+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 307
  1. #26
    Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    2112 The Temples Of Syrinx....

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Actual list:
    1) Team that offers the most $
    2) Team that offers the 2nd most $
    3) Yankees
    ^^^This^^^

    But I still want the Yankees to sign Cole....



    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Hurts my heart to watch some of you set yourselves up for disappointment.
    Cole isn't going to be a Yankee.

    Come on, folks - we know the drill:

    1) Cashman will talk about the need to upgrade the rotation.
    2) Cashman and Levine will invite Cole to NY, give him a tour of the stadium and take him out for supper.
    3) Cashman will discuss "parameters" with Boras, with Boras laughing out loud at said parameters.
    4) Cole will eventually sign elsewhere and Cashman will promptly claim that Cole didn't really want to be a Yankee.
    5) Cashman will then go out and sign relievers.
    ^^^And this^^^

    Plus another pitcher like Happ and claim we fixed the pitching with Severino healthy. Paxton proving he can pitch in the playoffs. Tanaka....Cashman's media puppets will run around the bases & Parrot him....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

  2. #27

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Dont forget about setting a value but that the player was above the price point they were comfortable with
    Yep. It became apparent in the Patrick Corbin insult that the Yanks are so wrapped up in analytics, that they've completely lost sight of the basic concept of supply and demand. They'll arrogantly posture that X is worth Y, and that the numbers say so. And won't budge from that, completely disregarding the actual market. Shooting themselves in the foot. Can you imagine walking into a car dealership and telling them that you're only going to pay for the sum total of all the parts? They'd laugh you right out of there.

  3. #28
    The King dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Yep. It became apparent in the Patrick Corbin insult that the Yanks are so wrapped up in analytics, that they've completely lost sight of the basic concept of supply and demand. They'll arrogantly posture that X is worth Y, and that the numbers say so. And won't budge from that, completely disregarding the actual market. Shooting themselves in the foot. Can you imagine walking into a car dealership and telling them that you're only going to pay for the sum total of all the parts? They'd laugh you right out of there.

    Haha this made me laugh. "I understand the tag price of that Ferrari is $150K, but I did some research with my analytics team, and to us this car is worth no more then $60K and we refuse to go above that".

  4. #29
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    It's ironic that the team charging $13 for a bud light doesn't understand supply, demand and value.
    Yeah, no sh!t a bud light isn't worth $13, and paying $13 for a bud light is overpaying, but there is one company selling bud light and it's worth $13 to me right now, because it's hot out and I'm sober watching baseball.

    In the same way, Cole might not be worth more than your FMV calculation, but he also means the difference between a championship and not a championship. So to you, he should be worth more than he is to say, the Tigers.

    You also have to deal with higher taxes and COL. You don't seem to mind the higher COL when you sent prices.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  5. #30

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    In the same way, Cole might not be worth more than your FMV calculation, but he also means the difference between a championship and not a championship. So to you, he should be worth more than he is to say, the Tigers.

    Cole doesn't guarantee a championship. The Astros had Verlander, Cole, Morton, and Keuchel in 2018 and still lossed.

    Post season baseball is a different animal. Since 2002 the team with the best record in baseball has won the World Series 5 times. In that same time the Wild Card team has won 5 times as well.

  6. #31

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    Cole doesn't guarantee a championship. The Astros had Verlander, Cole, Morton, and Keuchel in 2018 and still lossed.

    Post season baseball is a different animal. Since 2002 the team with the best record in baseball has won the World Series 5 times. In that same time the Wild Card team has won 5 times as well.
    Most years, a rotation like that would win assuming your hitting is at least decent. Astros just ran into the Red Sox last year that had literally everything go their way all season.

  7. #32

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    Cole doesn't guarantee a championship. The Astros had Verlander, Cole, Morton, and Keuchel in 2018 and still lossed.

    Post season baseball is a different animal. Since 2002 the team with the best record in baseball has won the World Series 5 times. In that same time the Wild Card team has won 5 times as well.
    Of course he doesn't guarantee a championship. No one player is going to guarantee a championship. But I'll tell you what, he is easily, and by far, the one player that improves your chances at said championship the most ... who is available on the open market.

  8. #33

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Of course he doesn't guarantee a championship. No one player is going to guarantee a championship. But I'll tell you what, he is easily, and by far, the one player that improves your chances at said championship the most ... who is available on the open market.

    If we traded for either Verlander or Cole we likely have at LEAST one WS win from 2017-2019. Double whammy of Houston not having one of those guys and us having one.

    Cashmans biggest mistake (perhaps ownership) is not doing whatever it takes to get the dominant stud SP.

    We won when we brought in CC to a monster deal . We won we brought in Clemens.

    Time to pull out all the stops to get Cole here.

    Cole
    Paxson
    Severino
    Tanaka
    German

    That likely puts us over the top and makes Hou weaker. One of our 2-5 could go down and we'd still have a very strong chance.

  9. #34
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Vin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    If they win at least or even just One World Series ring it would still be a worthy signing.

  10. #35

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    If they win at least or even just One World Series ring it would still be a worthy signing.
    Just like with CC.

    And he'd probably be better over the contract since he is younger and in better shape.

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Oh noes. He sux in the Worlds Series. No sign. No sign. No sign.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

  12. #37

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Oh noes. He sux in the Worlds Series. No sign. No sign. No sign.

    Lol. I know you are being sarcastic....'cause His overall track record in the postseason has been fantastic. Even the best have bad/mediocre games. Heck, We scored 4 on Verlander last game.

  13. #38
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Vin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Hah! they scored 5 on him!? Geez.

  14. #39

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    If we traded for either Verlander or Cole we likely have at LEAST one WS win from 2017-2019. Double whammy of Houston not having one of those guys and us having one.

    Cashmans biggest mistake (perhaps ownership) is not doing whatever it takes to get the dominant stud SP.

    We won when we brought in CC to a monster deal . We won we brought in Clemens.

    Time to pull out all the stops to get Cole here.

    Cole
    Paxson
    Severino
    Tanaka
    German

    That likely puts us over the top and makes Hou weaker. One of our 2-5 could go down and we'd still have a very strong chance.
    Well, yes, getting one of Verlander/Cole would have greatly increased our chances to win it all, but neither move would've guaranteed a ring.

  15. #40
    The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    He might not be a Yankee next year. But I think fans who think they won't take a run at him are ever bit as delusional as the ones who think him coming to the Bronx is a done deal.


    The team really doesn't have any obvious holes to fill next year, has around $40M - $60M coming off the books depending on Chapman most of which won't be eaten up by arbitration raises and other than Chapman probably won't be brought back. NYY has another $23M coming of the next year in Ellsbury. And there is a new CBA on the way that will likely change this soft cap nonsense if the players aren't complete idiots.
    What's your definition of "take a run"?

    Is it meeting with him over supper and discussing parameters? If so, yeah the Yankees will "take a run" at Cole.

    Is it Cashman personally flying to Cole's home and making a very aggressive offer the way he did with CC Sabathia in late-2008? If so, no the Yankees will not "take a run" at Cole.

    That's not how Cashman and the Yankees do business anymore. The Yankees have ceased to be big-game hunters in free-agency since they foolishly signed Ellsbury.

    He'll sign Wheeler instead. New York-tested. Analytics team identified something fixable. Blah blah blah.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  16. #41
    The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Well, yes, getting one of Verlander/Cole would have greatly increased our chances to win it all, but neither move would've guaranteed a ring.
    2017 was virtually a slam-dunk if we had Verlander instead of Houston.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  17. #42
    I.P. Standing Krall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In the middle of New York

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Hah! they scored 5 on him!? Geez.
    Goes to show you there’s no such thing as an ace.

  18. #43

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    7 year deals for pitchers end up like CC. 2-3 good years with the remainder at replacement level. No thanks.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  19. #44
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Haha this made me laugh. "I understand the tag price of that Ferrari is $150K, but I did some research with my analytics team, and to us this car is worth no more then $60K and we refuse to go above that".
    It's so true though. This is how they are approaching the elite free agent market. It's like offering $500,000 for a $3 million dollar property in Tribeca because that's how much the same house would sell for in Oklahoma.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  20. #45
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    7 year deals for pitchers end up like CC. 2-3 good years with the remainder at replacement level. No thanks.
    No CC, no ring in 2009. Yes, please. Not to mention, the Yankees got 7 good seasons out of CC.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  21. #46
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    What's your definition of "take a run"?

    Is it meeting with him over supper and discussing parameters? If so, yeah the Yankees will "take a run" at Cole.

    Is it Cashman personally flying to Cole's home and making a very aggressive offer the way he did with CC Sabathia in late-2008? If so, no the Yankees will not "take a run" at Cole.

    That's not how Cashman and the Yankees do business anymore. The Yankees have ceased to be big-game hunters in free-agency since they foolishly signed Ellsbury.

    He'll sign Wheeler instead. New York-tested. Analytics team identified something fixable. Blah blah blah.
    I personally think the Yanks will offer a deal in the 7 year $35M per range with one or two player opt outs. If another team tops that I doubt the Yanks go longer or much higher if at all and the offer would be in line with some of the other richest contracts for pitchers.

    I don't think this is akin to the Corbin contract last year where clearly they had doubts about his injury history an lack of long term track record.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  22. #47

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    I'm not so sure they are going to go after Cole as they are burdened with Stanton's contract. Remember this is no longer George Steinbrenner's Yankees. That said they have to do something to acquire a #1 type starter either via trade or free agency.

    Also Cole looked very human last night as he did last week against us at Yankee Stadium. We left about 8 men on base against him. One or two timely hits and he would have given up quite a few runs.

  23. #48
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefansince68 View Post
    I'm not so sure they are going to go after Cole as they are burdened with Stanton's contract. Remember this is no longer George Steinbrenner's Yankees. That said they have to do something to acquire a #1 type starter either via trade or free agency.

    Also Cole looked very human last night as he did last week against us at Yankee Stadium. We left about 8 men on base against him. One or two timely hits and he would have given up quite a few runs.
    It's the first loss he has since like May.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  24. #49

    Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    No CC, no ring in 2009. Yes, please. Not to mention, the Yankees got 7 good seasons out of CC.
    I agree about CC being vital to the 2009 WS Championship, but cannot agree on getting 7 good years out of him. Since 2013 he’s had a couple average seasons and a few below that. His FIP in that time is 4.49 with a low of 4.10 in that 7 year span.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  25. #50
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    7 year deals for pitchers end up like CC. 2-3 good years with the remainder at replacement level. No thanks.
    CC had 3 great seasons, 1 good season and 3 terrible seasons in his first 7 years with the Yankees.

    The reality is that all prime FA deals are overpayment. If you don't want to overpay for the best, you are not going to sign them in the FA market.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts