+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

The Yankees must do everything in their power to sign this man.

Not having a true ace in 2017 and this year has cost the Yankees a championship.

Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

Quote Originally Posted by damons View Post
    The Yankees must do everything in their power to sign this man.

Not having a true ace in 2017 and this year has cost the Yankees a championship.

This probably belongs in the off season thread, but to the point, I agree. This guy is the key piece this offseason..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    This probably belongs in the off season thread, but to the point, I agree. This guy is the key piece this offseason..

That's why this deserves its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by damons View Post
    That's why this deserves its own thread.

Hey I am signing the petition no matter where it is located!!
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

There's really no excuse to sign Cole. If Hal and Brian are so hung up about going over the tax, please hear me out. You have Sabathia's 8 million salary expiring. Don't resign Gardner. That's another 7.5 million. Next up is Didi. He's a great clubhouse guy and fine player, but he's turning 30 and would be a difficult decision to sign him longterm. No thanks. That's another 11.8 saved. Besides, we can always move Gleyber to SS. Lastly, Chapman will most likely opt out. Let him walk. Yanks will still be in good shape with Britton and Betances in the pen. Another 17.2 million saved. With the offseason unfortunately off to an early start, the Yankees need to follow the Avengers motto: "whatever it takes."

Does anyone really believe this will end any differently than Manny, Harper or Corbin?

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMike's View Post
    There's really no excuse to sign Cole. If Hal and Brian are so hung up about going over the tax, please hear me out. You have Sabathia's 8 million salary expiring. Don't resign Gardner. That's another 7.5 million. Next up is Didi. He's a great clubhouse guy and fine player, but he's turning 30 and would be a difficult decision to sign him longterm. No thanks. That's another 11.8 saved. Besides, we can always move Gleyber to SS. Lastly, Chapman will most likely opt out. Let him walk. Yanks will still be in good shape with Britton and Betances in the pen. Another 17.2 million saved. With the offseason unfortunately off to an early start, the Yankees need to follow the Avengers motto: "whatever it takes."
    Is JDL a second basemen playing at first base? If that's the case then it might make sense to move Gleyber to SS and JDL to second. I like Didi so we should keep him if the money and years are appropriate for a 30 yo. We should still have enough off the books with everyone else to go out and make a strong move at Cole. I keep hearing he's a west coast guy, but if he likes money AND winning, it would make a lot more sense to come to the Yankees who are just a step away from a Championship.

One thing to remember is Cole's agent is Scott Boris. That's why it's vital that the Yankees come in as the highest bidder. If Cole still prefers the west coast, so be it. At the very least it won't be at fault of Cashman.

Boras will just use the Yankees to drive up the cost of the Angels and Dodgers. I don't see him ending up with the Yankees.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

NYYF Legend

Offseason will be a failure if they do not sign Cole.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    Does anyone really believe this will end any differently than Manny, Harper or Corbin?
    No.

I didn't think the Yankees were going to beat Houston, either.

But I still wanted them to and rooted my ass off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    Unlike those 3, Cole is actually a need and has a proven track record.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Unlike those 3, Cole is actually a need and has a proven track record.
    This. None of those 3 would make the difference we need while Cole does.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Truth. I am going to be so fed up if its January and we're hearing talk about how Cashman's geek squad unearthed stats that show Wheeler is elite, how they can get the most out of him, and how Cole was above their price point.

Astros win WS and the odds to sign Cole are
    1. Houston
    2. LA Dodgers
    3. Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by CinematicFusion View Post
    Astros win WS and the odds to sign Cole are
    1. Houston
    2. LA Dodgers
    3. Yankees
    Actual list:
    1) Team that offers the most $
    2) Team that offers the 2nd most $
    3) Yankees

This guy is as close to a sure thing as there is. We are the Yankees, it's time to end the cost-cutting BS and act like it! It will be a failure by the team to not have him wearing pinstripes next year.

The guy might love California but he was 100% a Yankees fan growing up. There is even a picture of him at the 2001 World Series with a Yankees Jersey on holding up a sign cheering for us. Make it happen!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Truth. I am going to be so fed up if its January and we're hearing talk about how Cashman's geek squad unearthed stats that show Wheeler is elite, how they can get the most out of him, and how Cole was above their price point.
    You know it's coming. "Wheeler has a xBIPITYBOOPITYBOPPITYBOOEY+ of 155 when pitching on Tuesday nights on the road. So if we can just align our rotation to have him start every Tuesday night it's the equivalent of signing an ace at half the price". tEh VaLuE
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Hurts my heart to watch some of you set yourselves up for disappointment.
    Cole isn't going to be a Yankee.

Come on, folks - we know the drill:

1) Cashman will talk about the need to upgrade the rotation.
    2) Cashman and Levine will invite Cole to NY, give him a tour of the stadium and take him out for supper.
    3) Cashman will discuss "parameters" with Boras, with Boras laughing out loud at said parameters.
    4) Cole will eventually sign elsewhere and Cashman will promptly claim that Cole didn't really want to be a Yankee.
    5) Cashman will then go out and sign relievers.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    He might not be a Yankee next year. But I think fans who think they won't take a run at him are ever bit as delusional as the ones who think him coming to the Bronx is a done deal.

The team really doesn't have any obvious holes to fill next year, has around $40M - $60M coming off the books depending on Chapman most of which won't be eaten up by arbitration raises and other than Chapman probably won't be brought back. NYY has another $23M coming of the next year in Ellsbury. And there is a new CBA on the way that will likely change this soft cap nonsense if the players aren't complete idiots.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Prepare to be disappointed I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    He might not be a Yankee next year. But I think fans who think they won't take a run at him are ever bit as delusional as the ones who think him coming to the Bronx is a done deal.

The team really doesn't have any obvious holes to fill next year, has around $40M - $60M coming off the books depending on Chapman most of which won't be eaten up by arbitration raises and other than Chapman probably won't be brought back. NYY has another $23M coming of the next year in Ellsbury. And there is a new CBA on the way that will likely change this soft cap nonsense if the players aren't complete idiots.

It wouldnt surprise you to hear the "we need to save money for Judge, Gleyber and Sanchez" excuses from the FO/ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

Come on, folks - we know the drill:

1) Cashman will talk about the need to upgrade the rotation.
    2) Cashman and Levine will invite Cole to NY, give him a tour of the stadium and take him out for supper.
    3) Cashman will discuss "parameters" with Boras, with Boras laughing out loud at said parameters.
    4) Cole will eventually sign elsewhere and Cashman will promptly claim that Cole didn't really want to be a Yankee.
    5) Cashman will then go out and sign relievers.

Dont forget about setting a value but that the player was above the price point they were comfortable with

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    It wouldnt surprise you to hear the "we need to save money for Judge, Gleyber and Sanchez" excuses from the FO/ownership?
    They might but I don't see that happening this year. They are all still "relatively cheap" next year as I think all are arb eligible for the 1st time.

More money comes off the books in 2021 and the CBA is coming do which will probably raise the soft cap substantially.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information