+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Death Star Fully Operational

Re: 2019-2020 New York Knicks

It looks like the Knicks might not make a bad trade for one of those cost prohibitive super stars. IMO, that's a good thing. If you're going to rebuild this team then do it the right way by acquiring young assets and coaching them up so you can establish a good foundation. Once that happens and you start changing the culture then pursue a superstar or two to take you to the next level. Right now, they're too far away for such acquisitions.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It looks like the Knicks might not make a bad trade for one of those cost prohibitive super stars. IMO, that's a good thing. If you're going to rebuild this team then do it the right way by acquiring young assets and coaching them up so you can establish a good foundation. Once that happens and you start changing the culture then pursue a superstar or two to take you to the next level. Right now, they're too far away for such acquisitions.
    Yeah, I'm still a bit concerned about Westbrook, but it doesn't seem like they are going to go overboard at least. They are doing a good job about not telegraphing their strategy - I have no idea who they will take tomorrow

I think the Knicks did alright in the draft. I wanted Toppin, but didn't think he would drop down to them. I think Knicks fans are going to fall in love with him. I watched him play last season before the Covid stuff took over and he was very impressive. Quickley is a guard that is really good defensively and has an outside shot. The Knicks assembled a damn good coaching staff that has a reputation for developing players so they chose two players they probably targeted on their draft board that fits their plans.

Free agency or more potential trades should be interesting in the next few weeks. Training camp opens in 12 freaking days.

NYYF Cy Young

I think the Knicks did alright in the draft. I wanted Toppin, but didn't think he would drop down to them. I think Knicks fans are going to fall in love with him. I watched him play last season before the Covid stuff took over and he was very impressive. Quickley is a guard that is really good defensively and has an outside shot. The Knicks assembled a damn good coaching staff that has a reputation for developing players so they chose two players they probably targeted on their draft board that fits their plans.

Free agency or more potential trades should be interesting in the next few weeks. Training camp opens in 12 freaking days.
    I hope you're right. I think Toppin is going to struggle defensively, and have questions about where he'll fit and how they are constructing this roster. I would have rather they drafted a guy like Vassell, who seems a more complete player to me and someone that would fill multiple needs. And, from everything I've read, Quickley seems like an overreach at 25, and I am concerned that the Kentucky connections made them overvalue a guy who would have been available much later.

We'll see. A lot has to happen in the next month, and it's going to be hard for a team like the Knicks - young, new coach and probably a lot of new players - to be a cohesive unit at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    I hope you're right. I think Toppin is going to struggle defensively, and have questions about where he'll fit and how they are constructing this roster. I would have rather they drafted a guy like Vassell, who seems a more complete player to me and someone that would fill multiple needs. And, from everything I've read, Quickley seems like an overreach at 25, and I am concerned that the Kentucky connections made them overvalue a guy who would have been available much later.

We'll see. A lot has to happen in the next month, and it's going to be hard for a team like the Knicks - young, new coach and probably a lot of new players - to be a cohesive unit at the start.
    You do realize that Thibodeauís expertise is defense so I think Toppin will become much better defensively than he was beforehand. As to Quickly, he might be overreached, but he could be a diamond in the rough that is better than most sports media types are saying right now.

As to the Knicks team this season, I just want to see some progress this year in which some players take a step forward in their development and production. Also being better defensively as a team as they were horrible for years in that regard.

NYYF Cy Young

You do realize that Thibodeauís expertise is defense so I think Toppin will become much better defensively than he was beforehand. As to Quickly, he might be overreached, but he could be a diamond in the rough that is better than most sports media types are saying right now.

As to the Knicks team this season, I just want to see some progress this year in which some players take a step forward in their development and production. Also being better defensively as a team as they were horrible for years in that regard.
    Of course, but part a large part of his defensive challenges are physical, which will be hard to teach away... e.g. (and this is a very positive review of him):

He'll have to be in order to make up for his defensive shortcomings, though. Toppin is too small to play center and not nearly quick enough to function as a modern power forward on defense. He doesn't move well laterally, he's often in the wrong place schematically and is a fairly underwhelming rebounder. Toppin's future relies on finding a way to at least play average defense. With his offensive upside, that's all he needs.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...-overall-pick/

I'd like to see some progress as well but, to be honest, I'm not sold yet on this CAA/Kentucky/Thibs braintrust. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised in the coming weeks.

Of course, but part a large part of his defensive challenges are physical, which will be hard to teach away... e.g. (and this is a very positive review of him):

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...-overall-pick/

I'd like to see some progress as well but, to be honest, I'm not sold yet on this CAA/Kentucky/Thibs braintrust. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised in the coming weeks.
    Well, we'll see won't we? I think Thibs and Kenny Payne can coach him up to be an average defensive player. As to your lack of trust in the Knicks new braintrust, being a Knicks fan, I can see why you think that way.

NYYF Cy Young

After digesting more on the draft, I still would have preferred Vassell, with top-flight defensive and shooting skills.

I am intrigued, though, by this strategy they are seeming to employ of stockpiling second round picks in 2023 to try and take advantage of H.S. players being eligible for the draft again. Even if it fails, I admire the creativity and the effort to game the system a bit.

NYYF Legend

Myles Powell could be a real positive addition for the Knicks.👌👌

NYYF Legend

Going to be interesting seeing who they look to use the cap space on. It doesn't sound like they want to repeat last year with the small 1 year deals to marginal veterans (although I'm sure that's an easy backup plan).

NYYF Legend

I was satisfied with the Toppin selection. If they're going to be bad, at least he'll make them more entertaining/watchable.

I like VanVleet, but I don't like him enough to give him 4 years and $25M+

I hope they just rent out their cap space for draft picks. Develop RJB, Toppin and Mitch some more.

NYYF Legend

One more thing - I absolutely want no part of Gordon Hayward.

You and I are on the same page!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    One more thing - I absolutely want no part of Gordon Hayward.
    If he was into a 2 year deal for under $50M, I'd consider it.

He'd probably be very tradeable for an asset next year if so, and he makes the team "better" enough that other free agents might be more likely to at least give the Knicks a meeting next offseason.

That said, not sure why he'd sign such a deal with the Knicks unless his market was utterly gone or he just wanted to spite the Celtics. Agreed that the Knicks are probably better off getting a pick from Indiana to absorb a contract so Indiana can sign Hayward.

NYYF Cy Young

I was satisfied with the Toppin selection. If they're going to be bad, at least he'll make them more entertaining/watchable.

I like VanVleet, but I don't like him enough to give him 4 years and $25M+

I hope they just rent out their cap space for draft picks. Develop RJB, Toppin and Mitch some more.
    So after the beginning of FA, I imagine they are going to rent the cap space, and/or sign guys to one-year deals again. They have over $30 million left and it doesn't seem like there's a place to spend that, unless they try to get Westbrook, and that seems like a bad idea.

Not to lobby for another crappy year, but the draft is a lot stronger next year, as is FA, so it wouldn't be the worst thing to develop the kids, and show progress. And who knows? Maybe they can swing a trade at some point for the next disgruntled superstar.

So after the beginning of FA, I imagine they are going to rent the cap space, and/or sign guys to one-year deals again. They have over $30 million left and it doesn't seem like there's a place to spend that, unless they try to get Westbrook, and that seems like a bad idea.

Not to lobby for another crappy year, but the draft is a lot stronger next year, as is FA, so it wouldn't be the worst thing to develop the kids, and show progress. And who knows? Maybe they can swing a trade at some point for the next disgruntled superstar.
    Thatís how I see it. Develop your foundation players, show some progress while changing the culture in which NBA players around the league take notice so they can possibly entice a couple of NBA all-star players to join them.

NYYF Legend

Hayward and VanVleet are both off the board.

The Knicks are going to rebuild the correct way, for once...

...assuming no trade for Westbrook or Wall

NYYF Legend

Based on what Iím reading, it looks like CHA is going to need to make a move in order to get Hayward onto their roster at the contract heís signed to. Prime opportunity for the Knicks to rent their cap space for an asset. Letís see how it unfolds.

Charlotte signs Hayward for 4/120M which is fine with me as it kept the Knicks out of it. I can see the Knicks picking up another ball-handing guard from another team with a much shorter contract.

NYYF Legend

Based on what I’m reading, it looks like CHA is going to need to make a move in order to get Hayward onto their roster at the contract he’s signed to. Prime opportunity for the Knicks to rent their cap space for an asset. Let’s see how it unfolds.
    Charlotte apparently stretched Batum instead to create the space. Jordan is bananas. All in all, I'm good with this, it's amusing to see free agents leave Boston in droves

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Charlotte apparently stretched Batum instead to create the space. Jordan is bananas. All in all, I'm good with this, it's amusing to see free agents leave Boston in droves
    Itís as if theyíre paying Gordon $39M a year for the next 3 years (after the stretch of Batum). Thatís bonkers.

Looks like the last remaining PG available via free agency will be Jeff Teague.

NYYF Legend

They signed Elfrid Payton and Nerlens Noel, each for 1/$5M

Keep those one year deals coming.

NYYF Cy Young

Itís as if theyíre paying Gordon $39M a year for the next 3 years (after the stretch of Batum). Thatís bonkers.

Looks like the last remaining PG available via free agency will be Jeff Teague.
    Yeah, I was hoping there was an opportunity to get involved and take some salary off Charlotte's hands. Stockpiling some #1's would help the rebuild.

I do like the patience, and maintaining flexibility, but I'm still going to be suspicious of this Kentucky-leaning strategy until they show something.

Yeah, I was hoping there was an opportunity to get involved and take some salary off Charlotte's hands. Stockpiling some #1's would help the rebuild.

I do like the patience, and maintaining flexibility, but I'm still going to be suspicious of this Kentucky-leaning strategy until they show something.
    Don't forget CAA in your suspicions. I don't quite understand your position considering what has been leading the Knicks for the last 20 years.

Thread Information