Yeah there should have been a lot of unanimous Hall Of Fame entrants. That it took what 80 some odd years for someone to enter the Hall unanimous is pretty ridiculous.

But now that someone has done it an precedent has been set, there is not reason why sure fire hall of famers should not enter with 100% support from voters without good reason.

There are a lot of debatable hall entrants that some think should be in and other think should be out. There are others like the 4 you mention and a number of others who should pretty much be rubber stamped in when eligible. Had Bonds and Clemens not had needles sticking out of their butts those 2 should have been unanimous inductees even if they were not model personalities.
    You would think that is now true. But then one voter does not vote for Jeter. Not a big deal but sure would love to know the reason. I assume Trout would be unanimous but you never know.

Jeter's in. I don’t really care if it was unanimous or not.

The whole unanimous thing is stupid. The guy who didn't vote for Jeter probably did so because he didn't want two straight years of someone getting inducted unanimously, like it's supposed to be special... but the issue is really that there should already be like at least 30 players who have been inducted unanimously.

Thread Information