+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Most over-used sports page words.


    Narrative would be #1. No longer merely a term for literary critics. Now it seems to have developed--since its rise in the 1990s--into a word with unpleasant connotations, suggesting some sort of evasion of truth in the direction of a pursuit of self-interest.



    Then awesome. Each has had its fundamental meaning trivialized, with awesome probably suffering most of all--Moses seeing the burning bush, now that was awesome. Not a leaping catch by Mike Trout. I hear it most often on MLB radio (and, of course, near high schools at lunch hour).


    Then the expression generational talent. We'll hear it a lot on Yankee boards as Jasson Dominguez begins his MiL career.



    And what would sports broadcasters do--especially on, again, MLB Radio--without ton, as in "There's a ton of things we could say about this." One thing, though, we could say would be that Red Smith wouldn't have used "ton" to mean "several" or a "lot," or "a number of."

  2. #2
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Most over-used sports page words.


    Narrative would be #1. No longer merely a term for literary critics. Now it seems to have developed--since its rise in the 1990s--into a word with unpleasant connotations, suggesting some sort of evasion of truth in the direction of a pursuit of self-interest.



    Then awesome. Each has had its fundamental meaning trivialized, with awesome probably suffering most of all--Moses seeing the burning bush, now that was awesome. Not a leaping catch by Mike Trout. I hear it most often on MLB radio (and, of course, near high schools at lunch hour).


    Then the expression generational talent. We'll hear it a lot on Yankee boards as Jasson Dominguez begins his MiL career.



    And what would sports broadcasters do--especially on, again, MLB Radio--without ton, as in "There's a ton of things we could say about this." One thing, though, we could say would be that Red Smith wouldn't have used "ton" to mean "several" or a "lot," or "a number of."
    "The winning run steps to the plate in the person of so-and-so."

  3. #3
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    [CENTER]
    Then awesome. Each has had its fundamental meaning trivialized, with awesome probably suffering most of all--Moses seeing the burning bush, now that was awesome. Not a leaping catch by Mike Trout. I hear it most often on MLB radio (and, of course, near high schools at lunch hour).
    You hang out near high schools at lunch hour?


    Mine is athleticism. A phony, made-up word (allegedly it dates to the 19th century but I guess people were smart enough not to use it until about 30 years ago). An "-ism" is a philosophy, a religious belief, a practice, etc., it's not proficiency at something. (Judaism, feminism, cronyism) I guess we need "athleticism" because "athletic ability" is just too hard to say. All those syllables!
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  4. #4
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    "Quality." All it means is "good." "A quality at-bat."

    Though if you really want to improve your team with a mid season pickup, it might not be enough to add a "quality" hitter. You probably want an "impact" hitter.

  5. #5
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Cashman drives me crazy with his buzz phrases during interviews. Last time I heard him he must have referred to "checking the boxes" six or more times "by the end of the day."
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

  6. #6

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Scouts are drooling....

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    "Quality." All it means is "good." "A quality at-bat."

    Though if you really want to improve your team with a mid season pickup, it might not be enough to add a "quality" hitter. You probably want an "impact" hitter.
    Quality Start - it equates to a BOTR starterís ERA.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    "Quality." All it means is "good." "A quality at-bat."

    Though if you really want to improve your team with a mid season pickup, it might not be enough to add a "quality" hitter. You probably want an "impact" hitter.
    It doesn't even mean "good."

    Quality is a characteristic that can be good or bad: "High-quality", "low-quality", "inconsistent quality". To say "quality at-bat" is like saying "temperature day" when you mean it is hot, or "velocity pitch" when you mean it is fast.

    Makes no dang sense.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    "Professional hitter." Every time I hear this one, I think of their salaries and mutter, "I certainly hope so."

  10. #10
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Cashman drives me crazy with his buzz phrases during interviews. Last time I heard him he must have referred to "checking the boxes" six or more times "by the end of the day."

    As the Hollywood Mogul, Sam Goldwyn, once said, We need some new cliches!

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    As the Hollywood Mogul, Sam Goldwyn, once said, We need some new cliches!
    The Yankees are budgetarily challenged.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  12. #12
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    You hang out near high schools at lunch hour?


    Mine is athleticism. A phony, made-up word (allegedly it dates to the 19th century but I guess people were smart enough not to use it until about 30 years ago). An "-ism" is a philosophy, a religious belief, a practice, etc., it's not proficiency at something. (Judaism, feminism, cronyism) I guess we need "athleticism" because "athletic ability" is just too hard to say. All those syllables!

    Yes, or you could say of a player "he's very athletic." Or ...an excellent athlete. The -ism is supposed to add some sort of high-end veneer.


    I'd add to the tiresome words or phrases: "generational talent."

  13. #13

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    I'm not sure anyone can top the buzz phrase John Smoltz used in one pre-game analysis I watched. I don't remember the teams, but John actually said that one of the keys for Team X to win was to 'control the scoreboard'. By which I think he meant that they should really try to get the lead, and then keep it...

  14. #14
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Cashman drives me crazy with his buzz phrases during interviews. Last time I heard him he must have referred to "checking the boxes" six or more times "by the end of the day."
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  15. #15
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Did George use these tiresome sportsy cliches? I can't remember.


    Apart from cliches there is one thing that drives me nuts. Using "went" when "gone" is demanded. Joe had went from first to second when he broke his ankle. I see (and hear) this curious error all over nowadays, but my suspicion is it had its source among ballplayers.


  16. #16
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Apart from cliches there is one thing that drives me nuts. Using "went" when "gone" is demanded. Joe had went from first to second when he broke his ankle. I see (and hear) this curious error all over nowadays, but my suspicion is it had its source among ballplayers.
    Girardi used that one constantly and it drove me nuts every single time

  17. #17

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    "Due Diligence" is an expression that has come into vogue that amuses me. I always wonder who came up with that one?

    I think the first sports related person I heard use that expression was Fred Wilpon.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  18. #18
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    "Due Diligence" is an expression that has come into vogue that amuses me. I always wonder who came up with that one?

    I think the first sports related person I heard use that expression was Fred Wilpon.
    'Due diligence' is a phrase that has been used in legal and business circles forever. For example, the detailed analysis of the health of a potential acquisition between contract and execution constitutes 'due diligence' by the acquirer and is a legal obligation to the shareholders.

    The migration of the phrase to the acquisition of a ballplayer should not really be a surprise considering the magnitude of the numbers. Major league baseball is big business as we all know. Wilpon probably learned it from Madoff, where Wilpon should really have exercised some.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  19. #19

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    'Due diligence' is a phrase that has been used in legal and business circles forever. For example, the detailed analysis of the health of a potential acquisition between contract and execution constitutes 'due diligence' by the acquirer and is a legal obligation to the shareholders.

    The migration of the phrase to the acquisition of a ballplayer should not really be a surprise considering the magnitude of the numbers. Major league baseball is big business as we all know. Wilpon probably learned it from Madoff, where Wilpon should really have exercised some.
    And MLB in their infinite wisdom put Wilpon in charge of their executive financial committee. I guess they never heard about Madoff and Wilpon? Now that's a lack of due diligence.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  20. #20
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    'Due diligence' is a phrase that has been used in legal and business circles forever. For example, the detailed analysis of the health of a potential acquisition between contract and execution constitutes 'due diligence' by the acquirer and is a legal obligation to the shareholders.

    The migration of the phrase to the acquisition of a ballplayer should not really be a surprise considering the magnitude of the numbers. Major league baseball is big business as we all know. Wilpon probably learned it from Madoff, where Wilpon should really have exercised some.

    Law probably added a "due" to the large number of "diligences" mention in the Bible (e.g., Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also"--There's lots of these, and the due was a natural add-on). Now, as you say, we're seeing it all over the joint.

  21. #21
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Law probably added a "due" to the large number of "diligences" mention in the Bible (e.g., Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also"--There's lots of these, and the due was a natural add-on). Now, as you say, we're seeing it all over the joint.
    Or maybe those were put in by King James' lawyers.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  22. #22
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    I think I'm about done with "next man up." It's everywhere now.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Ridiculous Sports Page and Broadcasting Words

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I think I'm about done with "next man up." It's everywhere now.
    Let's hope the Yankees are done with it next year, and everyone just stays healthy.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts