+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 63 ... LastLast

Re: Sign Gerrit Cole Thread

Interesting and hopefully true about trying to trade Happ and go after Cole. It would be amazing to see us aggressive again for an elite shutdown pitcher.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/19/j-a-ha...t-cole-puzzle/

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agreed. No CC = no World Series 2009, and his contract never once hurt us. Without CC we would not have a WS title this century. Let that marinate.

Like CC in 2009, it’s time go all in on the best starting pitcher available this offseason.

Well said. Dont pass up another elite pitcher if we were more aggressive and landed EITHER Cole or Verlander these last few years . We likely have at least 1 more WS championship under our belt.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Interesting and hopefully true about trying to trade Happ and go after Cole. It would be amazing to see us aggressive again for an elite shutdown pitcher.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/19/j-a-ha...t-cole-puzzle/
    Classic click-bait headline. In passing, Sherman merely mentions a rival executive has speculated the Yankees could package Happ with an affordable young asset to facilitate a deal in an effort to shed payroll for Cole.

What was noteworthy, is Sherman mentioning that money will be an issue for Hal, and the Yankees should prepare for a rotation lead by Paxton and Severino.

In other words, forget about Cole (I know, shocking).

Nothing to see here, folks.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    What was noteworthy, is Sherman mentioning that money will be an issue for Hal, and the Yankees should prepare for a rotation lead by Paxton and Severino.

In other words, forget about Cole (I know, shocking).

Nothing to see here, folks.
    This is why they should sign Madison Bumgarner instead. Before someone else does.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    This is why they should sign Madison Bumgarner instead. Before someone else does.
    No way should the Yanks consider Bumgarner.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-off-in-the-nl
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Well said. Dont pass up another elite pitcher if we were more aggressive and landed EITHER Cole or Verlander these last few years . We likely have at least 1 more WS championship under our belt.
    You know Verlander is 0-6 in World Series games?

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post

Wow, powerful article

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post

Bumgarner gave up 30 bombs in 207 IP IN 2019, or 1.3 every 9 innings.
    Cole, who will cost almost double AAV, gave up 29 HRs in 212 IP, or 1.2 every 9 innings.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Cole, who will cost almost double AAV, gave up 29 HRs in 212 IP, or 1.2 every 9 innings.
    Cole played his home games at the worst stadium in the league for pitchers while Bumgarner pitched in the best stadium for pitchers. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    Cole played his home games at the worst stadium in the league for pitchers while Bumgarner pitched in the best stadium for pitchers. Big difference.
    Not only that but cole is at least proven in the AL. Don’t know what bumgarner will do in the AL

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    Big enough difference to pay almost twice the AAV for a longer time period?.

I'm not suggesting that Bumgarner is on the same level as Cole. I'm just questioning paying pitchers more than $30M AAV in general, when there may not be a need to.

Big enough difference to pay almost twice the AAV for a longer time period?.

I'm not suggesting that Bumgarner is on the same level as Cole. I'm just questioning paying pitchers more than $30M AAV in general, when there may not be a need to.
    Then don’t sign anyone. Not wanting to pay for Cole isn’t an argument for signing Bumgarner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    You know Verlander is 0-6 in World Series games?
    How many World Series games have the entire Yankees current pitching staff pitched in the WS? What is serevino,s récord in the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Then don’t sign anyone. Not wanting to pay for Cole isn’t an argument for signing Bumgarner.
    Bumgardner is going to cost about 20 mill , no sense in signing him. If I were to sign any free agent starter this year not named cole or strasburg, it would be ryu . He would likely only require 3 years and no more than 15 mill a year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think it would be foolish not to try and strengthen what is widely perceived.to be the team's biggest weakness. There's little doubt in.my mind that adding Bumgarner strengthens the pitching rotation, and a rare 200IP guy will help keep the bullpen fresher

I think it would be foolish not to try and strengthen what is widely perceived.to be the team's biggest weakness. There's little doubt in.my mind that adding Bumgarner strengthens the pitching rotation, and a rare 200IP guy will help keep the bullpen fresher
    I have seen no proof that bumgarner would actually help the yanks rotation at all since he has no AL experience, gave up a lot of hrs considering he pitched at San Fran in a pitchers ballpark and according to experts , is on the downside of his career. And on top of that is going to be wanting 5 years at 15 to 20 mill per. That is just too much of a risk . I honestly would prefer they sign ryu if they were dead set on passing on cole or strasburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    How many World Series games have the entire Yankees current pitching staff pitched in the WS? What is serevino,s récord in the playoffs?
    I wasn't defending anyone on the Yankees rotation. I was pointing out the irony in the statement that we'd surely have won the World Series if we'd added a pitcher who has lost every one of his World Series decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    I wasn't defending anyone on the Yankees rotation. I was pointing out the irony in the statement that we'd surely have won the World Series if we'd added a pitcher who has lost every one of his World Series decisions.
    Well verlander has at least pitched well enough in the playoffs to lead his team into multiple World Series, the same can’t be said about the Yankees current pitching staff . So yeah I do firmly believe the yanks win the ws in 17 if they had traded for verlander . Remember Houston would not have had him either

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Obviously, Bumgardner is just as good as Cole.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Obviously, Bumgardner is just as good as Cole.
    Obviously you didn't read post#311

Mark Teixeira: What it’d take to get Gerrit Cole on the Yankees,

“Every agent knows that if they don’t call the Yankees before their client signs they might be leaving money on the table,” Teixeira said. “Because, especially this year, with how important Gerrit Cole is to the Yankees offseason, they won’t get outbid.

“The question is, if the Yankees truly want Gerrit Cole, they can give him 10 years and $400 million dollars, they can do that. The question is, what are other teams willing to do and the Yankees don’t want to bid against themselves during this process.”
    The way Teixeira sees it, Cole will take everything he knows about New York into consideration while making his decision. But if the price is right, Cole could be persuaded by a bigger number.

“Gerrit Cole, he can write his own check right now,” Teixeira said. “The question is, if the Yankees did something crazy and got to $350 or $400 million dollars, then you almost can’t turn it down, right? I think money being equal, he’s not going to the Yankees. If the Yankees completely blow everyone out of the water, then he’ll end up in pinstripes.”
    https://nypost.com/2019/11/20/mark-t...n-the-yankees/

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    I have seen no proof that bumgarner would actually help the yanks rotation at all since he has no AL experience, gave up a lot of hrs considering he pitched at San Fran in a pitchers ballpark and according to experts , is on the downside of his career. And on top of that is going to be wanting 5 years at 15 to 20 mill per. That is just too much of a risk . I honestly would prefer they sign ryu if they were dead set on passing on cole or strasburg.
    He has no AL experience besides his 4 WS wins and 3 WS rings against AL teams. And all his interleague victories.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    He has no AL experience besides his 4 WS wins and 3 WS rings against AL teams. And all his interleague victories.
    But he has never pitched a season vs the AL . I still think bumgarner is too much of a risk for what he will ask for

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Mark Teixeira: What it’d take to get Gerrit Cole on the Yankees,

https://nypost.com/2019/11/20/mark-t...n-the-yankees/

For some reason, I don’t think he’s going to the Yankees,” he said. “That’s just a gut [feeling], I don’t have any inside information on that, you’re way better at that stuff than I am. I just have a feeling that Gerrit Cole has – first of all, he’s already made a bunch of money, right? So a couple million bucks here and there won’t be a big deal.

“Playing in New York is not for everybody. And maybe Gerrit Cole will thrive in New York. But if you told me, as the top free agent on the market, and I’m a West Coast guy, and the Dodgers and Angels are sitting there drooling over me. I’m probably going to look there before I look at the Yankees.”

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    For some reason, I don’t think he’s going to the Yankees,” he said. “That’s just a gut [feeling], I don’t have any inside information on that, you’re way better at that stuff than I am. I just have a feeling that Gerrit Cole has – first of all, he’s already made a bunch of money, right? So a couple million bucks here and there won’t be a big deal.

“Playing in New York is not for everybody. And maybe Gerrit Cole will thrive in New York. But if you told me, as the top free agent on the market, and I’m a West Coast guy, and the Dodgers and Angels are sitting there drooling over me. I’m probably going to look there before I look at the Yankees.”

The bigger question is will the Yankees make the effort for cole or just lowball him like they did Corbin a year ago.

Thread Information