+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Astros cheating investigation

A whole article about how the Nationals had suspicions and changed everything up to thwart the Astros cheating.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...dce_story.html

Also, this is just maddening. I remember how negative we were as fans that the Astros had a team of guys who "didn't strike out" and "put the ball in play when it counted", which fans then reflected back onto the Yankees players and FO. Turns out it might have all been a product of cheating.

There is some circumstantial evidence that something was up with the Astros. In 2016, their hitters struck out 23.4 percent of the time, the fourth-highest rate in the game. In 2017, the year The Athletic report said the camera was installed, that rate dropped to 17.3 percent, the lowest in baseball.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

“Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    It’s becoming a meme at this point

NYYF Legend

I know I've asked on this board before, but how'd you get that tweet to post?

I know I've asked on this board before, but how'd you get that tweet to post?
    You need to be on the mobile or desktop twitter website, not the app. Then you’ll see a downward facing arrow next to the Twitter user’s name. Click that, and it’ll say “embed Tweet”. Click that, and copy the code. Paste it in here.

NYYF Legend

NYYF Legend

I'm probably one of the more tech savvy people on this board, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Also, this is just maddening. I remember how negative we were as fans that the Astros had a team of guys who "didn't strike out" and "put the ball in play when it counted", which fans then reflected back onto the Yankees players and FO. Turns out it might have all been a product of cheating.
    Also how much did cheating by the Astros (and Red Sox) mess with the head of Luis Severino?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    Mike Francesa is one of those idiots, he was making the same case lol.
    That figures. I am good with people who don’t understand and are open minded enough to listen and learn. There are some that just don’t want to know the truth.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Wants 2 be your latex salesman

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/p...g-accusations/

Gausman's take is interesting. Wonder how many borderline pitchers might have gotten sent down or DFA'd because of a pounding in Houston.
    Finalist in "Summarize Proust" competition, lost to the girl with the biggest ---

NYYF Legend

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/4193684002/

The Major League Baseball general managers slowly trickled out through the resort courtyard late Thursday morning to catch rides to the airport, talking and laughing with one another, giving their best Thanksgiving wishes, and promising to catch up on the phone.

One GM stood off to the side, obscured by the tall bushes towards the check-in desk, not talking to a soul.

Jeff Luhnow, general manager of the Houston Astros, was the man everyone was talking about at these annual General Manager Meetings, but for all of the wrong reasons.

There may be 30 different agendas at these meetings, but this time, virtually all were united on one front.

They want to see the Astros go down.

And go down hard.

The Los Angeles Dodgers, who lost to the Astros in seven games in the 2017 World Series, are convinced more than ever than the Astros cheated. They closely reviewed tapes of Yu Darvish’s starts in Game 3 and Game 7. He was rocked in both starts, lasting just 1 ⅔ innings in each start, yielding a 21.60 ERA in the World Series. He faced a total of 22 batters, and didn’t have a single strikeout, generating only four swing-and-misses out of his 96 pitches, and had a .474 batting average against.

The Dodgers knew something was amiss, and heard the Astros boasting after the World Series that that Darvish was tipping his pitches. Darvish acknowledged the same during the winter.

One problem.

The Dodgers, after studying the video, said there are no signs at all that Darvish tipped his pitches. They couldn’t find a single time when he openly displayed a tendency to let the Astros know what pitch was coming.

“They would do it in different ways,’’ one executive said. “If they weren’t banging on the pipes, they would disguise it by yelling out from the dugout. If they called your first name, it was a fastball. If they called you by your late name, it was a breaking ball.

“And there’s no way they could pick that up unless they had a live feed off the TV cameras.’’
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    A whole article about how the Nationals had suspicions and changed everything up to thwart the Astros cheating.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...dce_story.html

Who knew it's easier to make contact when you know what's coming?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

The advantage of knowing whether an offspeed pitch is coming or not is ludicrous. It's like knowing what plays are coming in football or what your opponent's hand is in poker. The more I learn about this the more I think a lifetime ban is necessary. Remember, MLB already warned teams after the "apple watch" incident and investigated the Astros once. During that initial investigation, did the people interviewed on the astros lie? Crime + coverup = lifetime ban. I also want to see the players suspended-they should not be able to go with the "following orders" defense. They are adults and should have to take responsibility for their actions. The question is whether the integrity of the game still matters or if the MLB wants this to just go away.

NYYF Legend

NYYF Legend

Alex Cora was the Astros' bench coach in 2017 & the Red Sox manager in 2018. hmmmm…

The Houston club should change their name: The Houston Cheatin' Bass Studs
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

This situation needs to end with some very serious punishment.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    This situation needs to end with some very serious punishment.
    All road games next year.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripeDynasty View Post
    All road games next year.
    Ironically all their WS wins were on the road.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    The advantage of knowing whether an offspeed pitch is coming or not is ludicrous. It's like knowing what plays are coming in football or what your opponent's hand is in poker. The more I learn about this the more I think a lifetime ban is necessary. Remember, MLB already warned teams after the "apple watch" incident and investigated the Astros once. During that initial investigation, did the people interviewed on the astros lie? Crime + coverup = lifetime ban. I also want to see the players suspended-they should not be able to go with the "following orders" defense. They are adults and should have to take responsibility for their actions. The question is whether the integrity of the game still matters or if the MLB wants this to just go away.
    :applause:

NYYF Triple Crown

I think this is a very serious scandal and the MLB is going to have to punish some participants severely or face a very bad backlash against the sport. Unfortunately, I fear that they may minimize it or just hand out some slaps on the wrist to scapegoats. I think appropriate suspensions of managers, including Beltran and Cora and Hinch for long periods of time--months would be appropriate, assuming there is sufficient proof of their involvement. Loss of draft positions for multiple years, maybe even a one year ban from post season play for the Astros (and the Red Sox if there is enough proof) would be appropriate. Will we see this? don't hold your breath
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I think this is a very serious scandal and the MLB is going to have to punish some participants severely or face a very bad backlash against the sport. Unfortunately, I fear that they may minimize it or just hand out some slaps on the wrist to scapegoats. I think appropriate suspensions of managers, including Beltran and Cora and Hinch for long periods of time--months would be appropriate, assuming there is sufficient proof of their involvement. Loss of draft positions for multiple years, maybe even a one year ban from post season play for the Astros (and the Red Sox if there is enough proof) would be appropriate. Will we see this? don't hold your breath
    It needs to be much worse than that. Hinch and Cora considering their authority in the clubhouse need to be BANNED from the sport. Beltran? He was a player, so he survives. The 2017 roster should be suspended for a certain number of games - across the board, wherever they are currently playing in MLB because they either benefited from the fraud or didn't come forward with the truth. I guess they can stagger the suspensions so they don't have to send 5 guys out onto the field to cover the whole diamond.

NYYF Legend

It’s nothing new. This has been going on for over 100 years. The level of sophistication has just improved.

But I do agree so serious penalties are in order for any team, not just Houston, that gets caught doing it. It’s the only way to discourage it.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    It’s nothing new. This has been going on for over 100 years. The level of sophistication has just improved.

But I do agree so serious penalties are in order for any team, not just Houston, that gets caught doing it. It’s the only way to discourage it.
    Right, but it would appear that two years ago Houston won a World Series doing it. They're ripe for MLB to step on their neck. Draft picks and fines aren't enough. You have to send a message through the MLBPA that lets the players know they're going to be suspended in addition to whatever the league decides to levy on the billionaire team owner.

NYYF Legend

Right, but it would appear that two years ago Houston won a World Series doing it. They're ripe for MLB to step on their neck. Draft picks and fines aren't enough. You have to send a message through the MLBPA that lets the players know they're going to be suspended in addition to whatever the league decides to levy on the billionaire team owner.
    Yeah, not gonna happen, Pipe dream.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information