+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: 2019-2020 New York Knicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Don't forget CAA in your suspicions. I don't quite understand your position considering what has been leading the Knicks for the last 20 years.
    Same person is still leading the team, isn't he?

On the positive side, they haven't done anything Knick-like this offseason (e.g., signing Westbrook) and have maintained their flexibility, and I think the strategy of stockpiling 2023 2nd round draft choices is interesting, whether it works out or not.

What makes me more skeptical is that their front office and coaching staff feel a bit thrown together, and it's not clear what they are trying to build. But some progress this year and some luck in the lottery might be enough to entice a free agent or two, and they could quickly turn into an Eastern Conference contender. I'm certainly rooting for it to happen, but not quite ready to get on the train yet.

Death Star Fully Operational

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Same person is still leading the team, isn't he?

On the positive side, they haven't done anything Knick-like this offseason (e.g., signing Westbrook) and have maintained their flexibility, and I think the strategy of stockpiling 2023 2nd round draft choices is interesting, whether it works out or not.

What makes me more skeptical is that their front office and coaching staff feel a bit thrown together, and it's not clear what they are trying to build. But some progress this year and some luck in the lottery might be enough to entice a free agent or two, and they could quickly turn into an Eastern Conference contender. I'm certainly rooting for it to happen, but not quite ready to get on the train yet.
    Dude, as my smileys indicated, I was kidding as we all know Rose's connection to CAA. What I don't know if that's a bad thing yet as it's entirely possible it could be a good thing too. In time, we'll find out.

By the way, who's ready to get on the Knicks train yet? I haven't watched a Knicks NBA championship since I was a college freshman. Several of you have never watched such a NBA championship.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    It’s as if they’re paying Gordon $39M a year for the next 3 years (after the stretch of Batum). That’s bonkers.

Looks like the last remaining PG available via free agency will be Jeff Teague.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/why-knicks-...200903295.html

Apparently Charlotte may still be looking to trade Batum. I'd love to see the Knicks grab a #1 for taking on that salary - it might end up being a decent pick with the Hornets betting on Hayward's health and Ball's development

NYYF Legend

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-knicks-...200903295.html

Apparently Charlotte may still be looking to trade Batum. I'd love to see the Knicks grab a #1 for taking on that salary - it might end up being a decent pick with the Hornets betting on Hayward's health and Ball's development
    That would be amazing.

I also read that the Rivers signing is going to become a sign and trade with Houston. It hasn't been completed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    That would be amazing.

I also read that the Rivers signing is going to become a sign and trade with Houston. It hasn't been completed yet.
    I don't like the sound of that as Houston is trying to rob the Knicks of one of their draft assets.

Nate Robinson needs to find another line of work as boxing isn't it.

NYYF Cy Young

Another exciting playoff-less year about to start.

I feel like they really are slowly moving in the right direction. Glad to see that Thibs has the kids playing with energy in the pre-season, and hope it translates into the regular season. I wasn't sold on him as the right coach for this team, given that he usually gives preference to veterans and short rotations, so I'll be curious how he juggles playing time this year.

My hopes for this year involve Barrett, Robinson and Knox taking a step forward, and Toppin and Quickley making a good impression, and the team showing enough promise to become a destination of choice for a legit superstar while wrapping up a top pick.

Another exciting playoff-less year about to start.

I feel like they really are slowly moving in the right direction. Glad to see that Thibs has the kids playing with energy in the pre-season, and hope it translates into the regular season. I wasn't sold on him as the right coach for this team, given that he usually gives preference to veterans and short rotations, so I'll be curious how he juggles playing time this year.

My hopes for this year involve Barrett, Robinson and Knox taking a step forward, and Toppin and Quickley making a good impression, and the team showing enough promise to become a destination of choice for a legit superstar while wrapping up a top pick.
    The only legit superstar that is going to be a free agent after the season is Kwahi. As to the top pick, can the Knicks finally get lucky after 35+ years in the lottery? We can only hope for it.

NYYF Cy Young

The only legit superstar that is going to be a free agent after the season is Kwahi. As to the top pick, can the Knicks finally get lucky after 35+ years in the lottery? We can only hope for it.
    Yeah, it's going to take a disgruntled superstar who is willing to go to the Knicks. Somehow, the NBA has evolved so that superstar players take the max contract that only their current team can offer and then force their way out. Hopefully, the Knicks can do that without doing much damage to their young core.

The Nets have laid down the blue print for the Knicks to follow in their rebuild. Draft and develop well with foundation players which should change the losing culture then sign or trade for superstar players. The advantage the Knicks have over the Nets at that time is an abundance of draft choices. That Celtics trade robbed the Nets of prime draft choices.

NYYF Cy Young

Four games in, and with essentially the same roster, the Knicks are 2-2. I know it's early and the record is meaningless, but I think we can at least say that they've had a coaching upgrade - he's clearly got Randle and the rest of the team playing better team basketball. It will be interesting to see how the rookies are integrated when they get healthy.

Four games in, and with essentially the same roster, the Knicks are 2-2. I know it's early and the record is meaningless, but I think we can at least say that they've had a coaching upgrade - he's clearly got Randle and the rest of the team playing better team basketball. It will be interesting to see how the rookies are integrated when they get healthy.
    Agreed!

Man, I love me some Quickley. If he keeps playing like this then we can forget about him being a reach at the 25th pick in the draft. Dude can shoot the 3 point and make his free throws while playing solid defense. Just ask Trae Young about his defense in the 4th quarter.

Thibs got this team playing a lot better, especially defensively. Randle is like a completely different player this season from last year.

NYYF Legend

I'm not even rooting for losses anymore!

NYYF Legend

The intelligent long-term thing to do this year would be to make Randle look as good as possible while continuing to develop Barrett, Robinson, and Quickley (+ Toppin when he gets back, and even Knox if possible), and then trading Randle at the deadline.

Assuming he remains a good offensive player (and the economy + player salaries aren't nosediving), he's potentially somewhat valuable, as I think he's on a team option next year. He'd give the acquiring team a lot of flexibility. Considering they got a 1st for Morris last year, I'd think that would also be a 1st round pick.

That said, if the Knicks are looking like they will easily make the play-in tournament... would be hard to be sellers.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

When's the last time the Knicks were over .500 in January?

Did you guys know that Randle just turned 26 on November 29th? I want to see how he plays over the next 20-30 games before I decide whether they should trade him or not.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    When's the last time the Knicks were over .500 in January?
    2012-13 season, also the last time they made the playoffs.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Yesterday afternoon, I bought the NBA Pass subscription on a monthly basis. As I watched last night's game from Michigan, I was thinking whether that was a good investment until late in the first half when the Knicks started to make their comeback. It continue with a great 2nd half and another come from behind win.

The Knicks are not a good team. However, if they continue play hard with serious effort on the defensive end of the game along with continued development of their young players I will stick with my NBA Pass subscription. I think they can win 32-36 wins. I wanted another lottery pick this June, but I can live without it if they win 36 games and make the playoffs.

NYYF Cy Young

Did you guys know that Randle just turned 26 on November 29th? I want to see how he plays over the next 20-30 games before I decide whether they should trade him or not.
    Yeah, I think he might be part of the ultimate solution, not just another trade chip. As the Nets have shown the Knicks, you need to have a competitive core before a true superstar is going to join your team, and they may be able to position themselves as a destination of choice for someone.

How Randle ultimately fits with Toppin is another question, but we won't have that answer until they really get on the court together.

Yesterday afternoon, I bought the NBA Pass subscription on a monthly basis. As I watched last night's game from Michigan, I was thinking whether that was a good investment until late in the first half when the Knicks started to make their comeback. It continue with a great 2nd half and another come from behind win.

The Knicks are not a good team. However, if they continue play hard with serious effort on the defensive end of the game along with continued development of their young players I will stick with my NBA Pass subscription. I think they can win 32-36 wins. I wanted another lottery pick this June, but I can live without it if they win 36 games and make the playoffs.
    Making the playoffs, or being close, may ultimately provide more benefit than having a late lottery pick. I don't have any illusions that they are going to go anywhere this year, but they can at least start to change the narrative around the team.

Thread Information