+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 92
  1. #26

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don’t think Simmons ever had a reputation as a good defensive catcher.

    I'm not a big fan of electing guys who already had 10 (or 15) years on the ballot.
    I'm increasingly apathetic to the HOF for a variety of reasons, but I completely agree with your point. Ted Simmons and Hal Baines were very good major league baseball players, no doubt. But they were never considered HOF worthy during or after their careers. Why are they getting in now?

    I loved Munson and Mattingly but neither were quite HOF caliber and I'm fine with that. Frankly, Graig Nettles probably had a better career than either of them and he's never come close and while I don't know why he didn't get more support than he did, I am fine with him not in either.

    It's like they are re-writing history or something getting these guys who never came close in years after the fact for some random reason.

  2. #27
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...LD8BEbKmTajwcI has results from 150 ballots and estimates there will be 412, in which case 309 are needed for election. Jeter is unanimous so far, and the released ballots also have Walker (84.7%), Schilling (80%), and Bonds (75.3%) getting in, with Clemens (74.0%) just short. The only other candidate at 50% or higher is exactly 50% for Rolen. Five others have at least one-third, with seventh through eleventh being Vizquel (46.7%), Sheffield (38.7%), Helton (36.0%), Ramirez (35.3%), and Wagner (exactly 1/3rd).

  3. #28
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Schilling getting in would give me a new reason to refuse to recognize the HOF.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Schilling getting in would give me a new reason to refuse to recognize the HOF.
    It will easily be the most insufferable acceptance speech to date.

  5. #30
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    It will easily be the most insufferable acceptance speech to date.
    Will he ride a dinosaur to his acceptance speech?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  6. #31

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Looks like Jeter will go in, either just with Larry Walker or alone. Schilling looks to be short again.


    https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

  7. #32
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Looks like Jeter will go in, either just with Larry Walker or alone. Schilling looks to be short again.


    https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    WOW. Interesting to see Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens at 71% and 72%. (I don't want to see Schillings get in but he's at 78% at 52% ballots)

  8. #33

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    WOW. Interesting to see Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens at 71% and 72%. (I don't want to see Schillings get in but he's at 78% at 52% ballots)
    Everyone does better on the pre-announcement public ballots than they do overall. Last year Schilling was at 70% before the official announcement, and finished at 61%. Bonds was 71% and finished at 59%, and Clemens was similar to him.

  9. #34
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Schilling getting in would give me a new reason to refuse to recognize the HOF.
    You think he doesn't deserve to be in the HoF? I'd like to see your baseball-related argument.

  10. #35

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    You think he doesn't deserve to be in the HoF? I'd like to see your baseball-related argument.
    Personally I hate the guy and the last thing I want to do is look at his stats.

    But off the top of my head, I think the baseball-related argument is that he falls short because he was a late bloomer and his period of dominance wasn't as long as it could have / should have been. The comp for him was always Mussina, and Mussina is in, so that would be a mark in his favor. He has a very strong post-season resume and that is also in his favor.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    You think he doesn't deserve to be in the HoF? I'd like to see your baseball-related argument.
    I think with Mussina in it's hard to make a real good baseball argument against him. If you do it comes down to only 216 Ws which would be one of the lower totals for a starting pitcher in the Hall.


    That said I really hope he doesn't go in the same year as Jeter because he's a huge D-bag in every sense of the word outside baseball.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  12. #37
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Personally I hate the guy and the last thing I want to do is look at his stats.

    But off the top of my head, I think the baseball-related argument is that he falls short because he was a late bloomer and his period of dominance wasn't as long as it could have / should have been. The comp for him was always Mussina, and Mussina is in, so that would be a mark in his favor. He has a very strong post-season resume and that is also in his favor.
    I don't like the guy either, but he was one of the most dominant pitchers of his generation. He won 3 WS and I believe finished 2nd in CY voting on three different occasions. Like you said - if Moose got in, he should get in.

  13. #38
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I don't like the guy either, but he was one of the most dominant pitchers of his generation. He won 3 WS and I believe finished 2nd in CY voting on three different occasions. Like you said - if Moose got in, he should get in.
    He'll get in soon enough. Had he not been such a colossal d bag in the social media age, he'd probably have got in before Moose, actually.

    Not worth losing sleep over.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

  14. #39

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Schilling deserves to be in. However, he is definitely hampered by his anti-media tirades. It would take a very forgiving writer to look past his comments in social media. Boston media isn't exactly known for their generosity, so good luck changing that many votes back outside of the home market.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

  15. #40
    NYYF Cy Young

    Roberto Kelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    If elected, maybe schilling will go in as an astro
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

  16. #41
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Kelly View Post
    If elected, maybe schilling will go in as an astro
    Maybe he could go in as a member of NYYFans!

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  17. #42

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Maybe he could go in as a member of NYYFans!
    Not many forums could say that!

  18. #43

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    I don't care about unanimous or not, but c'mon, 1 guy had to hold back. Sheesh. Congrats to Jeter, congrats to Walker.

  19. #44
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    One voter left Jeter off the ballot. Don’t know who it was. So Mo is still the only unanimous inductee.
    Let the kids play.

  20. #45
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    One voter left Jeter off the ballot. Don’t know who it was. So Mo is still the only unanimous inductee.
    Forever known as being “that guy”
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  21. #46
    Death Star Fully Operational
    Join Date
    Jan 2004

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    One voter left Jeter off the ballot. Don’t know who it was. So Mo is still the only unanimous inductee.
    This whole unanimous inductee thing is so stupid! I hope that one voter is ostracize for his stupidity.

  22. #47
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Someone get Gammons a cough drop.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  23. #48

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    One voter left Jeter off the ballot. Don’t know who it was. So Mo is still the only unanimous inductee.
    Jeter has the second highest vote percentage behind Mariano. I think he can live with that.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  24. #49
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Will Derek go in as a Marlin?
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

  25. #50
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

    Jeter and Mo own the record for being teammates the longest for all Hall of Fame members

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts