+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2019 Team Appreciation Thread

This is a criticism-free thread for those of you who would like to express your appreciation for the success of the 2019 team. Although we would have all liked to see a championship this year, the team fought hard and making the final four is still a good accomplishment.

My personal recognitions:

DJ LeMahieu, who proved himself to be a pure hitter who could hit to all fields with power while playing solid defense at three infield positions. He was by far the best addition to the team this year.

Gleber Torres, who at the age of 22 broke out with big power and clutch hitting while playing good up the middle defense. Can't wait to see what he does over the next 10 years.

Brett Gardner, who held down center field while Hicks overcame his long-term injuries, providing power and team leadership. His durability and second half surge was surprising despite his age.

Gio Urshela, who was an emergency fill-in for Andujar and made one sparkling play after another at 3rd base while hitting over .300 all year with power. He's got the upper hand for 3rd base next season.

Mike Tauchman, who came out of nowhere and filled in while a slew of outfielders went on the IL, then had a tremendous second half both in the field and at the plate. He'll be playing in the majors for sure next season, maybe as our 4th outfielder.

Mike Ford, who got a shot late in the year and put up a .909 OPS in 160 PAs. He'll get a good look next year for sure.

Tommy Kahnle, who bounced back after a disappointing 2018 and posted a 1.06 WHIP in 61 relief innings with 27 holds.

Aaron Boone, who calmly dealt with record setting injuries to his team and guided them to an easy division title anyway, while elevating his own managing abilities from his freshman year.

Brian (a/k/a Brain) Cashman, who found all the spare parts that gave the team plenty of offensive depth to overcome the injury bug. Hopefully he gets the green light to bolster the starting pitching for next year.

It was a fun year for sure, and 2020 should be just as entertaining.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Team Appreciation Thread

Yeah disappointing ending for sure but fun group overcoming injuries all year.
    Team is set up well for 2020, should make another run at the brass ring in 2020.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Did we reach the destination? No, and that ending hurts.. But it is not just the destination that matters, it is the journey. And the journey this year was fun as hell. I am proud of the boys.. And I am looking forward tn what I hope is an exciting offseason and to coming back ready to rock and roll in 2020...

Failure is not falling off the horse, failure is not getting back on..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

I was pleasantly surprised by both Cameron Maybin and Edwin Encarnaciůn.

I enjoyed this season a lot. The way guys like Urshela, Tauchman, Maybin and Ford performed in much meatier roles than expected (especially Gio) was really great to watch, and I hope those guys can build on 2019 and continue to have success, here or elsewhere (well, Maybin may be past the point of building on anything, but he probably earned himself a nice chunk of change for 2020). The ending's awfully frustrating, but it was a fun ride, and the core of the team holds a lot of promise for the future.

This was a very likable group and a great team. Congrats and thank you on a great season that was fun to watch. There is a strong glimmer of hope for sustained success in the immediate future with this crew. Let's Go Yankees!

It was nice to root for an underdog. Won 103 games despite being the walking wounded, and they even ran away with the division. They should also be the 2020 AL favorites assuming Cole walks.

NYYF Legend

Was a fun regular season. DJ, Torres were outstanding. Gio a very pleasant suprise. Hopefully better things ahead in 2020.

NYYF Cy Young

Definitely was a fun team to watch, especially the newcomers DJ and Gio. Looking forward to 2020 - and to a newly confident Paxton in his second Yankee year.

It was really fun to watch the team come together through all the adversity and all the injuries to win the division for the first time in several years. Really looking forward to 2020

NYYF Cy Young

The only thing worse than not winning a World Series is watching a boring team, especially over the course of a full 162-game season.

This Yankees team was anything but boring. Young, energetic, dramatic, talented, extremely fun to watch.

I hope they continue to be fun and entertaining and eventually win #28 with this core plus some smart additions.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

DJL and Gleyber. I'll tell the truth. When DJL was signed I was calling him a back-up infielder. Guy came through in the season & more important in the playoffs. He just didn't have a high batting avg he drove in over 100. Hit with RISP. What more could you want. O ya he was a great fielder at several positions. I wish some of the other Yankees hitters would try and copy what he does...The tying HR in the 9th sealed the deal....

Gleyber continued to get better and should be even better next year. I doubt the Yankees go after Lindor so I think he will be the full time SS...

Honorable mention Gio. I didn't even know who he was. I hope he can keep it up next year. He also looks like he has fun playing....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...Ö
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Thanks for starting this thread, Bub. I agree with each and every one of your assessments.

For decades, I have absolutely loved the game of baseball, and particularly the Yankees. I enjoy it even more when my team over-achieves. Sure, championships are the goal, but this crew over-achieved all year long.

Going in to the season, if you had told me Aaron Judge would miss 60 games, and that Aaron Hicks would only play in 59, Stanton 18, Andujar 12, and that Luis Severino would make just 3 starts, or that Dellin Betances would appear in just one game.......well, I would not have thought the team would even sniff the playoffs.

But, those losses allowed for the return of Brett Gardner, and the rise of Urshela and Tauchman and Ford. And it's those surprises that make the games so much fun.

I love this game. I love this team. I can't wait for 2020.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised by both Cameron Maybin and Edwin Encarnaciůn.
    Edwin Encarnaciůn was one for fall. He hit a double that did not mean a thing. Automatic out when needed. If he hits, we beat the Astros.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    This is a criticism-free thread for those of you who would like to express your appreciation for the success of the 2019 team. Although we would have all liked to see a championship this year, the team fought hard and making the final four is still a good accomplishment.

My personal recognitions:

DJ LeMahieu, who proved himself to be a pure hitter who could hit to all fields with power while playing solid defense at three infield positions. He was by far the best addition to the team this year.

Gleber Torres, who at the age of 22 broke out with big power and clutch hitting while playing good up the middle defense. Can't wait to see what he does over the next 10 years.

Brett Gardner, who held down center field while Hicks overcame his long-term injuries, providing power and team leadership. His durability and second half surge was surprising despite his age.

Gio Urshela, who was an emergency fill-in for Andujar and made one sparkling play after another at 3rd base while hitting over .300 all year with power. He's got the upper hand for 3rd base next season.

Mike Tauchman, who came out of nowhere and filled in while a slew of outfielders went on the IL, then had a tremendous second half both in the field and at the plate. He'll be playing in the majors for sure next season, maybe as our 4th outfielder.

Mike Ford, who got a shot late in the year and put up a .909 OPS in 160 PAs. He'll get a good look next year for sure.

Tommy Kahnle, who bounced back after a disappointing 2018 and posted a 1.06 WHIP in 61 relief innings with 27 holds.

Aaron Boone, who calmly dealt with record setting injuries to his team and guided them to an easy division title anyway, while elevating his own managing abilities from his freshman year.

Brian (a/k/a Brain) Cashman, who found all the spare parts that gave the team plenty of offensive depth to overcome the injury bug. Hopefully he gets the green light to bolster the starting pitching for next year.

It was a fun year for sure, and 2020 should be just as entertaining.
    Great post!

I really appreciated the put the ball in play this years team showcased. It cut down on my stress screaming at all the Ks we had piled up in 2018.

DJ was quite the pickup and restored my faith in baseball knowing there’s still a spot for pure hitters that are wizards on defense.

Totally enjoyed this season, and totally surprised the Yankees did as well as they did. Get 'em next year ! Got a bet with myself who won't post in this thread.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

Honestly, I appreciate all of them ( Even you, Greg Bird ). Everyone contributed at least something...the 103 wins, while sleepwalking, was epic.
    The London weekend was nearly the death of me!

There is a difference between a failed season and a bad season. This was a failed one but for sure not a bad one!

Everyone has their player though. So I guess mine is Gio...I so hope this year was real because he was a delight to watch for six months.

NYYF Triple Crown

This was one of my best seasons watching the Yankees play in a long time. I loved seeing the kids play. Boone was so much better i was unbelievable. DJ was outstanding and Torres seem to get better throughout the season. I was so happy for Gardy because I always liked him. I do like our pen: Green, Kahnle, Ottavino, Chapman, and Britton. But I want to identify the players that stepped up: Urshela, Tauchman, Ford, and Wade, even Romine and Maybin. It was a great season - I actually thought we would win the WS but HOU was a better team. I live far away but went to 3 games this year and it's always 1-2 games but subscribe to MLB.TV. Thank you for a great season.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    This was one of my best seasons watching the Yankees play in a long time. I loved seeing the kids play. Boone was so much better i was unbelievable. DJ was outstanding and Torres seem to get better throughout the season. I was so happy for Gardy because I always liked him. I do like our pen: Green, Kahnle, Ottavino, Chapman, and Britton. But I want to identify the players that stepped up: Urshela, Tauchman, Ford, and Wade, even Romine and Maybin. It was a great season - I actually thought we would win the WS but HOU was a better team. I live far away but went to 3 games this year and it's always 1-2 games but subscribe to MLB.TV. Thank you for a great season.
    Boone really was much better this year.

He also gave us the "My guys are savages in the box!" umpire rant, so thank you Aaron for that.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

My favorite moment was watching a game this summer where Urshela, after fouling a pitch off his leg and writhing on the ground in pain for several minutes, got up, dusted himself off, and got back in the box. I was convinced he would have to leave the game, but there he was, getting ready for the very next pitch. And there he was again, this time fouling it off his other leg and back on the ground in pain for several more minutes. Again, convinced he would have to leave the game, I watched him get up, dust himself off, and get back in the box one more time. I don't remember what happened next, whether he got a hit or not, but it didn't matter. I was blown away but what a gamer this guy is. He is nails. Hope he's back at 3B again next year.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

I’ll catch hell for this on this board but the Yankees and their fans don’t hand out participation trophies. It’s a championship or nothing. The team failed and it’s been failing for this entire decade. Period. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynYankee View Post
    Iíll catch hell for this on this board but the Yankees and their fans donít hand out participation trophies. Itís a championship or nothing. The team failed and itís been failing for this entire decade. Period. End of story.
    Please take your un-appreciation to any other number of threads on this forum. Debbie Downer posts are not welcome here.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynYankee View Post
    Iíll catch hell for this on this board but the Yankees and their fans donít hand out participation trophies. Itís a championship or nothing. The team failed and itís been failing for this entire decade. Period. End of story.
    You seem nice.

Thank you Bud. Great thread.

For me this season was the most fun because so many contributed in ways other than the traditional Bronx Bombers. Next year could be even better with Seve and Andujar returning.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Honestly, I appreciate all of them ( Even you, Greg Bird ). Everyone contributed at least something...the 103 wins, while sleepwalking, was epic.
    The London weekend was nearly the death of me!

There is a difference between a failed season and a bad season. This was a failed one but for sure not a bad one!

Everyone has their player though. So I guess mine is Gio...I so hope this year was real because he was a delight to watch for six months.

Yeah, I agree so much with this. There's just something about watching a defensive wizard like that pick it at the hot corner and then throw lasers to first while off-balance, like

There was also a stretch in the middle of the summer when Didi and Torres were seemingly perfectly in sync in the middle infield, making beautiful bare-handed relays and such. ---especially during the London series
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Thread Information