+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 27 28 29 30

Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    what do you mean?
    Cole's dad persuaded him to go forego signing with the Yankees to attend UCLA college. He then goes back into the draft and goes #1 overall to the Pirates. After that, not sure lol. I guess coming to this point where Cole can pretty much almost have his pick of where he wants to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Cole's dad persuaded him to go forego signing with the Yankees to attend UCLA college. He then goes back into the draft and goes #1 overall to the Pirates. After that, not sure lol. I guess coming to this point where Cole can pretty much almost have his pick of where he wants to go to.
    Well cashman only has himself to blame for not getting cole 2 years ago . He overvalued unproven prospects at the time

NYYF Legend

Well cashman only has himself to blame for not getting cole 2 years ago . He overvalued unproven prospects at the time
    They wanted andujar and Frazier, andujar went on to have a Roy caliber year.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    but cole was a proven major leaguer , at that time andujar never played a single inning in the majors . and it was known back then that andujar was a defensive liability in the minors . i would have gladly traded andujar and frazier for cole . that was a type of deal that you just cant walk away from so easily . and cashman did .

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Sorry, but I cannot blame Cashman - he offered the better package and for whatever reason, the Pirates preferred Houston’s inferior offer.

Probably not a coincidence that the people running the Pirates at the time are now unemployed...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Sorry, but I cannot blame Cashman - he offered the better package and for whatever reason, the Pirates preferred Houston’s inferior offer.

Probably not a coincidence that the people running the Pirates at the time are now unemployed...
    he didnt offer the best package he could have , thats my point. even at his height , frazier's value wasnt enough to be the centerpeice of a trade for a proven player like cole.

Michale Kay said that from what he’s hearing, Cole pretty much has a blank check in both years and dollars

NYYF Legend

This is a false narrative.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

I don't know why everyone has this take, other than believing a narrative Cashman pushed in the media. Look at the value the Pirates package has provided over the last couple seasons. Pirates took the safer/lower floor package and were rewarded with better value statistically.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    Michale Kay said that from what he’s hearing, Cole pretty much has a blank check in both years and dollars
    Lock him up Cashman.

Devoted Member

The thing about that non-trade is its different when you’re in the GM position. You don’t know if the other team is bluffing and asking for more or better players even when they would already accept the offer you gave them. At some point you have to push back.

I know we're all just speculating, but do we think it's possible Cole could make a quick decision? I'm used to expecting Boras clients to remain unsigned until February.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripeDynasty View Post
    The thing about that non-trade is its different when you’re in the GM position. You don’t know if the other team is bluffing and asking for more or better players even when they would already accept the offer you gave them. At some point you have to push back.
    well any GM truly worth his salt should know that there is a greater chance that a " cant miss" prospect will most likely not pan out .and that no prospect should ever be untouchable when it comes to trading them for major league proven players like cole . cashman did the same thing with hughes when toronto wanted him for roy halliday , about 14 years ago

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    I don’t know that Kay has any special inside info. As I recall he made some pretty wild claims about the Yankees signing machado last offseason
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    This is a false narrative.
    Says you, I read and remember specifically they wanted andujar and Frazier. And I believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Kelly View Post
    I don’t know that Kay has any special inside info. As I recall he made some pretty wild claims about the Yankees signing machado last offseason
    he also said just last week that the yanks were likely not gonna sign cole . i think he just goes by the same info we get and runs away with it

he also said just last week that the yanks were likely not gonna sign cole . i think he just by the same info we get and runs away with it
    Kay's not as plugged in as someone like Jeff Passan.

he didnt offer the best package he could have , thats my point. even at his height , frazier's value wasnt enough to be the centerpeice of a trade for a proven player like cole.
    Actually the Pirates GM admitted that Frazier was the best prospect offered but that Houston’s package was better. So Frazier was good enough to headline that package, but Cash wouldn’t offer anyone good with him. It honestly might not have taken more than Chance Adams and another decent prospect in addition to Frazier. How sad if true. But we’ll probably never know for sure.

Anyway sign Cole now.

NYYF Legend

Says you, I read and remember specifically they wanted andujar and Frazier. And I believe it.
    Not me saying it. There was an ESPN report saying Cashman refused to include Chance Adams and Clint in same deal. Because the Pirates wanted Andujar and Clint, doesn't mean it was that or nothing. Let's not forget Cashman also made Florial AND Sheffield untouchable that offseason. The Andujar or no deal thing is just a BS Cashman narrative he pushed in the media. Let's stop repeating it. It makes no sense with the other stuff we know.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Not me saying it. There was a ESPN report saying Cashman refused to include Chance Adams and Clint in same deal. Because the Pirates wanted Andujar and Clint doesn't mean it was that or nothing. Let's not forget Cashman also made Florial AND Sheffield untouchable that offseason. The Andujar or no deal thing is just a BS Cashman narrative he pushed in the media. Let's stop repeating it. It makes no sense with the other stuff we know.
    and yet he traded sheffield later that same year. and if the deal didnt go through because he refused to include chance adams, then it only reinforces my earlier post about why the trade didnt go through. and btw i would have given the pirates frazier and andujar for cole in a heartbeat .

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Actually the Pirates GM admitted that Frazier was the best prospect offered but that Houston’s package was better. So Frazier was good enough to headline that package, but Cash wouldn’t offer anyone good with him. It honestly might not have taken more than Chance Adams and another decent prospect in addition to Frazier. How sad if true. But we’ll probably never know for sure.

Anyway sign Cole now.
    THIS!

This board always talks about how difficult it is to get an ace nowadays. This opportunity doesn’t happen often.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post

Anyway sign Cole now.
    But we will also never know if under the Yankees coaching staff Cole would have become the pitcher he became on the Astros.

Thread Information