+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 23 24 25 26
    NYYF Legend

Re: Astros cheating investigation

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    Probably wont happen...but it would be glorious if they collapse under the weight of this.
    85win team this season. I'm hoping. And Verlander gets hit hard and regularly lol.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I have a proposal for additional punishment for the Astros (and Red Sox, if it is found that they cheated as well).

For one game each series, the pitcher must inform the batter what pitch is being thrown - if the pitcher does not throw that pitch (i.e. - he declares FB, but throws off-speed), it is an automatic ball. However, if the batter hits the improperly declared pitch and gets a hit, the hit stands; if he makes an out, it is a ball and he is still at bat with no out made.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I have a proposal for additional punishment for the Astros (and Red Sox, if it is found that they cheated as well).

For one game each series, the pitcher must inform the batter what pitch is being thrown - if the pitcher does not throw that pitch (i.e. - he declares FB, but throws off-speed), it is an automatic ball. However, if the batter hits the improperly declared pitch and gets a hit, the hit stands; if he makes an out, it is a ball and he is still at bat with no out made.
    I get the desire to extract a price from them on the field in the literal sense, but altering the actual game mechanics further isn't the right way to do it IMHO. The right way to do it, which unfortunately ain't happening, is player suspensions.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I get the desire to extract a price from them on the field in the literal sense, but altering the actual game mechanics further isn't the right way to do it IMHO. The right way to do it, which unfortunately ain't happening, is player suspensions.
    I was being facetious with the suggestion - in fact, I fully expected "why not every game" responses. I KNOW that the suggestion would "alter the actual game mechanics" and MLB would never effect such a change - still, it would be nice for the cheaters to feel what their actions were line.

As for player suspensions, it would never happen. Had MLB not granted them immunity, their investigation would have essentially been stopped in it's footsteps. No player, current or former Astro, would have said anything other than "no comment" if any admission would result in their receiving a suspension.

I would also point out that Manfred made the on-field manager and general manager responsible for eliminating this type of behavior - the simple fact is that those two individuals COMPLETELY FAILED in their responsibility.

Should other players have been more vocal - no doubt, but how do we know that some of those players weren't vocal, but shouted down by others? Should those individuals who did not want the information passed to them be guilty by association?

It is a tough situation and we can agree to disagree - I am on the side that the players should not be suspended, but I can certainly understand those voices that espouse such an opinion.

BTW - originally, I was one voice that claimed that the fear of the MLBPA was a large part in the decision to not prosecute the players. Last week, on MLB Radio, Faye Vincent made the point that the MLBPA tends to leave "on field discipline" to MLB, so now I wonder if there would have been a big fight had any players been suspended.

They need to vacate the title and MVP for me.

Just leave it blank in the record books with an * denoting what happened.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    They need to vacate the title and MVP for me.

Just leave it blank in the record books with an * denoting what happened.
    Are you also willing to vacate the 1951 NY Giants NL pennant & Mays’ ROY?

They need to be drilled by opposing pitchers and have few of their asses kicked in the subsequent brawls.

That's the justice I want to see.

NYYF Legend

https://stream.org/mlb-cheating-scandal-brian-mccann/

McCann, now retired, was not only a huge part of that Houston team, but started all seven games of that Astros-Dodgers fall classic. Yet even after MLB issued a report that led to the firings of three managers, McCann has remained silent.

I lived in Atlanta back in 2013. I vividly remember McCann seizing the role of baseball’s “enforcer of professionalism,” as Moore put it.

“Mostly, McCann resembles [Hall of Fame catcher Carlton] Fisk in his quest to have as many of his peers as possible (OK, all of them) respect a game that has been around professionally since the end of the Civil War,” Moore wrote. “The key word here is ‘professionally.'”

During that 2013 season, McCann was involved in a string of high-profile confrontations with players who allegedly didn’t “respect the game,” at least as McCann saw it. Carlos Gómez, Bryce Harper and the late José Fernández were three of the players in McCann’s path, which was literally blocked by the angry Atlanta Braves catcher in Gómez’s case.
    As news of the scandal punishments broke, Athletic writer David O’Brien, who covers the Braves, tweeted that “McCann is not commenting on the matter.”

“And McCann would be about the last to comment on such a matter concerning a former team,” O’Brien added.

What? McCann screamed at players when he thought baseball’s unwritten rules were being violated. He even blocked one from crossing home plate. Now, in the wake of the only championship team he ever played on being accused of breaking the actual rules, McCann is out playing golf?
    “I don’t think that’s a part of the game of baseball,” McCann said of Gómez’s home run trot in Moore’s 2013 article.

Neither is allegedly cheating to win World Series games, Brian. Until you answer tough questions about what you saw, heard and possibly participated in as a member of the Houston Astros, you should stay on the golf course and away from baseball diamonds.

“Where’s Brian McCann today … where is he?” sports talk radio stalwart Chris Russo said of McCann last week on MLB Network. “What a fraud.”

Unless McCann summons the courage to speak up with the same integrity he once demanded of opposing players, I agree.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Cy Young

Lot of props to Doggy. He called out McCann big time and verlander
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

NYYF Legend

astros-players-cheated-baseball-wanted-answers-so-they-made-a-deal

Interesting article in the WSJ about the player immunity.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    astros-players-cheated-baseball-wanted-answers-so-they-made-a-deal

Interesting article in the WSJ about the player immunity.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    MLB may as well congratulate the players for not robbing a back because management didn’t tell them that is wrong.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Thread Information